Reviews for That Hard Fightin' Old Tech!
cklammer chapter 1 . 5/31/2010
Some like somebody loves that old pick-up ...
Christian chapter 1 . 5/28/2003
YES! Good ol' fashioned tech, pre Clan and Wizkids and all that rot!

Of course, Clanners are just cool...
Mad Minute chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
. . . Strange. Funy, but strange. :-D

I agree with part of what you say - the Clans and the arrival of all that Level 2 gear did kind of throw the whole game out of whack - too many options, too much min/maxing, not enough story-telling. (My favourite BT reading is by Stackpole's 'Warrior' trilogy and Charette's 'Wolves on the Border' and 'Heir to the Dragon'.)

You're right about the XL engines, especially when you combine them with first-generation CASE and ammo explosions. :-S I can't say I agree with all your points, though. Double heat sinks are virtually mandatory for anything mounting a significant energy arsenal (like my own personal favourite, the MAD-3R).

All that said, I *have* worked up a sort of 'Level 1.5 tech' gear-set for a series of campaigns I never got to play that postulated the Clan invasion never happened and the Fifth Succession War kicked off about 3051, with some factions packing Star League lostech. I even have a couple of fic plot-bunnies to go along with it. Anyone interested in hearing more?
Guest chapter 1 . 10/26/2002
I've only played the Mechwarrior 3 PC game, but I still have to say:

Go InnSphere Annihilator haulin' large pulsers and ER PPC's! Hell yeah!
Darth Yoshi chapter 1 . 9/29/2002
If I started singing this in the office, you will pay! Good job!
flamearrows chapter 1 . 9/28/2002
Pretty funny, and very appropriate. Cant say im an "old school" mechwarrior because i mainly play the gmaes but all the same... by the way when are you going to update your other stories, sea of stars and seekers?
TheNiceGuy chapter 1 . 9/26/2002
The point of this poem is the sense of nostalgia for us older players for the days of the Succession Wars. It's damn easy to play with L2 tech against L1 and win, but L1 against L2 tech is the true test of skill for the BT gamer.

And I'll like to note that the clans no longer have the tech advantage. I saw a game recently when a C3i-equipped six mech unit(Fed Suns) tore apart a clan heavy star in just 10 turns. Terrifying.

Really, all that new-fangled tech is nice and all, but it's still a good idea to avoid IS XL engines for medium and heavies. I lost count of the number of mechs that went down when their torsos are blown off. And what is it between CASE, ammo explosions, and XL engines?:D

In campaign mode gaming(like the merc campaign going on in my area), some technologies like XL engines are actually a liability. Clan tech is also nice, but cost THREE times the calculated price. A Mad Cat's base cost is 21 million C-bills. Multiply that by 3 to get 63 million c-bills! Man, I can buy a whole assault lance with that kind of money!

In fact, the best mechs I've seen that balance cost and battlefield effectiveness are mechs without XL engines, on either the clan or IS side.

The Kingfisher for example, configured properly is a real monster. The Hauptmann with a heavy gauss is yet another monster. Good ole L1 mechs like the Thunderbolt, Warhammer, Awesome and Marauder still bring a groan out of the OPFOR when they appear.

I suppose in the end it's up to the gaming group. As realistic as possible? All out high tech? All out low tech? But those who dare to play L1 against clan tech and the like are the 'real men'.(and I've seen a few)
Strikepenguin5 chapter 1 . 9/25/2002
What about ultra Acs? ER lasers? Gauss Rifles?

Come on, it ain't all bad.

Gimme one of them nice fast XLs

I pilot a spider and I'd like some more armor

a little more weapons and double heat sinks

so jumpin' and firing ain't hotter than hell

I need all the speed, I have little armor

If you shoot me I'm dead anyway

But if you can't hit me, well you must've missed me

and I'm still alive, and

YOUR rear armor is right in MY SIGHTS!

So give me some more of that awesome newtech

Longer range lasers piled up on my 'mech

with double heat sinks I can fire all day

Just stay at long range and then jump away

With pulse lasers now I can run at top speed

and hit like a sniper standing stock-still

My gauss rifle head chops just like an AC

but I don't heat up, and I've got twice the range

... or I could just play clan.