Reviews for Under the Surface
Guest chapter 22 . 2/8/2014
Good read!
WDW chapter 22 . 12/22/2013
Great concept, okay execution. I definitely enjoyed the ride, but Illyria's OOCness really stood out to me. Sure, she's an eldritch abomination, but I feel like she's been completely flanderized in this fic into the ultimate villain, much more one dimensional than she was on the show. I might have missed it, but she seemed less preoccupied with getting her army than certain (a tad over the top, IMHO) other plans. The whole drinking blood/devouring humans (not sure about that...) seemed like it was added just to make her more evil. Sure, the fic worked well this way, but I feel like it would have been a far more interesting plot if Illyria had been turned into a much more 3D villain.

With that said, I love the concept of Wesley being the infectee instead of Fred. I'm a bit surprised at how far AI went to save him, considering the recent circumstances, but if otherwise, there wouldn't have been a story. The Fred/Wesley moments were great and the alternate circumstances leading up to the beginning of Season 5 were inspired as well.

I'll be looking forward to the sequel.
Guest chapter 22 . 12/22/2013
Aww you have to bring Cordy back or I'll cry :'( this is a realy good story though cant wait for the next chapter
mossomness chapter 22 . 12/14/2013
Another perfect chapter, and another where my review can't do it justice. All the Wesley and Fred scenes are so adorable and romantic. I normally hate cutsy stuff, but I can't get enough of these two. I'm so sad that Illyria is still alive! (My sadness doesn't mean I think this is a bad story development. It's amazing.) I knew Wesley and Fred couldn't stay perfectly happy all of season 5, but Illyria isn't going to make it easy on them. They will get more than one week though, so they get more time together than they got on the show.
Was that a Justin Beiber reference? If so, it's hilarious!
I am so happy Lilah is sticking around for the next season. She is WAY better than Eve.
I yelled "No!" when Knox showed up. I hate him so much. He's going to cause the end of Fresley again. I hope he dies a painful death in this story.
I like how Lilah called Wes "Lover-boy" and he didn't get it. I hope Wesley finds out about their relationship at some point. Lilah being around him so much isn't going to be easy.
Season 5 was my favorite season of the show, so I'm really, really excited for the next story. Thanks again for writing this! It's been, and will continue to be, an amazing roller coaster ride of emotion.
Phalanx30 chapter 22 . 12/14/2013
Okay that clinched it, this is my new season 4.

Fred saying goodbye to the Hyperion was tear-worthy.

Ah, good for you Gunn and Lorne, finally found your feet.

Loved the Wes/Fred scene after the funeral, well done and very apt given what's happened.

Um Buffy, showing up for Cordy's funeral...just awesome.
Phalanx30 chapter 21 . 12/13/2013
Illyria is finally dead. Let's hear it for Fred, she took a level in badass and saved the frickin world.

Wes is awake, oh great there's going to be lots of fluffy Fresley, can there be too much fluff?

Ahh Lilah, she is still the coolest. Good job with time freeze, I wonder could it have stopped bullet mid-flight?

Thanks, this is shaping up to be a great setup for next season.
mossomness chapter 21 . 12/13/2013
There was so much greatness about this chapter, there's no way I could compliment it enough! Everyone's back together! (Except poor Cordelia, but at least she's in a better place and not in a coma). Lorne and Gunn are staying, and Connor didn't kill Anne. Wes and Fred are together, and apparently have been for a while! And their kiss (and being frozen in a kiss) was so romantic. Lilah might stick around. I'm not really sure about that one, but it sounded like she would stay around to torment Angel. Poor Lilah, though. She loves Wesley, but he'll never remember being with her, or how she helped him. Thank you, thank you, and thanks again for this story. I'm really excited to see where you're taking this!
mossomness chapter 20 . 12/9/2013
Dang. This is getting really sad. Nothing is going right at all off the AI crew. It seems Illyria is defeated for the most part, but not completely. I've been nervous about this chapter because of its title, but I didn't think Cordelia would die. I would hope she could come back, but I don't see how. I still hope Gunn will stay. Maybe with what happened with Cordy, he'll stick around. I really enjoyed the Wesley projection. It was the right kind of painful (and I miss him, so even a fake one makes me feel better). I really hope things turn around for the crew. In the show, this episode ended with hope. So hopefully it's on its way. But it is the Whedonverse, so who knows?
Phalanx30 chapter 20 . 12/9/2013
Gunn is right yet again, of course you kill Lindsey after what he tried to do. Besides he's allied with Illyria anyway, he's gonna try and help her. Oh, and him being all philosophical with Lorne was great. Lorney didn't you learn anything from when Fred let Illyria out of the cage.

Humanity is overrated Cordy, besides who is going to be the deterrent when the other Old Ones show up. I would rather have uber-Cordy than someone else taking that job.

Great set up for the flashback. Fred's reaction was perfect, bad things always happen here. And now Wes looks like the lucky one being insane and all.

Gunn, to quote Willow "Run, get out while there's still time." Go back to what you know and can deal with.

Angel, kill Illyria, a lot.
mossomness chapter 19 . 12/8/2013
Sorry it's taken so long to respond, I've been spending time with my family this weekend.
I'm glad Fred didn't mortally wound Gunn. But I'm really sad he wants to leave them after all this. Hopefully, they'll get offered Wolfram & Hart after they defeat Illyria, and Gunn will feel like he has a reason to stay. I still love Fred's loyalty (love) to Wesley. I want him to wake up so badly! The whole time Cordelia and Angel have been in there, I've wanted there to be a confrontation with Wesley. So when he was in the last circle, I yelled "yes!" out loud. No joke. I'm just so excited. And I'm ecstatic that you're planning a sequel. Season 5 is my favorite. I have no idea how you'll do it without Illyria, but I'm sure it will be awesome. (And PLEASE don't leave Wes in a coma like Cordy was in the show. I don't think I could emotionally handle that.)
Phalanx30 chapter 19 . 12/6/2013
So, shot in the foot and he wants to leave, good for you. Leave the next big bad to the others. Go back to dusting vamps, need guys like you to keep the low level evil out of the way.

Poor Fred, unwilling to give up on Wes. Wait a minute, will Fred be drawn into this Illyr-hell?

Wes at the center. This is gonna be fun for all age groups.

Lorne and Lindsey- good times as always with them.

Lorne is the Xander of the team, so does that make Cordy the Willow?
mossomness chapter 18 . 12/3/2013
Ahhhhh! I can't believe what's happening with Fred and Gunn right now. I understand where Gunn is coming from, but I'm completely on Fred's side. Maybe she could just shoot him in the leg to stop him, not seriously hurt him. Hopefully Lorne gets there in time so she doesn't have to (but right after she admits she loves Wesley - cause that would be great). Having Illyria create a Dante's inferno is a really cool idea. The only things I really know about it, I learned when Lilah and Wesley talked about it in the show. So this is a cool literature lesson for me.
Hopefully, Connor can come back from this. He's making such bad decisions, I hope everyone will forgive him. Thanks again for this story, it is really amazing and well written. I'm sad it's drawing close to the end.
Phalanx30 chapter 18 . 12/3/2013
Wow, a cliff-hanger, that is just mean. I kidd of course. A Don't Mess with Wesley moment, I am actually giddy over it. Let's hear it for Team Fred, they're small but plucky and unpredictable.

Gunn just might be right, I mean Wes is insane anyway, so maybe finishing what Wes started (trying to off himself) would be merciful. And it would kill Illyria too so bonus.

Okay, the First, hate the entity, love bringing it in like that.

I wonder if for Angel's torments Giles or Ms Calender would show up. I know the latter has been done before in the show, but it could still be interesting.

Lindsey shooting Lorne, nice twist.

Poor Wes, through all of this he is still just coma-guy, he is really missing out.

Now it's gotten even better than before. This is my new season 4, bah to the fluffy apocalypse. Good ol' violence and torment.
Phalanx30 chapter 17 . 12/3/2013
Crap, Connor going after everyone, hope Fred has a taser handy?

New big good Cordy, and non-merc Skip, like'em both. Though Skip getting killed in the show was one of Wesley's finest "Don't Mess with Fred" moments.

Ah, Illyria-hell, and Angel-Cordy goodness. I wonder what Wes's fear is?

Come on Fred, you can get through to Wesley, liked the watchful (heh, watching the watcher) Fred. She needs to have more weapons around to survive.

Gunn vs Connor could be a good, if short, fight. Gunn would think he could go head-to-head with him and get thrashed for it.

Ooh, lyri has it in for Faith, i wonder what would happen if a couple dozen Slayers went up against her?

Cordy-vs-Buffy let the debate continue. Like'em both though.

Lindsey, get over your sibling rivalry-like relationship with Angel.

Cool the Hyperion is finally being used as a hotel.

Still totally great, you've got a classic running here. Thanks for the chapter.
mossomness chapter 17 . 12/2/2013
This is getting really intense, and I love it. I really like how Illyria can make everyone see their greatest fears. That would be a terrifying power. I loved all the moments with Fred in this one. From her having to face her fear to being so overwhelmed. It was a very human moment, and I'm glad it was included. I don't know how it will happen, but I hope Wes' mind comes back soon. I really miss him.