Reviews for Shadows Lengthen Ere Close of Day
I love this story. It is always interesting to see events from the book portrayed from a different point of view. In particular, Gadron's perception of Aragorn is brilliant. Thanks for writing this.
elsa3beth chapter 1 . 1/18
wonderful short story - love your OC and your portrayal of Aragorn
LadyOfAnfalas chapter 1 . 1/14
This was really well written and you wrote the characters well. I particularly liked what you said about Boromir.
ralucam chapter 1 . 3/10/2014
I love this
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 2/10/2014
Brilliant.
Almecestris chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
Always love a good story/chapter about a non-major character's perspective on key events. It lends a "human" angle to the situation. Very well-written and insightful on what a typical Gondorian soldier would think about the return of a long-lost king. Great one-shot! Hope you continue writing because this is just amazing :)
Mockingtale chapter 1 . 11/22/2013
I really enjoyed this story. You've portrayed the men's perspectives wonderfully. This is an interesting view on the very real fears and thoughts before their stand at the Black Gates, especially how it all leads to their choice to inevitably pledge their loyalty to Elessar despite their preference for the Steward's sons. Awesome one-shot!
Magil chapter 1 . 11/20/2013
This was one of my favorite entries at Teitho. I'll even admit that after I read it, I was keenly concerned it would slip by unnoticed by other readers because of the original character focus and pov, and I was very glad to see it placed and that readers have grasped onto the honed skill evident in your writing. On the whole, I found the stories that placed in this round to be exceptionally unique in one form or another, with wonderful depth and imagery. In particular in this round my favorite stories seemed to take what could be considered old or familiar situations or themes and really make them new again, letting us as readers see familiar events with new eyes, and feel them with new emotion. This and Resonance were primary examples of this, which I found wonderful.

Here, I loved seeing Aragorn's leadership, hope, and worry from this distant perspective, his charge toward the gate, his worry for Frodo and all his men. I loved the background struggle of your OC, his fealty to Faramir, his realism, and the factors that have taken him on this road. All beautifully portrayed. All very believable.

As some of your other reviewers have noted, I too felt the Henry V Shakespearean connection and similarity with Aragorn moving amongst the men before the battle, though not in quite the secret form as Henry V did in Shakespeare's portrayal. I don't know if you intended it or not, but it was a beautiful touch.
nyx thranduillon chapter 1 . 11/20/2013
Excellently written. If this only got 2nd place I must find the winner. You really capture the different feelings soldiers must go through as they wait to fight. Love it!
Minstrel of Gondor chapter 1 . 11/20/2013
I love it how Aragorn seems so similar to Henry V in shakespeare. One of my favourite moments is when he vists his men before the battle of azincourt. Also my favourites libe to perform as chorus.
"..Oh now who shall
Behold the royal captain of this ruined band
Walking from watch to watch from tent to tent
For forth he goes and visits all his host
...Every wretch pinning and pale before
Beholding him plucks comfort from his looks
...Thawing cold fear that mean and gentle all
Behold as may unworthiness define
A little touch of Harry in the night"
(act4 prologue - chorus)

quaff chapter 1 . 11/18/2013
Brilliant story. Thank you for writing it.
sailor68 chapter 1 . 11/18/2013
Wow, what a great story! Well done!
BrightWatcher chapter 1 . 11/15/2013
*tilts head*

You never disappoint. EVER. You always end up exceeding each expectation to the point I've resigned myself to saying "oh yay an update from MP Brennan! It's going to be amazing!" And lo, It Always Is. :D

Good luck with your writer's muse!
seafarer chapter 1 . 11/15/2013
Beautiful. This just tears your heart up. I'm so glad that you wrote this.
Eildon Rhymer chapter 1 . 11/15/2013
I love this very much. I love outsider viewpoints, and I have a particular thing for ones in which the narrator is initially unimpressed by my favourite character and is gradually won over, so this is just perfect for me, and beautifully executed. Part of me would love to see more of Gadron, and hear his take on the happenings of the next few months and see him regain his self-respect... but at the same time, it's not necessary; the ending is just right as it is.