Reviews for Encounter in Darkness
TheWickedTruth89 chapter 1 . 2/18
Great chapter, can't wait for more.
Alkeni chapter 1 . 3/9/2016
Very interesting. I like this peek into the yahg.
flamedwing chapter 1 . 8/3/2015
I found the yahg interesting and wondered what the culture and of purely carnivore species would be like. They were portrayed as all obviously evil, but one of the strengths of ME was turning 'racial stereotypes' on their head. Unfortunately the yahg didn't get much of a chance at that.

I like the idea of a yahg enjoying chess. I've never been good at chess, myself, but considering that it's basically a simplified strategy-version of war planning, I think it's an appropriate game for an intellectual yahg. I also like the idea of Liara befriending him. I imagine Shepard's charismatic influence lingers on.
bluekrishna chapter 1 . 11/17/2014
Welly welly weeeell, that was an interesting fic. No doubt about it. A yahg playing diplomat, eh? Very intriguing. Liara is in fine form here. I heard her so clearly, so distinctly that I found no reason whatsoever to doubt this string of events. It could be just an extension of canon, it's that believable. Just clean and sharp, like most of your work.

So the yahg want a fair stab at galactic involvement, hmm? Why not. Who knows what may happen in a generation or two. Give them a millennium and they might be so civilized, they have Starbucks on every corner and skinny jeans and hipster glasses and the whole shebang! lol, picturing a hipster yahg. (/yawn. "eating people is sooooo last century")

Anyway, I liked it and I couldn't find a single error. Cheers!
mordreek chapter 1 . 7/14/2014
Very intriguing and enjoyable to read. Show cased the true adaptability of predators and dominance minded species
RED78910 chapter 1 . 5/5/2014
Interesting idea for a story. Never thought that a Yahg would ever learn to behave in a civilized manor, and to Liara of all people.

Now to something of a question, but more of a series of observations, guesses, and predictions.

I just finished "The Reaper War' and in the epilogue it says Liara had a child. Was this piece meant to be part of a series of papers Liara wrote for said child? Because in the beginning it seems less like this particular piece was written for a wide audience and more like being written for somebody Liara knew. Most likely her own daughter.

Liara says that remembering Shepard was something that 'your mother always tolerated.' Also, later you described Nerylla as being scared 'whenever any of our family were in danger.' These few sentences are very telling for what happened to her after the war.

First, it is revealed that Liara found someone to love soon after the war, as is referenced in the one shot with Liara's father as she dies. It is even stated that Liara and her bondmate were maidens when they were first together.

Second, Liara is revealed to be the father of her children, as shown by the early sentences. This leaves me wondering if she and Vara got together after the war, as she is really the only character that I know of that Liara may have become involved with. (I see Aspasia as just being a good friend, but I guess that is also a possibility?)

Third, it gives us a fairly good idea of galactic politics after the war, the old Council clearly having been replaced with something else.

You state that your intention was to give Liara and Shepard a 'happy ending' but Liara seems to already have had hers. Yes, I believe that Shepard may be the one she loved the most of all the people she could have met, but if she already had a family with someone else, even if Shepard could be brought back to life again, wouldn't that just cause a lot of problems for everyone if Liara's still with whoever it is she ended up marrying?

Just a few thoughts. Excellent work as always.
Desert Sunrise chapter 1 . 4/20/2014
Love your stories, love a strong T'Soni... Liara is one of my favorites. Have timing issues with this story being in the early 2250s. Shepard was born in 2154, so would only be 100ish, when humans supposedly live to their 150s... Yet comments about looking to the stars in remembrance of Shepard and chess WAS not one of his skills leads me to infer Shepard is dead. What happened to goal 2... happy ending and little blue children? I wouldn't think living to only 2/3 of his expected lifespan would not be very 'happy ending-ish.' Just saying.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/24/2014
This is excellent. I do hope that at some point in the future you will have a chance to write more in your Memoirs continuity post-Reaper War :)
FasterGhost chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
Dr. Liara T'Soni friends with a yahg... that's something I thought that I would never see :D

Ah, Salarians... they just never learn. Good story.
Saren chapter 1 . 2/8/2014
Interesting chapter.

I hope you eventually revisit this and expand on both the backstory and Liara's strange new friendship.
SpiritOfSherwood chapter 1 . 12/1/2013
Salarians had that coming to them. Bloody idiots finally uplifted a problem with too many teeth for them to reign in effectively.
Janizary chapter 1 . 11/19/2013
Now if he had just sipped from a cup of tea with a fez perched on his head the image would be complete. ;)

Did you come up with the moves from their game, or give homage to a historical game? Marbles and plastic hippos are about my speed so I was curious :D
eriskbo chapter 1 . 11/16/2013
This fascinating short had me thinking of the famous line from Fallout "War... War never changes."

That's certainly our experience. The generation that won 'The Great War', 'The War to End All Wars', faced sending their sons to yet another epic conflict in 1939 and then after it was won faced decades of the threat of nuclear annihilation. So too the Rachni War leads to the Krogan Rebellion and the genophage, then the Reaper War leads to the Salarian War and the Yargh Rebellion and then the Yargh conquest of the Galaxy.

This however turns on a deceptively simple question "Why War?". War for humans is part of our nature growing out of our territoriality which is a result of our need to compete for resources to support expanding populations. But in 'The Future' would not technology make such a competition for resources unnecessary as explored in the Star Trek Universe? Fusion and Anti Matter offer the possibility on unlimited sources of energy available to all which in turn offers the prospect of unlimited sources of raw materials. Dare we imagine a future were war no longer exists?

That would be a huge challenge for SF writers though such war is such a great basis for a story :)
FloridaMagpie chapter 1 . 11/16/2013
A very interesting little vignette, and a near first into the xenopsychology of the yahg. I have to admit, though, that I'm having trouble picturing exactly *how* a creature the size of a suv with six-inch talons and hands the size of trash can lids would play chess. As the man said, " the sheer mechanics are mind boggling."
Phygmalion chapter 1 . 11/16/2013
That was an... interesting chapter. Quite a few spoilers for how The Reaper War will end, as well as hints as to the aftermath. At least this explains the references to future conflict with the salarians. Great job, here, especially with the chess game and your workings into the yagh mindset. It has great promise. Looking forward to the next chapter!