Reviews for Broken Man
theHuntgoeson chapter 7 . 1/20
I have just come across this story, and I find it remarkable. Your writing of Javert's torment is horrifyingly powerful and so true to the character, it is quite unlike anything else I have read in fan fiction. And I love the way you write Cosette, who is so often dismissed as a pink-and-white milksop but is actually a young woman with great strength of character and considerable determination. Your development of their unlikely but increasingly strong friendship is beautifully done. In this latest chapter, the image of her cradling him in his despair makes her Cordelia to his Lear. I also like the way you write her relationship with Marius, with her tart reminder that Javert is not the only man to cry out in the night (might she even be jealous of Marius's tears for Eponine?). How I wish you had written one more chapter, to let us know how Javert reacts when he awakens to find himself in a comfortable bed, free of the asylum and under Cosette's protection. But what you have given us is astonishing. Well done.
BladedBlossom chapter 6 . 3/26/2018
This is quite deep. These chapters are a lot to take in, so it's hard to comment on everything.

I feel badly that Javert attacked the guards. There goes that brief bout of freedom of movement.

I can't believe Cosette said the word "whore." It just seems...uncharacteristic.

Also, I think you mean "vicious" instead of "viscous." Two very different words that I find jarring enough to be pulled out of the story. There was also a point where you have "sign" instead of "sigh" and "certainly" instead of "certainty," but they aren't in this chapter.

Javert finally breaking down into tears was well justified. Felt completely understandable given the context of this story.
BladedBlossom chapter 5 . 3/26/2018
Interesting backstory. I don't have any better ideas. But it certainly explains why he hates criminals so much.
BladedBlossom chapter 4 . 3/26/2018
I'm such a sucker for hurt/comfort. Javert explaining that he couldn't take the prospect of twenty more years of the cruelty of the asylum was heartbreaking. Dying cold and alone. Just so terrible.

I love the ending of this chapter. Javert finally getting to lie down and Cosette watching over him.
BladedBlossom chapter 3 . 3/26/2018
This was very well done. I could feel Javert's rage and Cosette's grief and Javert's emptiness when he discovered Valjean was gone. I think the interactions were totally credible.

There are some typos and minor mechanical errors that I noticed, but I appreciate you don't waste words. Fanfiction is a fun hobby for me, too. I think grammar is important even if this is just for recreation. It's about aesthetics and attracting discerning readers. But I can understand your position, too.

Off to see what happens next.
BladedBlossom chapter 2 . 3/26/2018
This is quite bleak, but I appreciate the vividness. I love the irony and justice in having Javert basically be a prisoner. All he can do is think in solitary confinement, where even light is denied and he's forced to conserve water. That's just brutal. Water is an essential thing, as is light for anyone who can see it. He doesn't need anyone to whip him. He does it to himself. I pity him, but at the same time, I feel like he deserves this.
BladedBlossom chapter 1 . 3/26/2018
I am liking this so far. Poor Javert. Just a guy who wanted to do right and went about it the wrong way. To be fair, though, he probably didn't have too many good role models. I wonder if he even knew the love of his mother. For all I know, she died of illness or even giving birth to him.
Violet Tan chapter 7 . 5/24/2015
Love this story:)
Amari412 chapter 7 . 11/26/2014
Yes! I finally found this story again. Im sorry I didn't review the first time around but im so glad I found this :D
That being said, this is without a doubt one of my favorite fics on this site. Everyones in character and I could see this happening had javert actually survived. Cosette is awesome in this story and I just wanna hug everyone in this cause its so sad but this last chaper...oh I can only hope this works
Oriola chapter 7 . 10/12/2014
I love your story and am very glad I found it. I look forward to next chapter!
Katherine NotGreat chapter 7 . 3/22/2014
YAY! (crazydance:))))))))
Katherine NotGreat chapter 6 . 1/29/2014
I agree with my friend below - it's poignant to the core! Cannot wait for more!
tragicbeauty1991 chapter 6 . 1/28/2014
Every time I come to think that I couldn't possibly love this story more, you write another chapter and prove me wrong. If I could favorite this a thousand times, I would! I know I've said this before, but this is undoubtedly my favorite chapter yet. You write in such a way that any reader with an ounce of human sympathy has his/her heart break right along with Javert's. We feel his shame, his suffering, his physical and emotional agony. It literally HURTS for me to think of Javert in such a state, and if I wasn't already extremely fond of the former inspector, your story surely would have made me come to love him. The sentence, "Some would call it pride, Cosette knew it only as Javert," is absolute perfection. Javert IS proud of himself for how far he's come in life by not only NOT becoming his parents but by becoming the law incarnate-and rightly so! But there is so much self-loathing underneath that few people (aside from Cosette) have ever seen. Cosette is getting a glimpse of the "real" Javert, the Javert that only the former policeman himself knows, and that more than anything, is terrifying for him. It's not just the fact that he's helpless or that she's Valjean's daughter, it's that she genuine cares about him-and to some extent, he gradually seems to be coming to enjoy her company. And that's something entirely new for him. Javert has never allowed himself to feel anything because he fears the pain that he will feel if he does. For him, love is not worth the loss. In loving someone, we give up a part of ourselves, and Javert has always been his own man. He does not want companionship because he does not want to make himself vulnerable in any way. He feels so alone, and yet when anyone attempts to remedy his isolation, he tends to push them away. Accepting Cosette is a MAJOR step for him emotionally. He's even starting to tell her of his past and to lightly joke with her ("I have my orders."). It seems as though all is going well...and then the madness hits. My goodness! Dig my heart out with a spoon and step on it, why don't ya?! You have made me feel more than I think I ever have reading any other fanfic, and though I like to think of myself as a good writer, you put all my work to shame with the emotion you capture here. My heart is breaking...
tragicbeauty1991 chapter 5 . 1/8/2014
I'm always SO excited to see that your story has been updated, as this is quickly becoming my favorite Javert fanfic. :) I must admit, I was a little sad that adult-Javert was not featured very heavily in this chapter (at least, not in a conscious state), but I found your explanation of his past to be interesting and believable. I could definitely see his mother's betrayal as a motivation for him to come to despise his race and prisoners in general. The only thing that threw me off a little was the idea of Javert himself being a thief as a child. On one hand, I could see it happening given his background- a prison isn't exactly an ideal place to grow up!-but on the other, it seems odd that he would think "once a thief, forever a thief" for Valjean if he knew that he himself was capable of turning over a new leaf. Still, it's a very plausible explanation of why Javert is so dedicated to his job. As always, I will be impatiently awaiting your next update! :)
MrsJavert chapter 4 . 12/27/2013
Greetings readers!
Thank you for the amazing reviews!

I do not know if this site has uploaded this 4th chapter correctly. On my home PC this chapter seems to abruptly stop part way through (despite the full chapter being complete in the document manager).

It should end with "End chapter 4". If it cuts off part way your end, please bare with me as I think it is a glitch with the site when it was uploaded.