Reviews for Just a Little Consolation
Guest chapter 1 . 12/15/2013
this is so it
Hummingbird2 chapter 1 . 11/26/2013
Confusing? Not at all. In fact, I dare say it was quite brilliant! Your characterizations were perfect, and I could easily see and hear them talking, thank you very much.
NoraAnne1929 chapter 1 . 11/20/2013
The banter throughout this story is absolute PERFECTION. It just doesn't get any better!

I have to point out my favorite spots:
These three lines had me laughing aloud:

Processing this alternative for a beat, Jack blinked. "You just called me a pot."

Utterly crestfallen, O'Neill whined in protest. "I'm not a pot."

"Oh great, now I'm a figurative pot - whatever the heck that is. You sure know how to cheer a guy up."
I love, love, love the way Jack keeps asking if he called Daniel... I giggled every single time. :)

"You know I was doing just fine in here by myself! Just me, myself and I . . . are you sure I called you?"
This description is hilarious:
"It makes you look like an intergalactic Mister Rogers."
You are incredibly talented at combining humorous dialogue with little dramatic glimpses of deep emotions within the characters. For instance:

Flexing the muscles along his jawline, O'Neill intensified his stare. He had spent years building internal walls to prevent just this sort of thing from happening. Walls meant to protect himself from pain; from prying eyes; from the truth . . .

So why was it that in the face of this geek - this one, wide-eyed, Ascended geek - those walls seemed to be made of glass?
Love this:
"Oh yeah?" O'Neill's tone lit with anticipation. "So, the next time he comes around, can I break his pencil and tell him he looks like an ink blot?"
This part really pulls on the heart... SO sweet.

"I wasn't gonna do it, you know."

Quiet, bordering on inaudible, the Colonel's statement rung through the air like thin, shattering glass. It hung for a time - unanswered, unchallenged - but finally Daniel spoke.

"What, Jack?" he prompted gently. "What weren't you going to do?"

"Let you . . . go."

"Why did you?"

There was a bitter grunt as O'Neill shook his head. Taught muscles and dark, brooding eyes completed the picture; their presence again revealing untold emotion.

The answer to Daniel's question was not hard. If anything, it was all too simple...

"S'what you wanted."

"That never stopped you from saying 'no' to me before."

The Colonel rolled his shoulder in a movement that fell just shy of seeming nonchalant. Then in a lowered, reluctant voice he answered. "You said 'please' . . . jerk."

A bittersweet smile touched Jackson's lips. He hadn't heard 'jerk' spoken that fondly in ages . . .
And then there's this... by far, my favorite part.

"Look, Jack, all I'm saying is, it was time for me to move on - and, when it came right down to it, *you* were the only one willing to see that. Sometimes that's what true friendship means."

"What? Being the only one who's willing to give up?"

"No. Being the one who cares enough to let go."

Bright, chocolate hued eyes gazed up at the archaeologist. Sadness still clouded their depths, but now, instead of anger, they suddenly reflected a measure of acceptance. Acceptance and perhaps just the smallest trace of understanding...
Just as I'm wiping tears away, you bring more fun into the piece:

"You know," he began, his tone serious. ". . . That just might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say."

For a moment, both men stared at each other, frowns etched on their faces. Then in a snap, it happened. Daniel snorted, Jack grinned and two simultaneous bursts of laughter filled the air. Before things could escalate too far, O'Neill sent a pillow sailing through Jackson's form.
I LOVE the banter about a "yellow hello" and the explanation of Jack's favorite color. :) Just perfect!
Your stories just continue to get better and better. I'm looking forward to your next one with great anticipation! :)
livingandthriving chapter 1 . 11/18/2013
You know, I think I may just like Jack and Daniel's banter even more when Daniel was ascended. The situation somehow adds another layer of absurdity to their already wacky exchanges. :)
PatriciaS chapter 1 . 11/18/2013
Loved reading this one and very different from the others that dealt with the aftermath of the episode. Smiles and sadness with the hints on the way were great, and Jack and Daniel at their best ... friends working through issues, giving and getting support from each other. Liked the way you pointed out that Jack was still being held against his will even though it was for good reasons it would have added to his frustration, and how Daniel told Jack he needed to accept Jonas... Jack's right the man was bouncy and good in his own way as well as being a good contrast to Daniel. Thanks for taking the time and sharing.
pain in the mikta chapter 1 . 11/18/2013
Very enjoyable read, the kind that has you smiling all the way with those occasional bits of insight that gets to ya just right!
Luved it.
P.S. I don't think that Jack needs that much help in the vocabulary department, though, since I'm with Cassie's opinion on his intellect... ;-)
RoseA26 chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
LOLOL...excellent! Loved this, so nicely written and you have captured their personalities and friendship perfectly. I'm still grinning here! Thanks.
Smiffy11052 chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
I don't know how you do it but another great story. Made me laugh out loud but in places a little sad. Thank you
judybear236 chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
Hahaha! Great chapter and voices, as always!

These two are so much fun!

Thank you!
Noxbait chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
"Why did his mind have to pick now of all times to start agreeing with Daniel?" Oh how I adored that line! ;)

Love how you gave Jack a reason to like the color peridot. wow...way to pull...no yank on the heartstrings there my dear. Head canon accepted and fully integrated into my reality. ;)

I loved this story. I totally did not see it coming! I was very surprised when I caught on to the timing of this gem and the fact that Daniel wasn't 'really' there. Beautiful job you did here of writing a unique story as a tag to Abyss. I've read many, and many are very good, but I've never read one as good and unique as this one. I love it when something catches me off guard and just does something completely different.

I love how you had the two of them address so many issues, as well. I mean, really, they worked through Daniel's departure and all that went along with that, while also providing some comfort and closure to what Jack had just gone through.

You captured their personalities, their conflicts and commonalities so well. You do such a great job and I was thrilled to see a new story from you! :)
I really, really loved this one!
TEvans3 chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
Loved it. So bloody funny and so Jack and Daniel. Love the peridot thing... I also wondered how Jack knew of such a word LOL
Yol chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
This was very cute, although at times had a hard time knowing who was talking. The way the two carried on at times was oh so funny. thanks for sharing this story.