Reviews for Thankful for Misfortune
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 21 . 2/23
Pretty good chapter. You were able to describe things happening instead of just "we hit it, it hit us, we tried to get out of the way, we healed when necessary". Although I still think it's wrong for a kid with no combat experience to be the one coming up with plans.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 19 . 2/23
Nice chapter. Good conversations, good thoughts, good actions.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 18 . 2/23
Excellent changes to the Pulse Invasion conversation. That's the type of thing I was hoping for in one of my earlier reviews that complained about copy-pasted conversations aside from OC additions.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 17 . 2/23
Well, surprisingly good chapter. If you see my previous review, I thought it would've turned out horribly. I was wrong.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 16 . 2/23
It does seem better than the last. Useful additions/interactions. Although it's so cliché for the OC to go with Hope and Lightning.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 14 . 2/23
Good with the food and the breaks. I think there were a couple of lines changed, which I like. Interesting to have them discuss spells instead of just using them and not caring.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 13 . 2/23
Weapon switching. Interesting.

Nothing feels out of place in this chapter.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 11 . 2/23
The chapter was fine. Not too different from the game in any good or bad ways.
You quite often use "quite" instead of "quiet". Also, sometimes you say "an l'Cie" instead of "a l'Cie", and I think in chapter 10? you called Cie'ths l'Cie by accident (when Snow first punches one with magic).
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 9 . 2/22
Eh, a bit too much control for the OC again... Telling everyone combat tactics, as a 14-year-old who first had real combat experiences only that day. Since there is no discussion during a battle (in a game!), someone more leader-y should have had some of those lines. But for the most part the OC has been fine.

And that's Pulse, not Anima, when they're in the black space with bells. Fal'Cie choose l'Cie, and their deity (Pulse or Lindzei) teleports? them or makes them dream? or something while it brands them. I felt it would be good to point out since the story is following the game's closely.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 8 . 2/22
Eh... a bit much for the OC once again. Some lines could be added to the original characters, it doesn't need to be exactly the same conversations with OC interjections and responses to the OC.

Heh. For glory? nah. For the win? nah. For family? nah. For friends? nah. For personal values? nah. For Energy Bars!
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 6 . 2/22
You had me worried when the OC was being almost-too-influential with Sazh, but then she finally stopped being verbally invincible (I hate when OCs are invincible in conversations, just not right) when Light told her off. Pleasant reading.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 5 . 2/22
Explaining save/store points! And including food! Oh the things stories can do that games usually don't.

Interactions between the OC and other characters feel right. A lot better than most OCs, who usually either manage to befriend Lightning in two minutes, or have so few interactions it seems like it isn't worth having them in the story.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 2 . 2/22
Heh, explaining the almighty Inventory and Treasure. Kind of like some fics that try to explain enemies turning to black smoke. Makes it interesting when most of it has to be the same story in the beginning.
Xyzantylzethyrioses chapter 1 . 2/22
One of the first OC-centric stories I've seen with a reasonable (so far!) OC. A reasonable past and personality. Of course a military parent would consider training their kid. No cliché dual swords (the OCs in probably half the stories use dual swords! it's not really worth it), and although at first I thought it was stupid that the character gets a gunblade, seeing that she favors gun mode and that she's probably not teh uberest fighter in da whole gol dern world makes me fine with the decision.
xcess chapter 22 . 2/11
Oh finally Taylor is introduced, I was wondering when she'll be in a flashback or actually appear in the story. The pacing is a little slow for me but it's not terrible and I found Vira's reaction to Lightning's smirk amusing.
60 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »