Reviews for A Clockwork Carol
Miss Femm chapter 2 . 5/31/2016
Oh man, I wish you had continued this. It's beautiful and funny. You keep old Alex in character while still allowing him some humanity.
Nova Sinfonia chapter 2 . 1/9/2014
Sorry I didn't see your second chapter earlier. This scene was actually quite moving. Even though the break-up itself wasn't that dramatic (aside from Alex insulting Rachel cruelly for no apparent reason), Alex's feeling of regret was believable and well-expressed. I think it's this regret, rather than the fact she dies later, that makes this part so sad.

Please continue! And maybe with a lighter/funnier one, if you like. It doesn't matter that it's not the holidays anymore!
RabbitHash2016 chapter 2 . 1/5/2014
Huhhhhhh...so he DID have a date, but he abandoned her...wonder why? Totally up to you if you want to give a reason, but I couldn't help but wonder about this. Anyway...sorry for being so late and taking so long. The past few months haven't exactly been kind to me...this time, though, I'm gonna go out of my way to come back here at least one more time during this month so I can catch up. Promise. :3

Weasley
RabbitHash2016 chapter 1 . 1/5/2014
Interesting take on this old tale...wouldn't it be something if Alex ends up learning absolutely nothing and doesn't reform in the end like Scrooge...?
WhiteRusskie chapter 2 . 12/11/2013
this is turning out to be an interesting story. I usually don't like Christmas themed stories but there are some exceptions.
demonbarber14 chapter 2 . 12/11/2013
Well, that was sad. And I can't believe she died. At least in the original, you got the feeling that Scrooge could at least see Belle again and apologize to her, but Alex doesn't have that option, does he? It could be an important lesson for him, though; you can't always go back and fix things. I also really like how you keep the details unclear (why did they fight? How did she die? Was this before, after, or during his criminal activities?, etc.). It's a really interesting, slice-of-life scene as is and might have gotten bogged down with too much exposition. Also, if you decide to expand on the Rachel plotline, we already know the basics about her and her relationship with Alex, so there wouldn't be any need for any real exposition there either.
Anyway, awesome job and I can't wait for more!
bibliophilechild chapter 1 . 12/8/2013
Yay, new story! And a very cool concept. Can't wait for more!
Nova Sinfonia chapter 1 . 12/1/2013
This is clever and you should continue! I like the backstory you've given Alex, and I laughed at Pete's lazy attitudes towards his ghost duties.
DaiquiriIce chapter 1 . 11/25/2013
Oh yes, this is awesome. I simply love your writing style and I admire your ability to use nadsat. I've found it quite difficult to use but you do it extremely well. I actually thought it would be Georgie as Marley but Pete fits so much better since he's actually the only one I've ever pictured as Alex's friend. And I love how you've described Alex's relationship with his parents although that bit made me sad... however another thing I really appreciate in your stories, and it shows here too, is that you stay true to Alex's personality. He isn't a nice guy and I think nothing would make him a loving son, partner or anything else. Except maybe three ghosts ;) Looking forward to read more! xx
demonbarber14 chapter 1 . 11/21/2013
Whoa, this is perfect! I mean…just…whoa. So, first of all, the general concept is really funny. I mean, if every TV show gets a “Christmas Carol”-based episode, why shouldn’t every fandom get a similar fic?
As for the execution, again, it just works so well! I especially love Pete as Marley; it’s a great parallel to the original story (dead companion who was just as bad, if not worse than the protagonist and who died before he could repent in life) and the way you do it is really funny! I also like how you make it clear from the start that it could all be a dream. After all, he’s just had some severe head trauma, I don’t think he'd be able to walk so well, and the hospital probably shouldn’t be totally empty. It could also be that because of the magic going on, he’s in some kind of other dimension. And we even get the classic “humbug” moment when the first spirit is late! I also like the touch of his not throwing up when he time travels; I’m guessing his vast experience with Milk-plus has made him somewhat immune to feelings of flying through space and time. And the memory itself is so sad! I mean, they do seem like such a loving family, and I feel so sorry for Alex’s parents. Clearly they’re trying, but he loses all respect for them nonetheless.
Looking ahead, the ending could work either way. It could have the traditional Christmas Carol finish (makes sense, seeing how he does reform at the end of the book), or it could have the Blackadder-style ending with the moral “Bad guys have all the fun” (also makes sense, seeing as it is Alex we’re dealing with, and his reformation takes a while). Either way, I look forward to seeing what happens!