Reviews for Grey Curtain
Certh chapter 1 . 12/28/2013
Simply beautiful. It expresses Frodo's emotions after the Quest wonderfully - his feeling there is nothing more he can contribute to in the Shire, his feeling lonely in a crowd that can't really understand him. The ordeal he went through has changed him forever while everyone else remained the same. The hollow feeling coming with that realisation couldn't have got across in a better manner. The stark contrast of loneliness amidst the frivolity of Yule celebrations made for a very poignant piece.

Sam was wonderfully in-character, too. His caring for Frodo and wanting to help him was so touching. Mrs Cotton, she was so very hobbity, with her prattling about recipes and all. :)

And that last line, 'It tastes like the ocean I have yet to see.' was full of hope and peace for the future. It reminded me of the lines from Bilbo's Last Song: 'Lands there are to west of West, where night is quiet and sleep is rest.' So very fitting for both Bilbo and Frodo.

EC
Galad Estel chapter 1 . 12/11/2013
Frodo's thoughts here where beautifully expressed. What he says and what he is actually feeling. How he has lost touch with Shire. His sadness amid the frivolity of Yuletide.
asphodelmoonlight chapter 1 . 12/8/2013
Beautifully written. You have a real talent!:D
Elrond's Scribe chapter 1 . 11/30/2013
Ah, beautifully done, Crackers! Poor Frodo, suffering from the torment of the Ring and from the Sea-longing - he can only find healing in Aman. *sigh*

Good job writing this in time for the Autumn Intervention! I oughta be good like that.
Alanna The Half-blood Witch chapter 1 . 11/30/2013
Poor Frodo. He saved the Shire but can't live in peace.
Anyways, nice fic Crackers (I can call you that right?).
You done a good job writing about Frodo. :)
Mornen chapter 1 . 11/29/2013
Sam was so wonderfully in character! Really, I was so very, very thrilled when I started reading this and Sam was acting like Sam for always and always.

The rest of the characters were believably written as well. I liked their interactions and how Frodo felt so disconnected from everyone else.

The talk about food perfectly fit with Thanksgiving, I must say. :)

I liked how Frodo was thinking about himself as having to have his brittle smile hold out and also how he thought of himself as a half with a half a laugh and all the others.

Sam's concern for Frodo was touching. I thought it was sad how he kept trying to pull Frodo out of his despair, and how he was finding out that he couldn't.

All in all this was a beautiful piece of writing about a time that isn't often elaborated on but really should be. Great work and I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 11/29/2013
Well done. You did wonderful keeping Frodo and the others in-character. This story helped me, like other stories, helped me relate to Frodo and his thoughts. Like Bilbo, Frodo has that longing to have adventures and travel to places outside the Shire. The Shire, in a way, reminds me of here and how everyone acts. It seems there will always be adventurers within the average crowds.

I did catch two missing periods towards the end of the story: Here "The door opens, icy air surging into the hall, and we step out" and here "A puff of vapor follows the question out of Sam's lips". Otherwise, I didn't catch any other grammatical errors.

Good work. I'm going to post this story in my community, 'A Hobbit's Comeback', here on this site, if that's all right with you?

Aria Breuer