Reviews for We Are the People
Songs to Aging Children chapter 1 . 1/8/2014
This is stunningly beautiful writing. The real point of The Hunger Games, which I think so many people miss because they focus on the love story, is the dehumanization and desolation of war. You captured that essence with an uncharacteristic elegance. Absolutely wonderful.
psychic imprint chapter 1 . 1/2/2014
this is absolutely lovely! it's a very personal piece, sort of told from the perspective of the oppressed districts, and it's done in a very poetic, gripping way. your descriptions were wonderful, like these:
[like a silhouette, we are ebony]
[we have lackluster fantasies about defrosting our hearts that have for too long been encased in ice]
it's all really powerful, encompassing almost every broken victor's viewpoint, and that ending:
[we disappear]
is such a strong way to end this fic. brilliant job!
harper price chapter 1 . 12/25/2013
well. i don't even know what to say.

julie, this is so dark and heartbreaking. your metaphors and all your word choices are amazing and this just blew me away. i like how there's no main character or a point of view. usually those stories are weird, but you made it work.

this is all really true about the hunger games and perfect for the victors. it's beautiful and tragic and argh i'm so incoherent right now . . .

the beginning and ending lines i am so done i really am. i'm not even going to try to write a quality review. i am 500% done creys

so um if you haven't figure it out already, i loved this; thanks for entering! (:

rachel x
Bloodredfirefly chapter 1 . 12/23/2013
This is so beautiful. I mean really - your imagery just blows me away. I loved the slightly different, 'we' approach, it sort of held it together and made it really distinctive. But it's the line after line of really poetic language and metaphors that make it work... it's, it's just really good.
M. Cooper Jinks chapter 1 . 12/21/2013
Into the darkness of your writing is something incredibly profound. It makes you realize how fragile humans are.

The part about sitting out in the cold just to feel again depicts their numbness to the rest of the world perfectly.
Heart of Sunshine chapter 1 . 12/8/2013
Oh god...I'm gonna cry now. Seriously, are you a kindred spirit? This is the kind of thing I try to write, this level of dark and depressing and tragic, but mine are never as good as this. Victors...wouldn't they be more victorious if they'd died in the Games? Instead of being left to disappear. You are a really great writer. I've just been inspired by you.
Lyra Belacqua the Silvertongue chapter 1 . 12/6/2013
An elegant work
(It's all true, we disappear)
You portrayed the demons who lurk
(within us, always within us, tearing us from the inside out)
I wish I could write like this, but I shirk
(Pigtails and Pink Ribbon, gone, never would have thought of that)
Not a single mistake
(you're a glorious writer, please continue)
Dark ideas awake
(death and scars, only things left besides the nightmares)
And nothing left to take
(a Victor has nothing, they're damaged and beaten and broken and cold)
It puts everything we do and have into perspective, doesn't it?
No matter what you lose (and what do people today really lose?)
You could lose more.
Hollow, hollow, hollow.
a walking travesty chapter 1 . 12/6/2013
...this was perfect. It flowed pretty well, I didn't see any mistakes or typos, so that's really good! And your sentences were perfect, "We have lacklusted fantasies about defrosting our hearts that for too long have been encased in ice." Is an awesome sentece and I really liked it. In all honesty, the story was really good and creative and amazing and I really liked it! :D Adding on my list...
HybridsRose chapter 1 . 12/6/2013
Wow this is really good. It's almost like, it is focusing on humanity as a whole instead of just one character. Something which I find very fitting to the Hunger Games trilogy, so congratz on that.

'Helplessness consumes us. We consume us.' - A powerful line that is. It's got short sentence structure, which provides emphasis and effect, but what's perhaps more powerful is the meaning behind that. The use of the sentence 'we consume us' directly after 'helplessness consumes us' implies that 'helplessness' and 'we' are linked or interchangeable with each other, meaning that humans are helplessness, and their helplessness kills them. A statement which I find true to the series.

Overall, this is a really good fanfiction. :)
Loverofallthingsmusic chapter 1 . 12/4/2013
Wow! This is...profound. Extremely well-written. Nice job :)
Estoma chapter 1 . 12/4/2013
Just a quick note before I start, for your summary: 'torn', not 'tore'.

Well now, this was stark and bleak and quiet beauitful in its own way, through the use of fantastic images and details. I must admit though, I feel the need to go and read some fluff, now. I think this shows victors like the morphlings and Johanna and Haymitch excellently. You've given us a lovely debate on the psychological effects of being a victor.

[People disappear.] Great beginning. I am hooked immediately.

[the sparrows are quiet because their companion has stopped in the middle of a song] Wow. That is just lovely images! However, I wasn't aware that sparrows sung; I thought they just made an annoying racket outside my kitchen window each morning ;)

So many beautiful little details. [Ticks of a facial muscle, a hand...human vocabulary that is physical actions.] Love it!

Cheers.
slopes are a girl's friend chapter 1 . 12/4/2013
omfg. I can't believe you found C/P! *high-fives* I used to go there, but not much anymore :/ But that's because I was...never mind. Anyways, I love the descriptive detailing in this story, it almost sounded like a poem to me! Nice job and I hope you win this month's challenge!

-Kay
Kate chapter 1 . 12/4/2013
For a lack of better words that was beautiful. People may think I'm crazy for believing so but its beauty was and will remain in its tragic honesty. You may not need to go through the Games to feel like that...but you captured the feelings that any victor must have afterwards. Well done.