Reviews for What Family Is For
kylermalloy chapter 245 . 2/13
Omg I can’t believe this is the last one! I completely understand why you’re ending the series, but I won’t deny that I’ll miss it dearly. I can’t tell you how many times a crappy Monday has become brighter just because I get a notification from FF and I get to read another chapter of WFIF. So...thank you so much for this series LB!

PS this last chapter was a perfect ending—the series comes full circle and so do Sam and Dean’s perfectly symmetrical entanglement. Love it!
NerdAngel chapter 245 . 2/13
It's a bittersweet moment here. I remember reading the hospital bed chapter and little did I know just what an amazing grouping of stories WFIF truly is. You handled the requests given to you like a pro! This story, though not a request, is no different. This was a beautiful ending to a beautiful series, though I know you are leaving it open to possibly come back to. I love that you decided to do a recall to the beginning here, but of course it was still its own thing. I've got quite a bit I'm hoping to cover without breaking Fan fiction, so I'm going to just go on and get on with it if that's alright with you? On we go.

First off, I love the title. Then And Now works wonderfully for not exactly what the story is about per say, but definitely works as a whole for this and I completely applaud what you did here. Brilliant!

I love the way you describe the air in the hospital. If there was a way to properly describe the air in the hospital, that would be it. Cleaning chemicals seems to be a really strong smell when you're in a hospital.

I love this:

"The name is the first concrete thought Sam's managed since coming awake, and almost like it holds some magical power over him, the wobbly edges of his vision begin to solidify, too."

I love the strength behind this. It makes sense that Dean's name would be the first solid thing Sam thinks of as he comes too. I'm pretty certain that's often the case whenever something happens. That's another thing I enjoyed. You don't outright say what happened, it's not even the first thing he thinks about. I also like that you said "almost like it holds some magical power over him" because even though there isn't any magic, there is that drive and determination that would make him push through to get to his brother. Oh and I also love how you wrote his coming to and recognizing shapes the more he's determined to find his brother. It reminds me of when you first wake up but you up on alert and try to instantly get up and move. Do you know what I mean? Either way it was realistic and I love that.

I'm not going to lie, I laughed at this:

"Where is Dean?"

I have a feeling you may have idea as to why that line kinda made me laugh. Although it actually reminded me of two different episodes, but the same abridged. Oh no wait! Three and this one isn't the same show. It also reminds me of "where's Stephen?" ROFL.

This whole part was a fantastic look into Sam's head:

"There was a time Sam might've thought nothing could keep Dean from parking himself beside if Sam were hospitalized but enough years and traumas have transpired for the younger Winchester to know better; Dean would be there if he could, and if he couldn't then it only meant Sam needed to get out of this place quickly and go find him. If he wasn't here then he was hurt or...No, hurt was the worse Sam would allow himself believe."

He isn't wrong. Dean is never not by Sam's bedside whenever he's in the hospital. That's just un-Deanly. But I love that it's more or less his thoughts we are hearing, which shows that you know the character very well. Sam would worry if Dean wasn't there and I really like that you have him not allow himself to think any worse than he's hurt. Even though it's obvious he's worried it could be worse, he won't allow that to be the case.

I'm going to kind of cheat here and do a compare and contrast with the brothers and their attempts of getting free from their beds.
I love that Sam tries to bring the railing down and because he's still drugged up, he struggles but doesn't want to break it or cause any commotion and basically tries to slip between the gap to get out. Also it's funny he doesn't remember the IV until he goes to leave and gets a painful reminder.

Dean on the other hand does it a bit differently but it totally makes sense to their character. After also realizing his brother wasn't at his bed which made him worried, the first thing he did was rip the IV out with "practiced resentment." Most of the time the first thing he does is rip out the IV when he's in the hospital so it makes sense he would go for that first. The barrier was also a similar (or really same) obstacle, but handled differently and in a Dean manner. Whereas Sam didn't want to break it, Dean was ready to break it if he had to, which I feel is very telling of who the brothers are. I loved the comparision because within it you were able to describe both Winchesters brilliantly.

Oh and I just want to mention real quick the side characters here and how much I got a kick out of them and how much they breathed life into this story. Sam's neighbor giving him an irritated look when he caused all the commotion he had been hoping to avoid was a nice realistic touch and I can just picture him as clearly as I can a struggling Sam. Honestly I kind of picture the old man as one of the men that were all mad in Sherlock when John walks into Mycroft's club talking loudly.
The family that notices a gimp Dean trying to act normal as he tries to find his brother made me laugh. I love this:
"The family he'd headed towards gives him suspicious looks as meanders by them, like they're considering telling someone about the strange, limping guy who won't make eye contact for fear they'll see how much morphine is still there."
Fantastic! Seeing a guy limping in a hospital isn't exactly strange, but a guy who's limping while looking suspicious and refuses to look at you because he's afraid that you'll notice he's a bit vacant and foggy in the eyes, yeah, that's worth calling someone about. I love it for how realistic it is, and also because when I read this I couldn't help but think of Markiplier in Octodad when he would be moving around and yelling "I'm normal. I'm normal. Sorry I'm normal." I could just picture that as Dean limps by avoiding eye contact, lol.

I also really appreciate that the reason they're in the hospital is never fully explained. Some shit went down that didn't land either brother in a good state, but that's really all we need to know. This story doesn't take place in any certain season and this could be any accident or scenario. How they ended up in the hospital doesn't matter, all that matters is that both brothers know the other is ok. It's simple, but that's the Winchesters in a nutshell. Which is shown in the end when Sam finally stops struggling when he sees Dean and Dean allows himself to be returned to his room when he sees Sam.
Oh one last thing, I love that Sam's in for a head injury and Dean a leg. We've seen Dean was a leg injury before and I'm starting to lose track of how many times Sam's head takes a beating.

This was a fantastic end to an ongoing weekly to biweekly series. I'm sad to see it stop, but I'm glad I got to be apart of this magnificent ride and I look forward to whatever it is that you write next. Because whatever it is I already know it's going to be *whispers* awesome.
mb64 chapter 245 . 2/13
This has been a fantastic series and I have enjoyed each and every one of the chapters you've shared with us!

I am so happy that you will be doing some original writing- you have so much talent that I know you will go far. When you have something published in print or online, please let me know as I would truly love to read it.

Best wishes, good luck and hugs to you!

zz5 chapter 245 . 2/13
A nice "last" chapter, corresponding to the first~ Thanks a million~~ :)
reannablue chapter 245 . 2/13
Perfect story to end on. The show starts and ends with the brothers love for each other. Fantastic series of stories. Thankyou for sharing your stories with us!
SuperVikinggirl chapter 245 . 2/12
Wow, it's like the end of an era with no more new "What Family is For" fics popping up in my feed! I probably haven't read each and everyone one, and I am sure I will go back and read them all again and again...but for right now I just want to say "Thank you so very much" with all my heart for each and every fanfic you have written and shared with us. You are a wonderful writer, you make me live in Sam and Dean's skin for just a little while, and that is a wonderful talent to have! Thanks!
rmurphy157 chapter 245 . 2/12
Thank you for a fitting end to this epic sstory. It was a pleasure to read and I know we will here more from you in the future. You are a very talented writer and I wish you the best of luck in all your endevours. Thank you for the creativity and heart that your brought to the chapters whiich were written from my suggestions. I LOVED each of them! Thamks for the smiles and the tears too. Looking forward to reading more of your fanfic and published works. Xo Regina
Trucklady53 chapter 245 . 2/12
Thanks for all your stories. I look forward to reading more of your writing. I may not have comment near as much as I should but sometimes by the time I am able to read some it is late at night and trying to put some worthwhile compliments down before shutting down would not come out right at all.
GuestJ chapter 245 . 2/12
Loved how you connected the first chapter in this series to the last (sob) one, LB. You captured Sam and Dean’s brotherly concern/love perfectly. This was a great way to complete this series.

Aside: I have truly enjoyed every chapter you’ve written, LB. And, you have already done an amazing thing for me. You have given me four years of outstanding chapters to read. I choked up reading your dedication to TG and me. I am honored. I’ll be on the lookout for future works from you, my friend. You have a wonderful gift to share and the universe will not let you stop now. :) I just might open an account in the future to see how things are going with you. Wishing you all the best as you move forward.
*hugs you back Winchester style. Then wipes tears, stands, and applauds.*
Jenjoremy chapter 245 . 2/12
Oh this was perfect! The boys need first and foremost to know the other is okay. I am absolutely heartbroken that this series is coming to an end. It has been such a bright spot for me since I discovered it. I look forward to any writing you may choose to share with us in the future. And best wishes for your original writing.
Colby's girl chapter 245 . 2/12
An ending fit for a wonderful series. Thanks again for all the great stories and best of luck.
Thanks you for sharing your wonderful talent of writing with everyone. You’re truly amazing at it, and I hope to see more of your work in the future!
shadowhuntingdauntlessdemigod chapter 245 . 2/12
Well, if this isn't the perfect way to end a series of this magnitude, I don't know what else is :) it all comes full circle in a way and they'll be alright because they found each other again. Thank you so, so, so much for everything that you have created. It has always been a joy (and sometimes a pain but a good pain that lets you know that you wrote it well) to read your latest chapters and know that pretty much no matter what, I would enjoy it :)
Dear LilyBolt,

Thank you so very much for all the time and talent you have devoted to this series.
I've told you many times (though not nearly enough) how much joy and inspiration and comfort your words (in stories and especially in the Special Notes) have given me. (And I really hope the tissue company made good on that check they owe you. You really gave them a lot of business.)

I wish you much joy and wonder in your future, and many blessings. Even if you no longer continue to write here, I hope you will continue to write. It would be a great loss if you didn't.

Thank you again for EVERYTHING.

TG
mb64 chapter 244 . 2/2
I have really enjoyed reading your work over the past few years! You are an absolutely amazing writer and you should be tremendously proud of everything you've posted here. Many, many thanks for sharing your talent with us.

I wish you the very best in life!

3,551 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »