Reviews for Naruto: The Darkest of Heroes
then it is simple use a different route. Hard? Yes. Reward? Great.
Azrael Akuma chapter 5 . 4/22
What the hell man. Stop with the half assed cliffhangers.
Cerulean Knight chapter 5 . 4/16
So was this chapter just about how unhinged Sasuke is, Naruto's darker views, two sets of old guys talking and Kakashi going to town on his team and wasting both Sasuke and Naruto?
Mhyrloc chapter 5 . 4/15
I didn't read (Or even know about) This story's prior incarnation, but thus far it seems rather well done to me. Transposing Kakashi's bell test with this monster of a scarecrow is rather clever as well, and makes me wish I'd thought of similar.
Not sure how they'll manage to convey the proper teamly mindset (assuming that remains the target), but the shift in team dynamic has potential.

-Mhyrloc
SapphireFox9 chapter 5 . 4/13
Awesome chapter! I thought it was fine! Please continue to update!
CrypticSilhouette chapter 5 . 4/13
I liked the chapter, had to go back and reread the story though.

I don't know if this was on purpose or not, but you said Kakashi made jonin at 16, but I am fairly certain he made jonin when he was 10 years old(?).

Just had to point that out
KokuenDG chapter 5 . 4/12
I think...this shows the main difference that this Naruto has with canon Naruto.

Naruto is an extremely important part of Team 7's stability in the early chapters because he was able to keep them from imploding on themselves by being the heart of the team.

But now team 7 is largely anti-social, and at least two of the members will be out for each other's throats eventually.

So yeah, it's up to Sakura to become the person that can keep the team stable. And the way you set her up works since she is much more diligent and reasonable, even if she still has the crush on Sasuke.

And on the topic of Sasuke, you've made him even more emotionally disturbed than canon could probably ever have been this early in the game. The fact that he treated the potential danger Naruto was by his own technique and his aggressive attempts at interrogation shows that Sasuke is in a very bad place and even worse flight risk than after he was after the Chunin Exams. Is this supposed to show how a boisterous Naruto actually affected his general demeanor to the point where he was more emotionally distant, but somewhat receptive to outside influences?

As for the chapter as a whole, I can see why you dislike it. It's a very depressing outlook on the whole situation Naruto finds himself in and there's not much to take the fic away from that since the team isn't cohesive enough for any of them to act as proper comedic foils to everything that's happening right now.

Maybe if Naruto was a bit more snarky and still showed some signs of his desire for recognition, despite his attempts to quash those feelings? It would make him come off as more of an ass, but having him with a fairly sarcastic wit that borders on being sardonic at times could help with that.

Like, he's had to learn how to talk himself out of situations and his cynical outlook gave him a sarcastic sense of humor or something.

That, and making him a bit more receptive to his teammates. It doesn't have to be immediate, of course, but I do believe that it would be a good idea for him to at least consider extending the olive branch to Sakura since he doesn't have any enmity for her, and then reluctantly doing so for Sasuke too.

It probably won't work out too well for Sasuke, but unless Sakura's paranoid of being around Naruto I don't see why she wouldn't accept the chance to at least be cordial to him.

All in all, I guess my point is that being an anti-hero doesn't mean Naruto has to be 'edgy.' If that's what you were talking about when you said you hated the previous version, then I agree completely. He can be aloof and cynical all he wants, but make sure you still show that never give up attitude that he's always going to have. Have him a bit more receptive to others, even if it's only Sakura at this point. And personally, it would be better if Naruto was more humorous.

This story is in need of more lighthearted scenes.
shinigami69 chapter 5 . 4/12
Keep it up! Any thought of pairings?
Will Naruto get a pairing in this story!? If yes, then I hope that it is with Hinata!
Moonpuzzle chapter 5 . 4/12
Yes! And the hitai-ate escapes again! It would be funny if that thing has a mind of its own and either assists or disrupts Naruto when it escapes him. It's like Tora, but without the scratching.

Thanks for the update. This creepy scarecrow is awesome. How is it made and maybe it's a genjutsu is my thought. And man does Sasuke need a boot to the head. Issues man. Issues.
dispair17 chapter 5 . 4/12
This story is, in a word, exceptional. While I can only speak for myself, I think find this story to be tremendously well written, and I look forward to further updates. My only question is whether or not I can look forward to NaruHina in the future. OTP and all that.
SyQadelic chapter 5 . 4/12
"She shakes her head over how careless it was of the redhead to lose it so easily."

You're kidding, right?
Shinigami Merchant chapter 5 . 4/12
I thought it was good, so far as Naruto fanfiction goes the genin test has to be one of the most used plot points in the entire franchise and I'm glad to say that yours was interesting to read, for once we were given something that doesn't rely on the bell test, the fight scene was imaginative and well planned. So yes I liked it and I'm really glad you updated, I look forward to the next chapter
Decius23 chapter 5 . 4/12
Yay, update! The only criticisms i have are the time it took you to update (three months or so) and that cliffhanger. I'm positively surprised with your decision to make Sakura more focused on beeing a kunoichi than pursuing the Uchiha...

*sniff* i hope the next update won't take as long as this one.
Shigure.Toshiro chapter 5 . 4/12
It's a good chapter, I like the original test.
Looking forward to the next chapter.