Reviews for The Last Christmas
Teal Thanatos chapter 5 . 7/7/2014
That's incredibly awesome.
LLCJ chapter 1 . 6/20/2014
In the last chapter, there is text which is not in English. I'm not going to pretend I can understand it, which is why I rely on Google Translate. Unfortunately, this website does not allow me to copy/paste text.

I'm fairly certain the text is something innocuous like "Santa Claus" or "What's going on," but there is a part of me that is required to think it might be the one phrase or word that explains the entire ending. And so, because copy/paste restrictions are only clever enough to stop the very elderly - I'm off to go find out.

I'm just annoyed at FF for making it such an effort.

(Interesting story btw!)
sakura candy chapter 5 . 4/1/2014
I'm getting very hopeful that this isn't marked complete. This just screams for an epilogue!

This will either destroy the world or the elves have evolved enough to know common sense and actually get it right.
DHouck chapter 5 . 3/30/2014
This was an interesting story. I'd love to see a sequel or an epilogue.

There was one thing that bugged me about this last chapter, though. The name of the old Santa is a name that several people have had throughout history, and it took me a while to realize that you didn't mean any of them. In particular, the guy who has that page name on Wikipedia was born at a time where you plausibly could have meant him.
rationalteen chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
Also, I was reading through the past reviews, and I would like to point out that he isn't forcing change the elves. They decided themselves to stop having children in order to keep the population steady. They are so powerful, in fact, that he couldn't control them if they didn't wish to be controlled, and when they didn't they left. He did make them immortal, but all that did was keep their consciences, their selves, from being obliterated, and left them the power to change that. Isn't that the most ethical thing you can do? Someone said he couldn't have thought of everything. Why not? He could have spent billions of years separated from time- including the elves time- figuring out every loophole to keep everyone safe.
rationalteen chapter 5 . 3/24/2014
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant and an actually clever response to the loopholes. Thanks.
EagleJarl chapter 4 . 3/1/2014
Well, nothing in this chapter was remotely disturbing, nope, nope, nope. The part where the elf took the thing back and twiddled it...yeah, that was just a bit bone chilling. And the fact that murder-rapist-gladiator-guy Santa is still around and still has an unknown degree of influence over the elves is really disturbing.
EagleJarl chapter 3 . 3/1/2014
When the scary amoral reality warping brain-rewriting monster things tell you that something is in the Christmas Spirit and that their health and happiness depend on the CS, it behooves you to figure out what the CS is. And given that they can't define it, I find that truly scary.

On the other hand, talk about easily weaponized. Matilda *says* that the elves would kill themselves if you told them to, but that could be a lie. On the other hand, you have experimental proof (*) that you can cause them physical harm just by talking about the CS. So if you want them to stop mucking with you, there's your stick.

(*) Technically its not proof. Matilda could have done that herself to get him to stop pushing on the subject. That would show an understanding of human character at odds with what they've shown, but that could be an act.
Bushwah chapter 5 . 2/20/2014
Complete agreement with Less Wrong. I could do fine with never hearing a word about Christmas again.
Bushwah chapter 4 . 2/20/2014
...as long as I don't care too much about sleeping, that is.
Bushwah chapter 3 . 2/20/2014
The Christmas spirit is just a creepy mass placebo. Okay. I can live with that.
Bushwah chapter 2 . 2/20/2014
I feel sick.
Bushwah chapter 1 . 2/20/2014
So far, it's just strange and beautiful and fascinating, but if this goes on...
gagiman chapter 5 . 2/13/2014
The premise is nice, but opens a whole new can of worms, 1.5 billion people who are effectively 20 forever, thus creating a new elite that perhaps aren't going to be as "nice" as Charles
Xiaou Nem chapter 5 . 2/10/2014
A great and horrifying christmas tale!
And of course, a cautionary tale about humans who gain too much power. Look what he used the power for: hunting down ONE mass murderer and distributing an untested substance...
I liked the portrayal of the elves. It was harrowing and felt very real. The relationship illustrated how hard it is to "give" someone free will. They had chosen a human master. Every day when we wake up, we choose to take part in the world as it is and accept the authorities and reality, unless we challenge it. Forcing a change, like immortality on the elves, is introducing a foreign concept. Even though it suits the protagonist's morality, what right does he have to change them this way.
Thank you for writing this!
47 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »