Reviews for The Last Christmas
DonLyn chapter 5 . 2/8/2014
Just... Yes.
mutecebu chapter 5 . 2/5/2014
I keep wondering what the last christmas gift was.

Thanks for the story!
Guest chapter 5 . 2/3/2014
Wow. This was horrifying. And I mean that both in a good way and a bad way.

As a story written to make one think, it excels in this aim. As a story, it invokes great passion. As a philosophy, it is so counter to my very understanding of good it is incomprehensible.

But to remove reproduction, to instill immortality, to not give the effected individuals a choice and ability to freely live completely outside of its effects, and most importantly of all to completely severe humanity from the process of natural selection? That is utterly evil. I can not think of a single more immoral thing, whether it be a possible action or not, this is nadir of all ethical eldrich horrors.
UNSecur chapter 5 . 2/4/2014
A typical "rationalist"/singularitarian/transhumanist short story.
Yxoque chapter 5 . 1/25/2014
Nice exploration of the Christmas mythos. The characterization of the elves is uncanny, in a good way. They have their own intrinsic goals and that's what makes them interesting. The elves really are the main strength of this story.

The open-endedness of the story is intriguing and definitely leaves me wanting more. I kinda want to see the consequences. That was my favorite part of Friendship is Optimal, the horrifying consequences.
Guest chapter 5 . 1/20/2014
Wow, that was a scary deconstruction of Christmas. I am glad I waited to January to read it. I still enjoyed it though, as I enjoy dark reconstructions.
hirvinen chapter 5 . 1/17/2014
Awesome. Please do continue.
gwern chapter 5 . 1/4/2014
Elves as a metaphor for AI. I like it.
skycomv2 chapter 5 . 1/4/2014
That was pretty badass, a pity charles didn't think through the implications of immortality and speeding up time. I do wonder what exactly happened with the girl and the pebble, I hope you explain it in a future chapter.

As a side note I was sent here by less wrong/Eliezer Yudkowsky.
OmgImPwned chapter 5 . 1/3/2014
Kudos for this. I was instantly interested in the premise, and you carried through very well, illustrating the problems and implications of non-human moral systems in a way that a person not introduced to them before would understand. I think. I also didn't see the last plot-twist coming, though it makes sense for it to happen when the elves are allowed to grow older.

There's still the question, though, of what they did before the santas. Weren't they immortal yet there? Or was their history/cultural memory from before that simply fabricated by the hypothetical super-intelligence which created them?

I find it scary, what he might have done with that pill in the end. The odds that he would've thought everything through are tiny. There's really a bad potential for that to go wrong. I'm not sure it's a happy ending. Then again, I'm not sure it's supposed to be.

I can see why you might not be happy with the ending, though. The problems are only illustrated, an answer is never given. (Not that there's an easy one anyway.) I think the ending serves well, in any case.

In any case, I've favorited this, and you, because if you wrote this, other stuff you write is bound to be interesting as well. Good work!
MondSemmel chapter 5 . 1/3/2014
An impressive short story, though the pacing was a bit uneven. Well done.

FYI, you might enjoy reading the Less Wrong sequences - they deal with rationality, creating superintelligences, the difficulty of making safe wishes from AI, etc.
Mavarax chapter 5 . 1/3/2014
This is an intriguing story beginning. I hope it'll be continued now Christmas is over
Less Wrong chapter 5 . 1/3/2014
This is the last, perfect Christmas story beyond which no other Christmas story can exist.
Less Wrong chapter 2 . 12/29/2013
Well this is pretty darned interesting (and well-written) so far.
RK chapter 4 . 12/24/2013
Love the fic so far. How long will it be? How long do you expect writing to take?
47 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »