Reviews for Valley of the Shadow (gen)
Ebony Starstorm chapter 65 . 3/2
Interesting nursery..
duj chapter 65 . 3/2
They think they're the good guys. Life will try to slap some sense into them. We know from canon it didn't succeed.
Ebony Starstorm chapter 64 . 3/2
... yes, there should have been such a thing as a good parent, my gods though, an unbreakable contract?
LittleBabyDamien chapter 64 . 2/16
Oooohh! A new chapter! And she's given us homework!
*starts googling movie titles*
I love the interactions between Evan and Severus, and how carefully Evan looks after him. And I really respect you for not rushing the sisters' explanations, and keeping the conversation true to the characters.
Did I mention I like your characters? And the way Julilla manages to look like a cozy version of Severus, without really looking like him.
duj chapter 64 . 2/16
Have you ever noticed in Cheaper by the Dozen that one of the kids disappears quite early on (before their tonsillectomies, IIRC)? Until I read the sequel, I wondered if she'd been put in an asylum and forgotten about. They used to do that then. (And still did when my kids were being born. I said no.)
Ebony Starstorm chapter 63 . 2/4
Mmm... interesting, so Sev's grandmother might be better than she seems?
duj chapter 63 . 2/3
I'm assuming that "made incapable of obedience" is a typo?

(Every so often I remember that canon-Evvie dies young, and then I get really sad for Spike.)
Ebony Starstorm chapter 62 . 1/21
Ah. Oh DEAR, Sev won't be very happy, will he?

His grandmother, by chance?
hwyla chapter 62 . 1/21
I hate to put such a question in a review, but my mind is playing keep-away with my memory. At first I couldn't figure out why Julie's eyes were so like Sev's if she married into the Prince family, but now I'm vaguely remembering the name (associated with Caesar's wife in a note you had I think?) is Eileen's mother's? So this is Sev's grandmother? Right?
duj chapter 62 . 1/20
And what a barb in that last line. Will she stab back?
hwyla chapter 61 . 12/30/2014
Had you previously mentioned that Lily's family was in Cokeworth for 'assizes' instead of holiday? I don't recall any mention that her father was in law - but I suppose this means he is/was a judge? Or somehow connected to the court? I wonder whether this might be part of Lily's upbringing that loudly insisted Sev refuse friendship with his housemates and quit the politics?

I'm not sure that I think that a judge's kid would automatically be so judgmental, however, I can see where some judges would raise a child like that - all black and white with little grey - especially once it was emphasized by her house.

Nice touch to have Lily 'correct' Ming on 'ladies' - fits that 'I'm always right mode of hers'. Really NOT done to correct someone who you barely know - at least not without prefacing it a bit to discover if they would actually want correcting. Ming has been in England for 10 years at the minimum (1st year Hogwarts), surely she has heard the saying before. My expectation would be that she truly meant 'women' - possibly in an empowering way considering the time period. She is after all a working woman.

Love the idea of ogham as sign language. I do somewhat wonder whether 'perfectly nice' was meant to be a response to a question from Ming about Lily - considering the reply about Kind or Wise. Ming sounds a bit like Sev there.

By the way love the Jade Rabbit bit - ties very nicely with Luna's association with hares AND the moon. Also loved Ming's half-moon eyes (of the 'dark side' variety)

I don't think I recall Mnemosyne Cuffe...should we recognize the name? and the offer? or is that still to come?
Ebony Starstorm chapter 61 . 12/30/2014
Why am I not suprised Sev has his own alterations to magical sign-language?
duj chapter 61 . 12/30/2014
I think steaming entrails is probably closest. Does she really believe Sev-with-codicils could have been fake? (At age nine?!)

(Ming doesn't seem at all like Luna to me. When is Luna ever angry?)
duj chapter 60 . 12/11/2014
Sounds like Evan has a lot of drawing to do. (Not that he ever doesn't, but he has seen some one-of-kind sights recently.)
Ebony Starstorm chapter 60 . 12/8/2014
He sounds like he's having fun, occlumency-wise, doesn't he?