Reviews for Valley of the Shadow (gen)
LittleBabyDamien chapter 15 . 4/20
Does growing mustaches together count as style matching? If so, you can watch that on Potter Puppet Pals, Mustache Buddies. It certainly counts as parody! I am, once again, re-reading Valley, but this time I downloaded it as a PDF version to have available when I can't get online. Gotta say, it is certainly a lot harder to navigate without the chapter numbers. I am grateful that you title your chapters, so I at least have that to help me find my place!
Clove1113 chapter 82 . 1/26
I'm sorry you're stopping this version. I just finished all of it, and it was great. I hope eventually you'll be able to come back to it. I particularly enjoyed how you write the dark lord.
duj chapter 81 . 12/14/2015
Only one bout of Crucio. How magnanimous of you know who.
duj chapter 80 . 11/21/2015
I find Dumbledore unbearable at the best of times. This wasn't the best of times.
duj chapter 79 . 10/29/2015
Aaargh. I feel Snape's pain. Who died and made Bird-brain king, and why hasn't someone deposed him yet?

My favourite line was the one suggesting the relationship between a certain family's "madness" and their "disinclination to train..."
duj chapter 78 . 10/6/2015
"I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick" comes to mind. And the bullying of Luna, which was surely a case of the victim not the bullies being socially inept.
duj chapter 77 . 9/16/2015
I found the reference to "boy in Peter's form" confusing. I thought you meant a boy of Peter's shape, not a boy in Peter's class.
duj chapter 76 . 8/31/2015
A warning understood. Safety sought. Maybe a trip to the continent would be advisable.

(Loved every word, especially the description of the Potter-pair and a teacher's recognition of the best, if not only, man in the room.)
duj chapter 75 . 8/18/2015
Sometimes it's the little details that count the most. The secretary's name was Weatherby was a fabulous detail.

(A curtain of bubotuber pus suspended in front of a common room entrance, and they thought it was a prank? Ugh, they really did their best to deserve their fates, didn't they?)
duj chapter 74 . 8/3/2015
I suppose librarians can do a pretty fair imitation of breathing fire...

Good chapter. I thought the most striking line was "It's important to have someone in charge who isn't going to break everything." (But sometimes people elect him twice anyway :(( ) Poor Reg. Most of Evan's comments were way over his head, I thought - and surely he's known Spike long enough to understand that "cover sort of job he could explain to people" is the last thing he's suitable for.
marietta chapter 73 . 7/21/2015
James is dense like a b lack hole! The only reason he's messing about with Severus is because Avery and Mulciber have pureblood estates with eons of warding that would eat the idiot Gryffindor for lunch! I'm surprised that Severus hasn't sent a complaint of stalking to the DMLE.
I also had that thought about Severus' supposed Life Debt to James, in that, wouldn't the life of the person doing the saving have to have been endangered, to make it a real Life Debt? (If not, hell, saving someone from drowning, or pushing someone out of the way of a rampaging beast on CoMC could have them springing up like dandelions!)
And we all know James was never in any danger, as he was an animagus, and could transform and fight off the werewolf with his 'big rack' heh heh!
Speaking of rack, you know, it's funny that no one ever has James in animagus form as a one spike young buck...
duj chapter 73 . 7/20/2015
Rather a mistake not to question the loyalty of James and his friends, really - especially since most of this conversation was a display of James's disloyalty to the Order. He thinks his friends and his own secrets - both the childish and the criminal - take precedence over what the head of the Order needs to know, and that makes him a very unsafe ally or follower.

BTW, James's description of how the Shack incident began is completely antithetical to canon, unless either James is lying here or Lupin lied in the Shack - or Sirius lied to James but not to Lupin, which is, quite frankly, incredible. Something let out unwittingly while drunk can't reasonably be described as "Sirius here played a trick on him ... Sirius thought it would be - er - amusing, to tell..."

TBH, if not for your A/N, I'd have assumed James was mistaken in attributing that momentary flash to pity. Perhaps Dumbledore pitied him for being the sort of naive death-and-glory boy who falls uselessly in the first charge. He really is such a blockhead, so unable to consider evidence with any degree of rationality.

Out of interest, when did your Dumbledore realise that Snape had been telling the exact truth - as far as he knew it - of what the Marauders did to him? After the Shack? After appointing James Head Boy? After their seventh year? After visiting Snape's brain?
tsiddiqaamin chapter 2 . 7/10/2015
What a beautiful introduction! It's so clever. Really going to aspire for this kind of detail in mine when I do a re-edit.
totalreadr chapter 72 . 7/6/2015
Re the "timing notes":

Yep and I'm now married. :)

We're one of those annoying straight couples ;) who were waiting for same-sex marriage to be legal. In our case it was due to our old-fashioned feminism - we thought if same-sex marriage were legal it would mean most people now accepted that marriage didn't require gender roles.

Hope it really does. All I can say is...US society sure has changed since we made that decision in 1999.

BTW - actually they met at "nine or ten" (direct quote from "The Prince's Tale") and the Westermarck Effect is over by age six - I mean just saying. ;)
duj chapter 72 . 7/6/2015
James is really really thickheaded. (Duh. Gryffindor.)

I suppose the Polyjuice was Essence of Mum, LOL?