Reviews for Valley of the Shadow
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 8/19
Yes, Evan and Narcissa understand each other in ways that only the twee-est of the pureblood set ever could; so much said in just a tilt of the chin. It never hurts to gently cultivate the next set of Ministers for Magic, after all, without ever really saying it.

Although there's one way that Evan is the same as Spike-if someone had interrupted him painting, I suspect those brushes would *hurt*; this is why they get on together as well as they do, because Evan will not let himself do less than his best at anything, either.
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 8/19
Yes, Evan was totally correct in having Hufflepuffs for neighbors-for one thing, Hufflepuffs have long memories and if they associate Slytherin with 'a bit noisy, but scones to die for and quite generous...' once they're in the Ministry, then won't that be a feather in someone's cap later on?

Plus, Snape needs at least one part of his life that isn't overcomplicated. I won't say he deserved the Crucios, but he really did need the critique.
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 8/19
Ewwww...ok, that was overcomplicated, and it certainly did end badly. Ok, Snape got an extra bonus of throwing Peter off his feed-but alas, the problem with associating with Perfect People is when you don't feel perfect any more. And once you start hiding that secret from the Perfect People...well. It's much easier to hide other secrets.

And so Peter starts on his journey of a thousand miles to his silver hand, because he knows he's around Perfect People, and that he's not Perfect any more (if indeed he ever was).

But it was seriously Not Nice to the ducks.

A quick trip to the Forbidden Forest, a drop off in Aragog's territory, and there you go. Or even a trip to anywhere in the Forbidden Forest, a quick, long-distance Reducto, and let the beetles mop up the slime. Or even a quick trip to the Malfoy greenhouse, another long-distance Reducto, and let the roses bloom ever harder than before (let's face it, Malfoy roses are likely to be more carnivorous than most). There are lots of alternatives...

That's Snape's real problem-he doesn't realize that there really are some simple solutions out there.
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 8/18
If I understand this chapter, Rodolphus somehow got careless and killed the poor kid werewolf, and Severus is stuck disposing of the body. He has insufficient social standing and nerve to leave the task to Rodolphus, and is therefore stuck with it.

I am guessing right here that Snape is not *that* good at Transfiguration, or he would simply go, poof, be a pebble! a la Barty Crouch Sr., if I recall. Leave it in Rodolphus' quarters, and if it reverts, have a note pinned on it for Roddy boy to please kindly take care of this.

And I see that Potter really needs something to do with his time-he has way too much of it if he's still stalking Snape (though at some point I might make pointed remarks about how "I am already dated up, and would you stop with the love notes already?" before witnesses).

Still, I suspect Sev is about to commit something so hideously overcomplicated it's bound to end badly.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 8/18
But I *liked* reading 163 pages of kidfic, so there! (uses voice of Emily Ann, the rocking chair kid invented by Lily Tomlin, since LAUGH-IN was my reward for surviving Mondays when I was in junior high).

Sadly, Snape seems to have been correct about the motivations and procedures of both sides. I have read time-travel fic where an elder Snape went back in time and handed a passport and a one-way ticket out of Heathrow (or maybe I just wish someone had written it) to the younger Snape, and if necessary, coshed him over the head and made sure he got on the plane to Elsewhere.

I am not reading the gen version. I carry too many versions of too many universes in my head already...
BlueWater5 chapter 93 . 8/1
Interesting to see Severus' view of his interrogation. Logical development of the DE masks.
BlueWater5 chapter 90 . 8/1
Loved the interrogation!
BlueWater5 chapter 88 . 8/1
I like Sirius' point about Lily abandoning a long time friend and applying it to the Maruaders - I've never seen that point brought up before. Interesting how Sirius was the reasonable one between him and James.
BlueWater5 chapter 85 . 8/1
I kind of like this Toby even though he doesn't understand magic..
BlueWater5 chapter 84 . 8/1
I liked the father-son conversation.
BlueWater5 chapter 81 . 8/1
I love your Voldemort.
Snape may think he has two masters, but the way he plays both of them I don't think that's the right description of the relationships.
BlueWater5 chapter 80 . 8/1
Interesting negotiation with Dumbledore...
BlueWater5 chapter 78 . 8/1
I like getting Filius' view of events.
BlueWater5 chapter 76 . 7/31
Interesting view of Slytherin politics. A convincing reason for Slughorn to resign.
BlueWater5 chapter 73 . 7/31
Great conversation between Dumbledore and James. I hope James really thinks about the headmaster's words.