Reviews for Son of Fire
Laerthel chapter 6 . 1/20/2015
I'm happy but also pretty sad about this one, because I did not want this story to end :( but I liked this chapter a lot, as I have told you before, so that kind of compensates me...
This "inhale-exhale" thing totally captivated me, it gives a rhytm to the text (but it also makes me recall that one time I almost drowned. It wasn't a particularly enjoyable feeling but powerful, that's sure! :D)
A little typo: at about the middle, check the word "judgement"
"Thick-headed spawn of Feanáro" was awesome, I think Maitimo should place that amongst his "Martini" titles :D (Ok from now, I'll try to speak in a way that's socially acceptable on a website...)
Another little thing: "valiant eyes" ... Fingon is Valiant from head to toes, for sure, but possibly, this is not the word I'd have used to describe anyone's eyes, or glance (it may just be me, though...)
But all in all, I really-really liked this story, and this chapter in particular! You did a great job with this:)
Laerthel chapter 4 . 2/22/2014
ABSOLUTELY loved it!
The continuous metaphore of flame and heat, the maddening blur of dreams, memories, reality and Morgoth's spells, the despair, the mourning and the wrath, all were wonderfully written. Can't wait for the next one! :)))
Certh chapter 3 . 1/1/2014
Lovely chapter. I loved Maedhros's memories of Alqualonde, the feelings of shame that overwhelmed him afterwards when he realised what they did was wrong. Not to mention his strong friendship with Fingon showed through wonderfully.

A couple of little slip-ups that caught my eye: 'smell of death' - there's an 'the' missing before 'smell'; 'for awhile' - should be 'for a while' or just 'awhile'.

Also, 'Russandol' actually refers to the colour of Maedhros's hair, not his height (it means 'copper-top').

EC
Certh chapter 2 . 1/1/2014
A resonating chapter. I liked the reference to the smithy and the mental 'forbidden' sign hung on its door. The dream was definitely bewildering and intriguing.

Just one tiny slip-up that caught my attention: 'now, what he was waiting for' (the comma is unnecessary).
Certh chapter 1 . 1/1/2014
Eerie - I think that's the word that sums up this chapter for me. You did a fine job in capturing Melkor's fright-inducing aura, that dreadful power radiating from him. And Maedhros, it was heartening to witness his courage.
Laerthel chapter 3 . 12/27/2013
Absolutely LOVED THIS! My current favorite :)
I love how you use the contradiction of fiery ice and icy fire in all three chapters, and how you go on with this metaphore (for me, it's a metaphore at least). I also loved how the strong bonds between Maed and Fingon were written, it's much how I'd imagined it, without any hint of slash, of course...
The part about Feanor's smile was somehow decisive and really important to me, I don't know why.
And I was fascinated to read about Maedhros singing his first-and-last song, it was all beautiful! Congrats, can't wait for the next chapter :)
Chamelaucium chapter 1 . 12/19/2013
Mmm this was so cleverly written! It's so evocative and you really captured the emotions and the fear and... wow. As usual, your writing is just absolutely beautiful. :D I really look forward to more of this! :)