Reviews for Enemy's Heartstrings
Luvgolds chapter 1 . 6/24
Still no update. Why do you leave us hanging?! This story is wonderful so far!
Obscurebookwyrm chapter 29 . 6/17
AGriffs! Greetings! I was beginning to think that burn you mentioned had permanently TKO’d your typing arm. I’m actually *relieved* to hear it’s merely ongoing writer’s block. Of course, then RL ate up all my time (How *dare* my cousin get married when I’m reading/reviewing one of your updates?), so I guess we’re even. Time to see what kinds of mischief your Heartstrings-verse can visit upon Buffy this week…

Grey and cloudy in SoCal? Yup, this is definitely a city with a Hellmouth. And based on Buffy’s conversation with her mother, it’s influencing the Summers household as well as the weather. Joyce seems almost as insecure as one of Buffy’s peers. Or Buffy herself. (Stray thought: I’m still betting that some of those “late nights at work” are Ted. That would explain a lot.) I liked that it was *Buffy* who took charge of setting the mother/daughter birthday misunderstanding straight. I remember that in “Surprise” she woke up *claiming* to feel more responsible and mature, but here she’s actually *showing* it. Good on her!

Spike? At school? Heaven forefend! This cannot end well. Unless they can get him to eat one of the *unrepentant* jerk-jocks, like maybe some of Larry’s old posse from before he saw the light. Then at least some good would come of it. Although between the crutches and the guyliner, I have a sneaking suspicion that Spike’s more likely to get decked by a jock than to eat one. He’d better draw on some human!William instincts and learn how to hide. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe instead of a bully-magnet, he’ll become a girl-magnet. I mean… cute punk guy with poetry and an accent. That could work for him. Though with the usual SoCal sun, either one is likely to be an infrequent issue for him. Ah well. At least he gets a break from our resident love-struck librarian.

Awww, he whittled her a cross! How masochistically sweet! And… now he’s offering to make out and help her upset her dad by way of petty revenge. So much for my earlier bragging on Buffy’s newfound maturity. “Dating what Daddy hates” is the oldest trick in the book; Buffy’s riff on it is a common one. In this case it massively backfired, because it reminded Buffy and Spike that be they friends or foes they have great chemistry, while it did relatively little (compared to the rest of the exchange) to upset Hank. And I can see it backfiring again if Hank decides to either share that story with Joyce or use it against her as proof of her bad parenting.

While I’m not at all surprised by the idea of Buffy choosing to live in Sunnydale, and didn’t find the “piss off Hank” kiss too surprising, I was *gobsmacked* by the idea of Buffy refusing to see an ice show with Hank. Obviously she *didn’t* in canon!S2 (in hindsight I assumed the Ice Capades must have shown in LA on some night other than the 19th since the cancellation in S3 was such a shocker for her). But the idea of Buffy, who is so *hungry* for the approval and acceptance of her loved ones, outright refusing the chance to spend time with Hank is notably OOC.

The implied wealth of Hank was also an interesting touch. The show never much talked about Buffy’s material wealth pre-Calling, but the canon “Origin” comic made some allusions to it. For instance, Hank’s admonition not to drive the Jag while he and Joyce are away one weekend, followed by Joyce’s request that Buffy please remind Consuela the housekeeper that bras do *not* go in the dishwasher. Hank’s car and trophy girlfriend were nice nods to that.

Oh, Spike… just when you think the universe can’t screw with you any more than it has. I swear, his luck’s as awful as Buffy’s. Of course, what he’s forgetting as he agonizes over the “piss off Hank” kiss is that being in love with one person does not preclude being sexually attracted to others. And given the effect that making out with Buffy just had on him, it seems to me that he ought to be particularly grateful for that fact – at least, once the renewed crippling agony wears off. (Excuse me while I snicker. There’s a “true love’s kiss” joke in here somewhere. Maybe in the vein of “The Little Mermaid”.) A stray thought: for someone so smart, Giles sure can ask stupid questions. “Are you sure?” Pshaw.

On another tangential note, it looks like both Angelus and Spike were 100% wrong in their estimation of Spike’s prognosis. That’s not too surprising; given the easily-hypothesized fate of most badly injured vampires, I suspect Spike’s something of a rare clinical specimen. (Giles must be *thrilled*.) On the one hand, I find that just a smidge disappointing – I really liked my “bookends/mirrors” theory. Y’know, the one I mentioned a few chapters back where I was guessing that Buffy would gradually come to trust Spike and then *choose* to heal him as an indication of that love and trust, much as Spike just did for Dru or canon!Buffy does for Angel in “Graduation”. On the other hand… well, I’m sure Spike’s never in his life been so happy to be wrong. And that means he’s somewhat more inclined to make the people around him happy. Which has the potential to be endlessly fascinating, since I’m not quite sure what a chaotic-neutral vampire would do in that context. Either way, I’m sure that things will *continue* to be ‘very interesting’.

Snyder cameo alert! His attitude was spot-on. Loved the “and serve them right”! Joss Whedon and Arman Shimerman did the perfect job creating a character that everyone loves to hate. (I mean, if a half-starved vamp won’t bite him… Maybe they just have more discerning taste than snake demons?) And he *bought* that excuse for Spike’s presence? How can someone who knows about the Hellmouth live in such denial? No wonder Spike won’t bit him – that level of stupid might be catching. Of course, our resident vamp might change his mind after the swim team debacle. IIRC, that one nearly took out half the Scoobies (and could’ve landed Buffy with a simple battery charge) and Snyder played a big part in it. We shall see.

What to do about Ethan? He and the Dynamic Duo seem to be an ever-increasing threat. A threat that’s wrecking Buffy’s birthday, no less! This cannot be allowed to stand! (Oooh. Bad choice of words. Sorry, Spike!)

Why is Spike such a masochist? Is that a demon-thing or a him-thing? Either way, he should be happy – Buffy gets violent when she’s tense. Still, that’s just not healthy. For either of them. This situation is eerily reminiscent of canon!S6 and must be dealt with.

I loved your closing scene. You can always count on the Scoobies to some much needed, if (mostly) inadvertent humor.

Unfortunately I had no time to proof, but I didn’t see any egregious typos. Not too shabby!

As always, thank you for sharing this with us! I’m really hoping that your writer’s block disperses and you can post again soon.
Come back to us Griffs!
Luv chapter 1 . 6/9
Why no update?! This story is so wonderful and getting so good but you leave your readers hanging. Was it something we said? Something we did? I can be a better reader! Just, please, come back and give more story! Q.Q
evilteddybear chapter 29 . 6/5
This story is the best! Thank you so much! It fulfils so many cravings I didn't even know I had!
Alright now...we're all waiting for the next big chapter
TFK-fan118 chapter 29 . 5/24
I love this. I absolutely adore the interactions of the gang, spike included, and I can't wait for more. Urgh, Angel is like SUPER MEGA asshole and I wish him gone.
Svetocha chapter 29 . 4/29
This story is great, I love it.
Rihannon chapter 29 . 4/28
You really make the wait worthwhile. Awesome update.
TieDyeJackson chapter 29 . 4/20
Do not worry about the slow updates. I know how it can be as my EF story is in limbo as Mr Block kicks my behind.

This was such an awesome chapter, Spuffy kissage and mega-tension mixed with the satifaction of putting her A*****e father in his place.

It's raining here but your little chapter made me giddy and happy. Thank you kindly.
Ferris chapter 29 . 4/18
What a lovely chapter. I must say, I have been very pleased with how their relationship (or lack of, as of late) has been progressing slowly. Too often it's rushed and the way emotions turn don't seem right. This was a good chapter in terms of that.

Out of curiosity, is the look you had going for Spike this chapter like when he fought his second slayer?

Loved Principal Snyder's little cameo.
Hercules8 chapter 29 . 4/18
Thank you for updating!
EllieRose101 chapter 29 . 4/18
You've really ramped up the tension there, luv. And the good kind, too *wink*
Just one thing, though, in the sentence: "Angelus isn't a veal kind of guy." Put like that it means he doesn't go for young people, especially, and that he therefore is likely to bite Ethan. You should have written that he IS a veal kind of guy, to make it work. Then again, I'm not sure I like the comparison to Spike. Anyways, I LOVED this chapter. It felt like real progression. And yay, Spike can feel his legs! Nice way to bring that around, lol. Original! *goes off to drool at the thought of Spike in eyeliner*
yaaaaaay chapter 29 . 4/18
more updates need. more spuffy sexual tension in my life please and thank you
ElizabethTARDIS chapter 29 . 4/17
I loved this chapter and it more than makes up for the wait. I mean there's some spuffy lovin, Buffy's miserable excuse of a father is put in his place, a birthday miracle ( aka a kiss that returns feeling to the legs of one leather-clad vampire ) and future birthday shenanigans are to be expected...