Reviews for The Blues Others
Jo Z. Pierce chapter 1 . 1/29/2008
OH, man... I wish I knew Daria better than the one or two episodes I saw. But I know the BB, and this was really a very funny parody of it. Honestly, I didn't need to know Daria to understand this, and appreciate the humor! What a great take on a classic!

JANE: Damn, this place has got everything.

DARIA: Everything but taste.

Good stuff. Real good stuff!
Delilah Kelley chapter 1 . 8/8/2007
I'm a huge Blues Brothers fan and I know the movie dialogs and scenes by heart. I don't know 'Daria' and what kind of show it is but nonetheless, I really enjoyed your parody. It cracked me up, really. The adaptation was made intelligently. In your author's notes, you mention that Daria is Elwood and Jane is Jake. But some of the actions are exchanged (ah... the sabotage of the boys band van... great !) Real great story, packed with action and humor (well, that goes with the Blues brothers too anyway...) Keep up the nice work !
kaykyaka chapter 1 . 12/21/2004
Just a quick note to say I think your story is great, as were your others, "The Next Step", "Committed" and " D is for Daria".

You have quite an imagination and I thoroughlly enjoyed reading them. I hope you are still writing, keep up the good work.
Wildgoose1 chapter 1 . 10/28/2002
hehehehehe, ...I loved it!
Miki chapter 1 . 10/10/2002
Can your fiction get any funnier? Looks like the sky's the limit...!
Steven Galloway chapter 1 . 10/8/2002
Yam! You madman! You lunatic! You maniac! You-

(Suddenly calm tone) But I'm getting a little ahead of myself, here. Every once in awhile, a great 'Daria' fanfic writer *has* to do a ridiculously hilarious fic because of a brief bout of insanity. It's just the way of the writing world. Of life in general. Ask Kara "Abruptly Amy" Wild. Ask Erin Mills and of his Muppet/Daria fic. Ask Crazy Nutso in anything he's written concerning 'Daria'. Ask them all. Well, it's happened again, folks. Very good fic, Yam. I liked the way you escaped canon for awhile with this, and the way the entire plot wrapped up in one nice, neat package. (I'm trying not to ruin the plot for anyone who's reading the reviews first, you understand)

Now, please hold still while I place this straight jacket on you, there's a good lad... ;D
Roger E. Moore chapter 1 . 10/7/2002
This is a brilliant work of comic genius, so good it's almost too good to be true. It successfully combines "The Blues Brothers" with "Daria" and even has snappy dialog, funny & original one-liners, lively and in-character characters, and a quick pace that makes it great fun to read. One of the best crossovers I've ever read of any kind. Thank you, Mike! I needed that! Wish I'd thought of some of your jokes, however. Damn. Incredible work.
Ella Roberta Reamy chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
OMG! Best spoof I've read yet! I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me. :P
CherryCoke chapter 1 . 10/5/2002
Although I have never seen the Blues Brothers, I found this Daria fic one of the most entertaining I have ever read. I loved it. I can't wait to read some of your other stories!
Divamercury chapter 1 . 10/4/2002
Awesome story! This was so hilarious! An awesome parody for an awesome show and great movie. Thanks so much!

DM
paul chapter 1 . 10/4/2002
wow, really well written... very professional! great story too. i enjoyed it. keep it up!
manx chapter 1 . 10/3/2002
oh yea... may I just say, I LOVED THIS! the Blues Brothers is one of my favourite ever movies, and this was a brilliant, very clever parody. Alison as Carrie Fisher was impressive, tho I reckon Jane should have kissed her, _then_ dropped her in the mud...all in all, a very peachy fic!
Yuriyepgrav chapter 1 . 10/3/2002
I love it! TAkeing such a great film, the blues brothers, and parodying it with the cast and crew of Daria...

Truely enjoyable.

THe torching of the elevator music was great! and Quinn takeing over john candy's role... Very funny.
Smileyfax chapter 1 . 10/2/2002
This was freaking great. All the people who prefer 'canon' Daria fiction should definitely read this story; all the characters act pretty much in...character.

Excellent work.
tragic composure chapter 1 . 10/2/2002
Normally I don't care much for fanfics in script format, particularly very long fics. However becasue you do use decent formatting and stage actions besides mere dialogue it works rather well.

As far as the story goes it was a lot of fun to read... I will admit it is a little farfetched for a Daria episode but that is one of the good things about fanfiction. And you managed to pull it off so that it IS believable, just on a bit larger and wackier scale.

My favorite scene was them 'performing' the Daria theme song. Very clever and fun.

Only gripe I have are a few scenes did drag just a bit in the middle. Not major... usually once it began to happen you would move on before the eyes glazed over but a few things could probably been shortened a tad.

Overall... great effort. One of the better Daria fics I have seen in awhile.