Reviews for To Find Our Long Forgotten Gold
Well, I've just started reading this story, based on a recommendation from my sister, and it seems pretty good so far. The characterisations are rather good - it's easy to imagine Bilbo in particular behaving and talking like this! His viewpoint adds a sort of subtle humour to what would otherwise be a very serious chapter. I can imagine the moment when he realises he's eaten Fili's dinner, it's hilarious.
You've handled the interaction between Thorin and Fili masterfully as well. They both appear dejected and I suspect that's something to do with the fact that Kili's currently missing from the narrative (I didn't even realise that until halfway through the chapter). There's many hints that something is going on, but nothing concrete. You've handled it all wonderfully.
LittleLonnie chapter 1 . 3/27
I was chatting with a friend of mine online thinking she wrote dwuf by mistake which eventually lead me here and wow am I grateful. I love stories like this. It feels very well thought through and it's charming and just an amazing read. Not to mention my Fili and Kili feels are off the charts. Again. Thank you very much XD And Bilbo. I've always had a brotp with this trio so this is just another thing that makes me love it all the more. I'm at like chapter 16 at this point and I can't put it down, but I don't want it to end either so it's very addictive. Amazing story!
Samwise the Strong chapter 39 . 3/23
This was lovely, and I quite enjoyed it. Thank you so much for the adventure. It is one of the more truly emotional stories that I have read, and I am very glad that it had a happy ending. Thank you and cheers!
Noxy the Proxy chapter 39 . 2/1
Strange ending. But good.
V4Vasha chapter 39 . 1/25
Thank you for such an incredible story. Looking forward to more from you.
Oh my god, I'm bawling. This is so beautiful
EmeraldGrey57 chapter 39 . 1/6
Oh my god. I don't even like.. okay, first off, this story is the best Hobbit story I've read, if not one of the best fanfictions I've ever read and I've read plenty of them.
Your representation of all the characters in this was perfect, especially Kili, Fili, Thorin and Bilbo. I like, don't even know what to say except this was perfect in every way.
And,you nailed the parts when Bilbo was teaching Kili how to speck, those were my favorite scenes by far because it just showed how damaged, for lack of a better word, Kili was because of the Orcs.
I don;t know what else to say except this was amazing and I can definitely seeing myself reading this over and over again in the future.
Just.. Fuck that was an amazing ride! Thank you for writing and posting it!
xx
Elwaith chapter 39 . 1/2
Great story! It makes me wonder, does the original storyline continue, with the business with the One Ring, or does the fact that Thorin, Fili and Kili survive change things somehow?
Wizard92 chapter 39 . 12/30/2014
i absolutly loved reading this story! nice work!
LisaG16 chapter 39 . 10/11/2014
bravo! quite an epic! so good to see kili smile even if it's briefly.
Sentinelle chapter 2 . 9/14/2014
It's surprising to see Fili with such thirst for Orc blood. But it is understandable.
At the end of the chapter, I was surprised at the behavior of Kili, and I wondered how you will describe that during the next events.
Sentinelle chapter 1 . 9/13/2014
I started to read this story to progress in English (I'm French). I put it on Kindle (less tiring on the eyes than the computer), and I read everything in two weeks. It was really exciting. I really love this story!
And now, I'll put reviews to try to advance in english writing :) I hope I won't make mistakes!
In this first chapter, I found that you wrote very well (and I've learned lots of vocabulary words!). I think your humor with Bilbo is much like that of Tolkien.
annea101 chapter 38 . 9/6/2014
i have found that there is very few things in this life that can beat the expression of a parent when there child is returned to them alive even if they still have to heal.
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 39 . 8/23/2014
The opening was a bit abrupt- if nothing else, I felt the plot slightly suffered by your lack of an explanation for why they’re starting out with thirteen when part of Gandalf’s reasoning for Bilbo’s addition to the Company was to avoid an unlucky number- but you certainly sowed the seeds for some interesting developments even before you brought in this new version of Kili, and subsequent events are superbly handled.
Not only do you create a fascinating look at how Kili has been changed by his time in orc ‘captivity’- even if you raise some questions about why they’d do that rather than just kill him- but you create some interesting insights into orc culture into the bargain, such as Gandalf’s observations about his difficulty in communicating with Kili due to the lack of words for certain concepts in the Black Speech. Subsequent events as the Company decide to take Kili with them are also handled well, presenting a plausible explanation for them attempting something so comparatively dangerous that isn’t just simple plot convenience- some writers just try too hard to ‘force’ events to happen the way they did originally even if it obviously wouldn’t fit- and subsequent events are also fascinatingly disturbing, such as the elves’ reaction to Kili’s presence or the steps that the dwarves have to take in order to get Kili through Lake-Town.
The aftermath of Smaug’s death is comparatively straightforward, but you certainly included some interesting additions to Bilbo’s ‘betrayal’, and the aftermath even made a certain sense; with Thorin and Fili fighting for something more specific and abstract than a person they could see falling in front of them, they were able to keep going just that bit longer (Kili was naturally ‘safe’ as he was probably just being kept prisoner to be unveiled at the most psychologically damaging moment), along with a very interesting resolution to Kili’s storyline as he is finally released from his old bonds and given a new chance at peace and freedom (Albeit in a manner that nobody would have immediately expected).
jamester56 chapter 39 . 8/9/2014
This story is so very beautiful. I loved your portrayal of the characters. I loved that there was no magic fix for Kili, because that is how it is in real life. Healing is a slow, messy business. This is, hands down, one of the best Hobbit fanfics I have ever read. You have done an excellent job of taking Tolkein's characters and bringing them to life; they are different from the characters Tolkein wrote of, but still perfectly in character. Bravo! Encore!