Reviews for Skin Deep
Lady Silverfrost chapter 13 . 2/8/2014
i feel bad for thranduil, but i think caladhel will help him :) good heartfelt chapter. update soon
Salome Maranya chapter 12 . 2/4/2014
Well such event would certainly change things-
Looking forward to the two interacting in the next chapter.
:D
Thanks for the update!
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 12 . 2/4/2014
I like the high emotion in this Chapter for poor Caladhel. The chapter is well named "Blame". Tuven blames her; she blames herself, Beleth blames Thranduil ...at least for most of it. the question is, who does he blame?
This was a very insightful commentary on their complicated relationship:
"What he saw when he met you was a threat, a mystery, or a challenge. And one held such, is not accounted low, but an equal -or a better."
... and what Thranduil chooses to love, he will defend without hesitation."
I can tell Daerel is not the only one with matchmaking ambitions ;)
However, when you say "Caladhel had little reason to doubt Beleth's words...", I believe you are using an interesting device which I cannot think of the name of...
*takes 10 minutes to ask google what the term is but discovers that Google ACTUALLY doesn't know some things?!*
It is when a character thinks she knows the full truth, but the reader picks up on clues that the character has missed. She was so distracted by the fact that Beleth had just revealed a side of her antihero that she didn't consider before, that she missed the rather obvious hint Beleth just gave her that it was love that caused Thranduil to take the arrow for her, all the while thingking that she understands the elleth completely.

I really like the restoration with Haldor. They will be friends for life now. She is very genuine in her apologies. She knows how to use deception and intrigue when she must, but I figure it is a great relief to her to be open and honest in her relationships with people. I admire that about her.
I respect her tremendously for making friends so naturally and keeping them even when she could easily be seen with suspicion after costing so many valiant ellons their vigor and condition (but, no thanks to her, not their lives) including their King.
Perhaps we can give SOME credit to Beleth for that.

It was very kind of you to give us a glimpse of what Beleth and Tuven's relationship was like before grief and hatred robbed him of his joy. One thing I would love to see happen before the close of this story, is for a measure of comfort and hope brought back into their marriage and particularly Tuven's own heart. I have great confidence that one who could confer it on Maglor the Kinslayer and Erestor the inscrutable, could also, if she wishes to, bring it to this poor, bitter and tortured soul. I don't expect it would look the same. He carries the same pride and prejudices in his heart that Thranduil has cultivated so long, and both, it would appear, for good reason. However a sober dose of humiliation and honesty, followed quickly by gracious forgiveness would do him the world of good. I am not sure at all how that could come to pass, but I doo humbly beseech thee to bring it to pass...
Funnily enough, I want this marriage healed even more than Caladhel's marriage to come to pass.
And as for Celebrian's, she can get hitched in a registry office for all I care...
*flips head nonchalantly and then twinkles back over her shoulder with a grin at Elrond's most loyal fanclubber's disapproval*
Oh well, that is all for now,
I can hear little girls still giggling in the library despite having been sent to bed half an hour ago.
Akira Darkness chapter 12 . 2/3/2014
Noooooooo! I must know what happens! I await eagerly for the next chapter! T-T
Koury Coving chapter 12 . 2/3/2014
Great chapter, again! However I was hoping Caladhel and Thranduil would have some interactions... You're a very mean person to make everyone wait! ;)

As for my critical eye: the characters all have believable actions, thumbs up for that! I would definitely feel the same way as Caladhel; thank goodness for Belleth, am I right? Anyway, my only problem with this chapter is grammar. It's my pet peeve, but it doesn't really take away from the story, unless you're me. Lol! You don't have to go back and change all of this or anything, but I'm going to point out what I saw for future reference.

1) In one of the sentences you wrote in which Tuven is angry, there is a repeat phrase.

"Tuven rounded on [his wife], splitting fury between Caladhel and [his wife]."

Putting "his wife" twice in one sentence isn't grammatically wrong, but I personally think it would sound better if you reworded it. Something like:

"Tuven rounded on his wife, splitting his fury between her and Caladhel."

The "her" refers back to Beleth so you don't need to put her title more than once.

2) Capitalization! This is something a lot people, including myself, have trouble with. That's probably because it doesn't change the way the sentence sounds/reads, so it seems unimportant.

When you're referring to a person with a title, say King Thranduil, you capitalize the "King." However, you only do so when his name is *after* the title.

Ex) King Thranduil is hungry.
The king is hungry.
or...
Lady Caladhel is in her room.
The lady is in her room.

3) Well, I'm quite positive this one is just an accident, but I'm going to point it out anyway in case you want to fix it. :P

Belleth knew what it was Caladhel truly wished to ask. "You mean is he different from how is now?"

You forgot the "he" between how and is.

4) This would be another repeat phrase in which you can reword the sentence to make it sound better.

"Caladhel could not help [but] laugh [but] no humor reached her eyes."

The "but" is redundant. You could say something more like:

"Caladhel could not help but laugh, however no humor reached her eyes."

Okay, my tendency to be a grammar police is quite large, as you can see. I'm still loving the story and I can't wait for the next chapter! Keep it up! :)

-Koury
Qeani chapter 12 . 2/3/2014
Congratulations once again on another chapter! I am glad that Caladhel understands the outcome of her actions, and I am enjoying the relationships she is forming with characters such as Beleth, Haldor, and Daerel. I am also curious to see what direction Thranduil chooses to take, whether to allow her to leave, or if she will stay. Good job, and I can hardly wait to see what happens next! :)
Un tango mas chapter 12 . 2/3/2014
Wonderful story, even though I don't see Thranduil's character in quite the same way, your version of him is brilliant and I love all your original characters. They are all so rounded and well thought out.
That being said...evil cliff hanger! I hope you'll be able to update midweek :)
LittleNK chapter 12 . 2/3/2014
Good, now, they should talk and clear thing up.
ImmatureChild chapter 12 . 2/2/2014
Holy, I love this story! Caladhel is one of the best OCs I've read in a long time! And the plot is just plain fabulous. I'm loving the detail you put in, I'll definitely be waiting for the next chapter! XD
DreamingOfMidnightStars chapter 12 . 2/2/2014
This story is amazing! Very well written :) the suspense is killing me... Keep up the fantastic work! Update soon :)
LWurd chapter 12 . 2/2/2014
I hope Daerel succeeds in her actions of bringing Caladhel and Thranduil together. Even though they had a rough start, him risking his life for her is definitely a good start towards a happier relationship between the two. I'm cheering Daerel on! Go, Daerel, go! :)
YoursAnnie chapter 12 . 2/2/2014
Great chapter!:* thanks for updating:))
MadamBaby chapter 12 . 2/2/2014
Daerel is so adorable.
Viciously Witty chapter 12 . 2/2/2014
This next encounter should prove interesting. Caladhel feels contrite, but I wonder how long that will last considering Thranduil's nature. Of the verbal swordplay betwixt those two :)
Guest chapter 12 . 2/2/2014
Can't wait for Thranduil und Caladhen to talk to each other again. I love this story.
2,472 | « Prev Page 1 .. 145 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 .. Last Next »