Reviews for Skin Deep
FlayAltadusa chapter 5 . 12/30/2013
Great chapter! Keep writing.
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 4 . 12/30/2013
This is fantastic characterisation Epi.
I love it that you have created an elvish bureaucrat! Tuven, despite his elegant acute (which I cannot figure out how to make), is just a finickity and self important as any stereotype government worker: completely ignoring context, and taking delight in thwarting other people's plans, just for the sheer power trip it gives him.
Thranduil, on the other hand, is a complete contrast to the noble, wise and benevolent elvish Lords you have previously given us. Celeborn has elements of the same suspicion and aloof-ness, but it is tempered with wisdom and justice, whereas Thranduil seems at this stage to be driven by a malevolent spirit of cruelty and arrogance. This is very good. For those of us who do not delve deeply into Tolkein's appendixes and the Sillmarillion, it would be easy to think that elves were always good, albeit a bit aloof and inclined to keep to themselves, but this is not the case, as you have so clearly pointed out in your exploration of the whole prejudice against prhedhel and the depravity such prejudices led Eruana's tormentors to, as well as the entire saga of Feanor's sons and the Simrills. Now we are seeing a bit more of the picture of Mirkwood elves. The corruption is there form the top down.
This makes perfect sense considering the evil malice which is occupying Dol Guldur during this time. It's brooding presence is undoubtedly a factor in the corruption seeping into Thranduil's heart and that of his subjects, who have not a Melian or Galadriel to shield them from the eye of the enemy.

Excellent foreshadowing in your opening paragraph BTW: of the lofty throne indicating a tyrannical oppressive kind of rule. What a brilliantly graphic contrast to make between the high Kings who rule for the good of their people, and are approachable and dedicated to the good of their realms, and this Elvish oppressor who seems to have seized god-like status and rules by fear.

I am addicted already, which is a problem as we are on holiday and will find it hard to get updates while I travel.
Until next time I will be having much to think upon.
DD chapter 4 . 12/30/2013
Cool story, keep up the good work!
Animalfeelings chapter 4 . 12/29/2013
Really interesting. Like it a lot...looking forward for more :D
Takuma-Elisabeth chapter 4 . 12/29/2013
This is very intriguing! I can't wait to see where you take the story! :)
Sam0728 chapter 4 . 12/29/2013
I would have been glaring and growling once an insult was issued about my family...I guess my personality is more that of a Dwarf then an Elf...all my childhood dreams, wasted!
Update again soon, love the story so far!
Vivstar chapter 4 . 12/29/2013
Very interesting. Please update again soon.
Emma D chapter 1 . 12/28/2013
I really am enjoying this story! I like your characters an I am very interested to see where this story line will lead. I hope you update again soon!
Sam0728 chapter 3 . 12/28/2013
So she is just a fountain of knowledge?
Update again soon, love this story!
Sam0728 chapter 2 . 12/28/2013
Good so far, can't wait for the next chapter!
Update again soon!
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 2 . 12/28/2013
This is an unexpected treat!
I thought I would be waiting for months if not another year or so for another story...
Bless you P.J!
I like Caladhel. She reminds me of someone but I don't think it is from one of your stories. I have a funny feeling it is someone in Boz4pm's "Okay, now Panic"
You have mentioned Haldir, does this mean you are going to have Rumil in here too?
*looks hopeful*
You know, if Caladhel is destined to be Legolas' Mummy, that would be too cute for words! I can just imagine him getting his playful nature from her and his stern stalwart side from his Father.
I hope she would not be too miserable with Thranduil. Perhaps when he was in love he would not be so bitter and proud. I can imagine that some of his prejudice and harshness might have come from griefs of various sorts...
ladymoonscar chapter 2 . 12/27/2013
you're not the only one who was inspired by that Thranduil Two-Face scene for a fanfic
I like this so far