Reviews for The Victors Project
4chan anon chapter 60 . 5/21
MAHOGANY
Red Sting chapter 13 . 4/23
So I am back with a slightly unusual idea. Here are a few pairs of characters I think would have been interesting to genderswap with each other in the story;

-Bovina and Emrys. It's a little hard for me to believe a more physically built District like 10 only had 1 male victor ever and I think her personality may have made for a unique, very self deprecating but also very sincere guy character. To keep the gender numbers even Emrys can be a girl, where you can maybe explore her life in the District a bit more.

-Phoebus and Berenice. I think a cocky, swaggery female Career victor would be extremely cool to follow and an understated, serious and slightly odd looking boy that proves his skills way against his looks would also have been fun [though mayyybe he would be too similiar to Abram next year, but I think you could've found a way around that].

Anyway this'll probably be the last review for a while...cheers.
Red Sting chapter 44 . 4/22
Ah Jade...one of the many characters I underappreciated the first time round, but you perhaps above most if not all others. For you, I think one of my favourite, perhaps all of our favourites, Anya Taylor Joy, would be best assigned as your actress. What a...yeah, I'm actually surprised I didn't notice her more before, I was maybe more focused on the ultra serious characters like Ahenobarbus, Halibut or Woof to notice her, but she still stood out. Interesting that she and Haymitch are back to back, because they slightly resemble each other in personality to me and it was the District 1 girl that Haymitch killed at the end of the Quell...some tie there through mentoring perhaps? And again, Ahenobarbus seemed sort of like a dark mirror to Haymitch as well, a sort of grandfather or uncle nephew bond [though a very dark one] would be interesting there...or would have been. Great chapter anyway!

Mean Girls is indeed a phenomonal film.
a lot better than the canon story of the first Victor of district 12 in the tenth hunger games
Red Sting chapter 46 . 4/11
So this chapter was interesting. I actually have an unusual perspective on it I haven't seen before. I think you should've swapped the format for Chaff and Boudicca's chapters. Out of all the areas in your story, not that it was particularly awful or flat or anything, I think it's fair to say District 11 was the least focused on [apart from 12 but that's to be expected with what the books were about lol]. I would've loved to see a grounded, character driven approach to Chaff growing up there, his relationship with every body, sense of humour if it existed then, growing resentment towards the Capitol, fighting skills, hints of rebellion and then build it up to him entering the Games themselves. Whereas with Boudicca I don't think there was quite enough detail on her backstory that it was super effective for me, and since her character herself is kind of the 'ice queen' of District 2, the unknowable emotionless lady, I think focusing on her Games through the mentors' perspective would've been a great way to show off her terrifying skills and prowess. You could still humanise her a bit by maybe keeping the ending of her weeping, and in other chapters like Justus, Ares, Katniss, Bonds of Blood, etc. Bonus points in that we would see the interactions of the first female victors with the old Boys' Club, such as Mags and Ahenobarbus and Platinum, Wheaton and Bovina, etc. Overall this wasn't badddd, I just think there's a slight missed opportunity there.
Ghost chapter 77 . 3/27
Incredibly gripping series you've written! I had to keep a running list of tributes just to keep them all straight. Makes your undertaking all the more respectful for it's depth.

I enjoyed that you mixed things up, recounted some victor's in depth, some from the perspective of other victor's or officials. Made for a more encompassing world. I can tell this was a labor of love. Thank you for sharing it with us all
Red Sting chapter 9 . 3/22
Well after The Batman my only thought now is Robert Pattinson as [age appropriate] Halibut. Just saying.
YOUR MIND. This is just...wow.
Michael Rhett chapter 66 . 3/4
I did enjoy this. The films never give Finnick his due like the book does. In the book, you care that Finnick dies; you're really upset. It's the film, it's just a bit sad. Here, you add to his mythos and all that the Capital took from him, and it's actually even more understandable he'd be willing to give his life to release others from what was taken from him. Thanks
Michael Rhett chapter 55 . 3/3
Halibut snapped. nice
Red Sting chapter 33 . 3/2
Oh and Halibut as well for kids.
Red Sting chapter 35 . 3/2
So just a couple of other things I've been trying to figure out lately;

The victors named in the books as having children were Finnick and Annie [together], Katniss and Peeta [together] and Cecilia. This story adds in Brutus [with Cecilia], Chevy, Elena and Ares, as well as most likely Ben-I think this is right? No one else apart from that.

That reference about the victor whose girlfriend was sent into the Games has been wracking my brain a bit lately. The closest I can understand it is that either this was an accident/retcon or the Victor-'no one spectacular'-was referrring to one of the following; Career Districts-possibly Barty or Brilliance, no one else fits; outliers; Connor, Nolan or possibly Chaff? May also have just been a mistake.
Red Sting chapter 36 . 2/28
The Kevin Spacey suggestion is good. I like that. For Briseis the closest image that comes to mind is probably Rachel Brosnahan [or maybe Natalie Portman, forget the Vera suggestion]. I wish you could've given a bit more physical description to some of them in some cases though.

Also, for Mannanan when he shows up I kind of get a more serious version of Ron Swanson vibe from him. He also reminds me of Ben. It's interesting to think of these simliarities between victors who seem rather different on the surface. Mannanan and Ben, Ahenobarbus and Haymitch, Blight and Platinum, even Mags and Cecilia a little bit.

Tom Holland as Connor is not good. Connor was described, or at least strongly implied, to be at least 6 feet and a couple of inches tall [the 'powerfully-built' lumberjack from 7, chapter 56] and heavily muscled. Tom Holland is neither of those things and doesn't really have the right vibe in general for him. Andrew Garfield as Blight is rather good though [even though, yet again, we saw some of these characters in the movies]. Tobey Maguire I can see as Chevy. Obviously not Chevy at the point of his death, he was considerably older then, but somewhere along the line.

Put a blonde wig on Daniel Bruhl and you also have Luster Lancaster [who fits the pyschopath description better than Gloss, Gloss seemed actually attached to his sister].
Red Sting chapter 42 . 2/22
Since we're all so enthusiastic about fancasting, allow me to put forward an unexpected option; Dylan O'Brien as Eamon Sullivan. Got a sort of slightly introverted charm and swagger, a slightly ambigious look to him at times which may make him more believable as an extremely sadistic and cunning sadist. Ahenobarbus is difficult, partly because I also imagine him to have been very tall...even though you never said anything about his height. That being said, although after reading the Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes I imagine Tanner Buchanan as young Snow, I think he would also be very solid as Platinum Wesley. Toss in Peyon List as Jade. And...I'm awkward on this because we saw him in the movies with an established actor already but I could see William Zabka as Nolan perhaps? And Jason Isaacs has to be somebody of course. My vote is for Thread's brother, from Arrow chapter 10. He can make a brutal impression with a short screen time.

Speaking of Nolan...I feel almost like was there something missing for him? Similar to Brilliance it felt like something may have been set up for him in his chapter but then we only see him in 3 chapters very briefly afterwards and with only one line of dialogue...did you cut some sort of side plot for him maybe?
ClintonBush43Obama chapter 74 . 2/22
Mrs. Everdeen has her Molly Weasley moment! Even the dialogue is almost identical! That had to have been intentional!

By the way, you hit 1,000 reviews on November 24th, 2015. Congrats for reaching 2,000 reviews on February 22nd, 2022!
2,044 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »