Reviews for Light Up The Sky
Ellenka chapter 10 . 12/10/2014
Ahh the epic end. Or more like beginning, but still. I don't exactly know how is the harrowing supposed to go or if I understood it right - did they interpret her choosing not to fight in the fade as failure, and then her choice to fight them after as wrong and punishable by death anyway? What a clusterfuck but wouldn't put it past them. Anyway, loved all the thought & description going into it - so real it hurt.

Also loved the twist with the demon looking like Anders. Kinda reminds me of this quote, I found it earlier and it just feels so relevant for these two: To love a prophet is to become their desert ... they always walk away.

Idek why but I think the piece that hit me hardest was this: "they pull at a long-deadened sense of wonder somewhere deep inside her." Ouch. But yeah. Love when that happens. And your stories always do it for me :)
Ellenka chapter 9 . 12/9/2014
(catching up here too) - 's been a time so I almost forgot how devastating this is, but wow so good. You have this uncanny talent to make even the most introspective thing totally epic. (ikr but you are just proving it time and time again.)
Ahh and I'm feeling this so much rn. maybe too much but nevermind, i'm glad I finally got around to it. (sorry.)
"she just knows what she wants. Sometimes. When you ask her at exactly the right minute." - oh yes I feel this so much.
"The fear she feels grows heavier and more intense with every passing minute that something doesn't happen, until it turns into a pervasive, heavy dread." - hello, anxiety, my old friend. I mean, of course she had a more serious reason to feel that way but still - I kinda can't get over how relatable the whole chapter was to the terror of being trapped in one's own mind - all the way to the weighing whether a little escape is worth the effort, the (fulfilled) temptation to stir things up and make them worse just because fuck it that's why, all the underlying rage that just blindly slams against the walls, the desire to feel something ELSE that can end up in dangerous places. ALL of that, so much. I'm sorry I'm kinda interpreting it as one great big metaphor and maybe it just has a lot to do with the state i am/was in while reading but it just WORKED that way so well.
Eve Hawke chapter 10 . 9/12/2014
So she's going to be a Gray Warden! I'm willing to bet she never saw that ending coming, when she was dragged to the tower as a little one! And Amell comes full circle. No doubt, she'll be exactly what Duncan needs, though of course he may not live to see that come true. ;-)

Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing!
Eve Hawke chapter 1 . 9/10/2014
What a powerful beginning! My heart aches for little Rhyanon. The depth you bring to her is wonderful... I love the little details, like how she enjoys the light from the stained glass windows. I like, too, the comparison to how the Chantry must be trying to recreate magic with those windows. :-) Your writing style is gorgeous! I know I'm very much going to enjoy this story! :-)
Graymalkyn chapter 10 . 8/3/2014
The conclusion to this stage of her life is mighty fine. That final certainty, devoid of thoughts of men and expectations and petty limitations, is more herself than she's ever been. (The one-shot with Nathaniel now makes much more sense. Thank you for writing it.)
Dabbles R Us chapter 10 . 6/28/2014
This is amazing. You're amazing. I loved this, so very much. So much emotion and such beautiful wording of it all. I am sad to see it end but I can't wait to hear more about Rhyanon's story! 3
Suilven chapter 10 . 6/27/2014
This was such a powerful chapter, and it brought back all the emotional memories from the beginning of the story. I think I need to go back and read the first few chapters all over again right now. :)
JayRain chapter 10 . 6/25/2014
I have very few words that are adequate to describe my feelings on this. Excellent falls too short of the mark. Overall, I love how this final chapter captures who Rhyanon is: she's not what anyone wants her to be. She does what is necessary when it's necessary, and all of the blurry lines that are supposed to be boundaries, she has no time for. Boundaries are important; but when boundaries are set for the purpose of caging people and inhibiting their growth, then there's a problem, and that's what the Circle did. I love just how ambiguous she is as a person and a character. There's no right or wrong about her, just what must be done in the moment, and if she's the one to do it, it will be done. Excellent origin story. I loved it! I want more Rhyanon!
Lillystar610 chapter 10 . 6/24/2014
I love this. Its compelling and really gets to the heart of what it is probably like for a mage child to grow up in the circle. Thanks for this wonderful AU for a Amell orign.
alyssacousland chapter 10 . 6/24/2014
WOW! This ending was BRILLIANT! Loved every single word and paragraph! Rhyanon is so special, and deserves to be treated with respect. :D
commander-shakarian chapter 10 . 6/24/2014
Blood Magic! Woohoo! I loved the ending for this hun! Perfect for Rhyanon. :)
Suilven chapter 9 . 6/13/2014
Love this bit:

"She sits at a table close to where one of the younger Harrowed mages is attempting to tutor a small group of recent arrivals. The children are young enough to still look wide-eyed at simple displays of power that will never be enough to get them out of here."

Rhyanon's pain is raw and heartbreaking. This whole chapter made my heart ache, but it was awesome. :)
alyssacousland chapter 9 . 6/13/2014
Wow! Blood magic? I never would have guessed this!

Great chapter as always! :D
JayRain chapter 9 . 6/10/2014
There's a really delicate balance and a lot of really fine lines Rhyanon walks, and seeing her cross one of those lines, and have to deal with the fallout, is really interesting. She's spent most of this story toeing the line and raging against the system, but when she finally crosses it, and sees and feels it all affecting her personally (and not just those she cares for) it's really powerful. Again, I'm glad she has Stephen, who seems to get her in ways even Irving doesn't, and who plays a good balance between Jowan and Anders.

I'm so glad I got caught up at last. This is all just brilliantly insightful. I know a lot of people who write multiple Warden stories and deal with multiple Origins, but I don't think I could do that, one, because I'm too attached to my own BDHC, and two, because Rhyanon is so ingrained in my mind as the quintessential mage origin. You write the Circle and all its horrors so well, and all the characters so deeply with all of their talents and flaws and hopes and fears that I never want to touch it. Except maybe Jowan. I'll keep working with him; he's probably my second favorite "robbed of potential" character.

Looking forward to future of the story!
JayRain chapter 8 . 6/10/2014
Jowan, tranquil? I think my heart just broke. And Rhyanon fighting against it, fighting it out, is just as heart breaking. The fight with Stephen is well done, and it's evident how her emotions channel into her power. Stephen is a great match for her, because he's been through the Harrowing and has lived in the Tower long enough to know what things are like. He's understanding without being patronizing, which is something the Tower needs in general. He kind of reminds me of the way a young Irving may have been, which may be why Rhyanon gets on with him so well, and why he understands her. I don't know, I may just be rambling at this point. Either way, I think that's what I like about your characters and their relationships: they send me into crazy analysis mode, which is a frame of mind I very much enjoy.