Reviews for Een zang voor Beleg Laer Cu Beleg
Annelies Vanherck chapter 1 . 2/5/2008
Leuk om ook eens iets in het Nederlands te lezen. Ik kwam er per toeval bij terecht na het lezen van je Maglor/Dante verhaal. T'is heel erg mooi, past perfect bij het verhaal ook.
Lothwing chapter 1 . 3/4/2004
Wat een supermooi gedicht! Wow je bent de enige met een verhaal in de Nederlandse sectie van de Silm!
Echt mooi!
Dragon-of-the-north chapter 1 . 8/29/2003
I must admit that I do not speak Dutch, but I believe I did understand the poem more or less well (perhaps because Dutch and Low German are similar in some aspects).

First of all - itis amazing how you manage to give this poem a form that really makes it seem like a song and makes it easy to imagine it as sung - perhaps it is due to the fact that the verses that return (if in slightly changed version) really give the impression of "oral" poetry from a time when repetition and melody had to help to memorize a song.

I also liked the beginning - "Sterk was zijn boog" - that is such a nice play on words with his epithet "Cúthalion" - it was the perfect why of announcing indirectly whose obituary is sung here.

The structure of the poem is also very cleverly done - first, the description of what Beleg did *in* his life, ending in "*in* Dimbar/etc." - contrasted with the second part, rather focussing on his character (and therefore being very close to an obituary speech) and containing the dismal allusions to his death (first "zolang hij leefde", indicating that he does *not* live any more now, then "zo diep is de smart/etc...") ending in "ver van Dimbar/etc...", nicely indicating that Beleg is far away from where he belongs now - in a double sense... (He died far from home - and he is dead now, far from Middle Earth).

Masterfully done - I truly enjoyed this!
Valerie chapter 1 . 4/6/2003
Hoi, leuk gedicht, Larissa gaf me een 1 voor de voordraging dat zijn wel 5 te-kort punten.

Nou ik weet niet wat ik nu nog moet schrijven dus

Doei!-Valerie
Lara7 chapter 1 . 2/25/2003
I'm going to have to review in English since my active Dutch is practically non-existent.

The rhythm and the melody of this piece is wonderful. It fits the situation so well, and the sound alone already adds much depth.

I'm horribly bad at reviewing poetry, and this poem really makes me wish I could do better, because it deserves much better.
Lady Elleth chapter 1 . 2/3/2003
Very nice. I am not sure I understood everything, because my first language is German, not Dutch, but the poem is very touching and captures the friendship Túrin feels for Beleg, even now that he is dead, very well. The rhyming is fantastic, those verses really have *smothing*. Sorry, I can not explain what I mean, but it is something good. Very well done.
Belthronding chapter 1 . 10/28/2002
Wish I could understand this...Poor Beleg anyways
DraztiK chapter 1 . 10/18/2002
Zalig stukske tekst.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 10/8/2002
Surprise, its me!

To be completely honest, I dont speak or read Dutch, but I read it nonetheless (a crazy would- be philologist does not stop at ANYTHING). And I found I understood a half or more. Perhaps my German helped me?*wonders*

However, the best of it all is how it sounds. I read it aloud several times, beautiful! In poetry, I have always favoured short verse, and concise, old- ballad- like songs with repetitions and slight variations, which is just what I found. And tragic too...its an elegy, and how cunningly you mingle in it the sorrow for the loss without being over- dramatic!

Well, Ill say it at last *sighs* Its the first time that I have found the Dutch language beautiful. (No offence and/or flattery intended, just the *truth*)

A hearty applause.

Oh, I was forgetting..."Haleth"? *smiles*
Nemis chapter 1 . 10/4/2002
And now I have to decide whether to review in English or in Dutch, hmm? Bit of both then.

Als het niet het begin van het weekeinde was geweest, had ik een beetje weggepraat over interessante rijmschema's, kwintetten and kwatrijnen. Maar het is weekend, en ik zal niet je niet vervelen. ;))

Really interesting to see the way you use stanzas to tell the reader about the character (much as Tolkien did :)). Celebrating Beleg's mastery of the bow, and how this was famed in the lands he inhabited (which makes the fact that he died so far away so very tragic).

And that mention of friendship, is, in this case, especially poignant.

Besides that, to just lift out something I think makes the ending so grave (as it should), the difference between:

"in Dimbar,

in Brethil,

in Thingols woud."

opposed to:

"ver van Dimbar,

van Brethil,

van Thingols woud."

Suffices to say, I liked it much. *bows to you*

It's not hard to imagine Túrin singing this to honour his friend.

And you made me check the Dutch LotR-page, which is sadly empty indeed.

Rests me to say, I think fighting sadness is a good thing. :)