Reviews for By the Book
SmolCaffrey chapter 20 . 11/1
I adored this book! And to be entirely serious and honest, (slightly amused too) when I had been reading Silbrith’s latest book, Noctu...(long name I don’t exactly remember at the moment, oops.) Henry shows up and he acts all brotherly and Silbrith brought up that he’s his cousin and just now, when I started reading this book (and your earlier ones) I was thinking the whole time that Henry was some weirder living out on the streets like a hobo or something, and then finally ‘finally’ it clicks that ‘he’s the cousin and ‘brotherly’ figure to Neal that’s also in Silbrith’s book. It took me so so long to actually figure that out, idk why haha. Anyways, fantastic book! I gotta go catch up on ... I’ve got it! ... Nocturnal and Gold (somethingclose enough omg lol. I’m so sorry I can’t remember!) And I’ve gotta start the next book after this one! Definitely looking forward to everything, especially if Noelle ever meets Neal in person, that’ll be so endearing and great to read!
JimChou chapter 20 . 5/28
Another great story and we get to see some difficult personal aspects of Neal's past. The relation between Neal and Peter unfolds nicely. As French myself, I find it surprising (in a good way) how the writers of WC are fascinated with France...
PastOneonta chapter 20 . 11/13/2016
This was excellent. It is interesting, entertaining, clever, fun and serious too. I am thrilled to meet Henry and get to know him. He's young and spontaneous, like Neal, but with some additional life experience and business experience that gives him a mature and professional edge. His love for Neal is evident even if he would prefer to call it big brother responsibility.

What a story you have crafted for Henry and his family. What a story of Henry's reunion with Neal and his role in Neal's life. The corporation of Win-Win could work well with the FBI if the individuals comprising those organizations could manage to cooperate. Bureaucracy v. Quick decision making, could be a challenge. It would earn Peter some congratulations to make it happen and give more support to the unique situation with Neal.

We also learned what happened to Neal when he first left St. Louis. He went to Chicago and Henry found him. They traveled together for a while. I have questions! Why did they split? So Henry could go back to school? Did Robert force it? And is that when Neal went to NY? When did Henry meet Kate? Shawn and Neal Legend are aliases? For? Obviously I will continue to read and hope to find answers in future stories.

Neal's abuse by his mom's boyfriend was horrific. He almost died. His mind has locked it up to protect him from the memory. Trusting Peter is starting to bring back those memories. That was difficult. I trusted Henry in the process of getting Neal to talk and getting Peter to better acknowledge his relationship with Neal. It was still stressful though. I wasn't sure Neal should have allowed it, honestly, it is so private and personal. I would worry about sharing it with Peter, who is a new person in Neal's life, who has a job that comes first. I don't know, but I know Neal sees him as a father figure and Peter does want to do the right thing.

Which is why Peter was torn up over Neal putting himself in harms way. He reacted as a father and as a manager of a new employee who's far too independent. That was significant, and it resolved, and maybe it needed to happen when it did.

Neal has other family in his life now. He has Henry's mom, Aunt Noelle. She sounds like a good person. Neal did get comfortable with her which was lovely. He is never bitter over witsec, now that he knows what he missed out on, and he never seems bitter about his mother's inconsistency in his life. He is remarkable that way.

I thought the conclusion to the Sinclair Collins crime was very good, and liked that we saw Thomas Gardner and the little girls again.

If only I reviewed more regularly, there wouldn't be this lengthy of a review now. I am going to keep reading and will try! Thanks so much! Looking forward to the rest.
Arches67 chapter 20 . 4/21/2016
Nice one too.
I really like Henri :-)
thanks
marJan 53 chapter 8 . 5/16/2015
One phone call and Henry is already driving Peter to distraction He certainly figured out how to push Peter's buttons having already read the subsequent stories I know how he does the same with help from El and his mom
marJan 53 chapter 20 . 1/23/2015
I have enjoyed this story very much since this is the third time and counting that i amreading this verse
marJan 53 chapter 16 . 1/23/2015
Poor Peter he doesn't know what he is in for Neal and Henty are each other's alternates having read this verse before I know they become a Force for Chaos al a Shawn
marJan 53 chapter 12 . 1/23/2015
Neal on the floor wrestling with Satchmo shows how young he really is El beating him with the pillow was a nice touch showing her playful side we know she was arrested from future srories on White Collar she sees a kindred spirit in Neal and later Mozzie
peppe1951 chapter 20 . 1/13/2015
Another great story. I enjoy your stories so much that it is hard to put them down to sleep.
jessytemple chapter 1 . 11/13/2014
Doesn't Neal know already that Peter like that kind odlf sandwich? I didn't get it..
TYRider chapter 1 . 4/22/2014
I am really enjoying this series. The way you write everyone is great. I can really hear the characters and picture the scenes in my head. Thank you for sharing!
IritIlan chapter 20 . 3/12/2014
What a nice ending to this story. Planned stories seem great.
I loved how Neal was worried about what happens to the girls after the case. He IS a good person, con or not. Neal and Peter will make a good time, even if it takes them time to learn how. I like them both more and more.

Robert though seem worse worse than more we learn about him. I hope we'll learn more about what he did to Neal, and maybe even see him pays for that a little.
mngrue chapter 20 . 3/11/2014
This was a lovely end to this installment, and I'm avidly awaiting both Envoy and Flashback. Thanks so much for all your hard work on these fics. I look forward to them every week.
BlueDiamondStar chapter 20 . 3/11/2014
Aww that was lovely. The phone talk was touching. Loved!

Oh wait, what? The End? Already?

my, my, my... time flies... *sigh*

I'll be looking forward to new reads ;)
Wondo chapter 1 . 3/10/2014
This series is delightful. I'm eagerly looking forward to your next installment.