Reviews for After the Fall
Zarkko chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
I love it! Really excellent work.
Magery chapter 1 . 4/8/2014
I thought 'steel in the hand' by Mira-Jade was my favourite pieces of Sif/Loki fanfiction.

Then I read this.

Your writing is utterly gorgeous, your characterisations are perfect, the Thanos and Loki interactions were equally as brilliant as those between Loki and Sif, and just... wow.

This was amazing.
Magellan007 chapter 1 . 2/23/2014
I very enjoyed reading this, with the story and mythology meshed together nicely.
I was a little disappointed that the intimate scenes did the 'camera fades to black' routine; I think describing how they were together would've really enhanced the story and our connection to them.
Pieredae's Muse chapter 1 . 2/12/2014
This is a story that shall not leave me for a long time. It's so beautifully written, from its pacing and intricate details (in the best tradition of Robin McKinley, which I couldn't help but think of with your pen name and the time Aerin fell in the Hero and the Crown) to the heartbreakingly poignant characterizations of Loki and Sif. I love the exploration of all the different ways one or something may fall and the realization that it doesn't matter why Loki fell-truth being something easily manipulated here-but that he has been falling for a very long time.

I've come across your stories on Ao3 before (as a Mary Russell fan, I think the Segregation of the Queen is brilliant and would be so appropriate given the most reason Sherlock season... Hint, hint) and am so excited to see that this is the start of a new series. Looking forward to it! Thank you for sharing this with us!
wbss21 chapter 1 . 1/6/2014
This story, I swear to God, should have a million reviews and more. This is AMAZING, and you are a brilliant, gifted writer. Wow, I'm not even sure where to begin to express how incredible this was.

But I guess I can start by saying how deeply moving it was, and how profoundly you captured Loki's tragedy, both as a character, and in the journey of his undoing, by placing it against the backdrop of this beautiful and pure relationship of love he had with Sif, and weaving between them snap-shots of how Thanos tortured him into eventual compliance and complete delusion.

Your portrayal and characterization of Loki and Sif is, honestly, some of the very best I've ever had the pleasure to read, and the way you managed to bring us on this journey through their childhood's together, into young adulthood, later on, into maturity, until we reached the present, and Loki's own fall, was simply breathtaking, and heartbreaking for how much hope and love and promise there was between the two of them early on.

The way you showed them growing together, and the strengthening of their bond over time, and how that developed into eventual romantic love, was really beautiful to see. I love how their bond really began to solidify in the joined purpose of rescuing Thor in the forests from that giant spider (and this had such an amazing, epic, mythological tone to it), and then to put that joining together in context with what would, eventually, tear them apart, it again being Thor between them, was just brilliantly executed and really highlighted the tragedy of the whole thing. Because once, Loki loved his brother so well that he would risk his life to save him. Once Loki's love for Thor was pure, and it was that shared love for Thor between Loki and Sif which brought them, initially, together.

You also did the most remarkable job of showing how over the years, Loki's own insecurities and fears began to manifest in little ways, to take hold of him in subtle ways, and so by the time we do eventually see him break, with Odin's choosing Thor as his heir over him, it makes complete sense and feels natural. You really brought out beautifully just how MASSIVE a blow to Loki Odin's choosing Thor was. It's one thing to say that was the catalyst for why Loki eventually snapped, but you demonstrated powerfully just WHY it was, and how devastating it was to Loki. He'd convinced himself, or so he thought, that it didn't matter to him, but in the end, it was to Loki only a confirmation of his fears that he would never be truly accepted or make proud Odin.

And the scene following, when he thrashes Sif verbally, was just so brutal and awful, especially it coming right after he'd given her that sword and they'd had such a wonderful moment together. It just threw into starker relief just how horrible and despairing the whole thing was. And again, it made so much sense, that Loki would snap at that very moment, when he'd seemed to be doing so well, because there's Odin's choosing Thor, and then, before that, he'd been contemplating Sif's refusal to acknowledge their union in public, and he sees it again upon emerging from Odin's study, and his mind just twisted it all into this awful feeling of betrayal, even though that wasn't truly there. You really showed with incredible realism how Loki's mind broke the way it did.

And so of course, by the time Thanos got his hands on him, he was already in a very frail mental state, and then, just... the things Thanos did and said to him, man, I can't imagine ANYONE would have been able to endure through that, most especially given Loki's state beforehand. It was brutal, and heartbreaking, and so, SO tragic, to see Loki come utterly undone like that, and to let go and lose hope and faith in any kind of love he once had known. And to see how completely deluded he is too, that in the end, he says it isn't his nature, it's his choice to do what he's doing, when the truth is, Thanos simply unmade wholly what was already coming undone at the seams, it's just so brutally sad.

This was a truly incredibly done story, beautifully written and a brilliant character study. Again, it should have about a million reviews, but I hope I was able to convey to you just how much I appreciate you sharing this with us. I hope you continue to write for these characters in the future, because you can bet I'll be there to read it! Thank you so much again!