Reviews for Friends and Foes
yiota chapter 3 . 1/28/2014
Thank you for the update!

Dudley may have changed some, but there are still some characteristics left over from the eleven-year-old who threw a tantrum because his 36 birthday presents weren't enough! And why do I get the impression that this 'witch' Millie Flynn is known to the Auror Office as Millicent Bullstrode? Is her husband perhaps Marcus Flint?

I'm looking forward to your next update!
keeptheotherone chapter 3 . 1/27/2014
The description of Dudley's house as being 70 years old yet "newer" made me laugh. It's correct, obviously, but I was anticipating something built in the last ten years after that description. We have so few truly old houses left, and I have learned what terraced houses are too (not, as I first assumed, houses with terraces). We would call them townhouses or maybe row houses.

One of the things I love about your stories in general is the different accents and dialects you give your characters. Fascinating :) But I was sold on Daisy after this: "Dudley looked hopefully at Daisy, but she simply folded her arms and returned his gaze. Dudley gave in." Awesome :D

I wondered why Ginny didn't use some sport as a cover story, but of course it would require reading up about it. Loved Harry mentioning statistics because they're boring enough that no one asked additional questions. I think you did a great job with Harry and Dudley's relationship: the uncertainty on both sides, the ability to be pleasant and make small talk that comes with maturity, the way Ginny and Daisy's presence smoothed over awkward spots, Dudley unpleasantly reminding Harry of Vernon in a couple of instances, and especially Harry being more sarcastic than he meant to be about the hand-me-downs and realizing they didn't have much in common.

Looking forward to what's next!
BlackAce2137 chapter 3 . 1/27/2014
Millie Flynn?... 'Spelt W-Y-T-C-H-C-R-A-E-F-T?... Hmmm, I wonder if this little insignificant plot points could be important in Harry's investigation? ;-)
Lokken.8 chapter 3 . 1/27/2014
Dursleys are going to hate Daisy sooo much! Good for Dudley! Nice chapter, thanks!
Guest chapter 3 . 1/27/2014
good ideas
scrappy8 chapter 3 . 1/27/2014
great chapter
ClaireBear1982 chapter 3 . 1/27/2014
Bless them, they tried. At least they're on speaking terms, that's the main thing. Loved this update, another brilliant job, well done as always :) Update soon .
Guest chapter 3 . 1/27/2014
Nice reminder that not everyone in England sounds like Corporal Newkirk.
Lorelei Lynn chapter 2 . 1/25/2014
I don't have read as much fanfic as I used to so it's great to find canon-compliant, plotty stories. Keep up the good work!
FriendofMolly chapter 2 . 1/17/2014
North,
That was stupendous! I have the feeling there is more going on then Dudley leaving the nest. There was a distinct lower level to Vernon's rant. But of course it's evident he still hates Harry. It's probably fear, well masked. Petunia was also a shadow of her former self. Though fainting was a surprise. I expected Harry to enervate her. It's a good thing she started coming around. I know, it's a major no no to perform magic in front of a Muggle, but considering who the Muggles are, and what Harry is, I doubt if anyone is going to complain. What? Would Harry have to arrest himself? Now I'm anxious to see just what Dudders is doing? He actually is willingly going to college? Please come up with the next chapter. It's a very exciting storyline so far.
FoM
keeptheotherone chapter 2 . 1/17/2014
This has nothing to do with anything, but I think you can answer a nagging question for me. It is apparently correct British grammar to capitalize family titles (like aunt and uncle) even when not addressing them directly in dialogue or combined with a Christian name. Is that right?

So, we're at the Dursleys because of Ginny. OMG, you have my eternal gratitude for the proper use of "supine"-I'm a nurse, and I think there are about six different named positions for a reclining human body (in various states of consciousness), but everyone wants to describe someone lying flat as "prone," which, as I'm sure you know, they only are if they're face down.

Sorry, I really can give a proper review, I promise. This is an interesting characterization of Ginny; I think of her as hating the Dursleys because of their treatment of Harry (in line with the shy ten year-old who stood up to Malfoy), but your description of her vastly positive experience with a plethora of relatives making it impossible for her to understand made sense. I really liked that she didn't fly off the handle and tried several different techniques to smooth the visit. Ginny making fun of Harry's fondness about the bike by repeating everything he says about it was a great way to tell us about the bike :)

Harry's reactions were very realistic: the avoidance, the initial victim-playing, the rise of temper, and then his realization that the Dursleys had no power over him anymore. I especially liked his new physical observations: Petunia being small, being the same height as Vernon, noticing his illness/weakness, etc. Harry's reluctance to touch his aunt was perfect and so very telling-I recoiled myself at the idea of him having to pick her up and carry her. Harry's so polite-the introductions, asking about Dudley, giving his address-it's one of the things that broke my heart in the books. Polite boys are hard to find, and here Harry is with lots of reasons to be ugly, especially to these people, but he remains kind.

Good gracious, Petunia is actually considering /not/ throwing Dudley a party just because he wants to invite Harry? The fact that Dudley laughed about his dad's reaction to Harry's visit gives me immense hope for him. And finally, Vernon's reaction to the travel time is some serious denial/close-mindedness: the man had a wizard grow up in his house and spent nine months isolated with two magical people and still can't conceive there might be a different way to travel than train or car.

Brilliant characterization of every single person in this chapter, Northumbrian. I look forward to Harry and Dudley's reunion as well as to seeing how this fits in with finding justice for Colin.
keeptheotherone chapter 1 . 1/17/2014
You have totally captured the world of Privet Drive, and I love how smoothly you gave us the timeline, especially since it's not immediately after H&P, as I would have otherwise assumed. Of course, now I'm dying to know what the Dursleys have to do with anything... Favorite line: "unnecessarily vibrant and blatantly red hair." :D
Anon chapter 2 . 1/16/2014
I think that went well. I think you're right and Vernon is too set in his ways to ever change or see any good in others. I'm really curious about Dudley, will he be different. Hippy? Sounds like Dudley could be a fun guy to know now. I do agree with your assesment of Petunia, she would be torn between loyalty to Vernon and their ideology of normalcy and the longing to have some connection to Lily and her own parents through Harry and their shared ancestry.
I actually like this idea of Dudley distancing himself from his parents. In a family like the Dursley's, it might be the only way to try and survive and have some life that is your own.
Vicki Turner chapter 2 . 1/15/2014
Oh, I'm so sad because I've reach the end of everything you have written up to this point. I've spent the last week reading everything!

But I'm so glad how this story is starting. I do love stories that highlight Harry's childhood. Will Ginny be getting specifics of Harry's past in this story? I imagine Dudley might reveal a few things that Harry probably never intended to tell.

I also look forward to getting to the actual mystery/action of the story with Colin's killer.

Please update soon!
MaeSilverpaws1 chapter 2 . 1/15/2014
Hmmm a very interesting visit to the Dursleys' house. You could ALMOST think that Petunia could be human if Vernon wasn't around.
I can't wait til they meet Dudders... (wouldn't it be "fun" if Dudders girl was magical or maybe had a magical sibling? I know I know your story I'm just pondering)
Mae