Reviews for Friends and Foes
Oriondruid chapter 2 . 1/14/2014
Excellent characterisation as usual, Vernon will always be a hopeless stubborn bigot, and Harry's realisation that he only values 'respectability' and money was was very insightful, he used that fact well to inflict the maximum impact possible on Vernon's predjudices.

There is some good in Petunia and I'm sure that she too, if free of Vernon, would be capable of becoming a better person, much of her hostility is rooted in her guilt at the rift with her sister and perhaps also some shame over her past treatment of Harry.

The 'redemption' of Dudley which started towards the end of Jo's books seems pretty much complete and he seems to have become a human being at last. :o) I'm looking forward to their first post-war meeting.

This story has started well and I'm sure will continue to provide great entertainment.
Many Blessings.
Oriondruid, (John).
BlueWater5 chapter 2 . 1/13/2014
Great chapter!
Slaidback chapter 2 . 1/13/2014
nice! i always look forward to your stories, they are always a joy to read. thank you.
Stephanie O chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
I thought it was very cool that Harry finally got to tell Vernon "off"...and that he won't be bullied by him anymore! Can't wait to see how Dudley has changed for the better! I could actually see them becoming friends, based on their brief phone conversation, and that would be good just so Harry will have a positive opinion of at least one member of his family. Oh yeah, and I can't wait to find out what Dudley told his dad that made him so quiet all of a sudden!
ClaireBear1982 chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
I actually really like this, it's nice to see Dudley has changed! I really hope him and Harry can become fast friends.
Susan M. M chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
My father was friends with a man who was elephant keeper at the local zoo, and had worked at a circus before that. He said the trick to handling elephants safely was to convince them when they were young that you were a bigger, tougher elephant, and when they were grown, they would still believe that. Up until now, Harry has still believed Petunia and Vernon are bigger, tougher elephants. Now, with Ginny's help, he's seen the truth.

As always, good dialogue, good description.
Lokken.8 chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
Well, I am not yet sure where exactly you are going with this tale, but your writing is as eloquent and enjoyable as usual. So I look forward to future chapters and thank you for this one!
einfach so chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
I really like this chapter-the reactions of the neighbors in chapter one were hilarious and I loved the Dursleys reaction, too. Im looking forward to see what happens when Harry meets Dudley again.
Andy33 chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
First rate. Characterisation of Petunia and Vernon is spot on and I love the way that Ginny helps Harry overcome his childhood fear of Vernon and take control of the situation.
yiota chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
Thank you for the update! I think you have Vernon spot on, though in my opinion it was quite a regression for Harry to fear Vernon. Since Harry found out about Sirius, the fear in that relationship was the other way around. The thought that Harry was mistreated as a child didn't even occur to him!

It was quite a reaction from Petunia, though! It seems she's missed Harry and does want contact with him. To be honest I wasn't expecting it.

I'm really looking forward to the encounter with Dudley!
Noonie chapter 2 . 1/11/2014
Ah a new story! i'm looking forward to the next chapter - sounds like Dudle is a changed man. I'm glad that most fanfics make him out to be a kid who a victim of petunia and Vernon in a different way from Harry, but someone who might have redeeming qualities given the right influences.

i love how Ginny compliments and supports Harry sometimes subtly and sometimes blatantly, just who he needs!
isi7140 chapter 2 . 1/11/2014
SO nice to see Harry being all confident to the Dursleys, and I'm looking forward to seeing his visit with Dudley!
JetLaBarge chapter 2 . 1/11/2014
To Northumbrian,

Well, I was wrong. Harry and Ginny are not announcing their engagement.

I can really understand Ginny having no comprehension of how bad the Dursley family was to Harry.

I think you have Vernon and Petunia right, too. There is really no redeeming feature to Vernon. I picture him the same way you do, and a middle aged man who is always angry and who is a prime candidate for a heart attack and early death. Loved the way Harry put Vernon down. Petunia is more nuanced, though. You get the feeling that she could at least sort of accept Harry if not for Vernon.

I can’t imagine them making love, although if Vernon wanted it I can imagine something like spousal rape.

Dudley was starting to change in the books. I find it interesting, in the modest amount of fan fiction I have read, how others handle Dudley. I know I would like him to be redeemed. He suffered under Vernon too. It was a different kind of abuse, but it was abuse.

Love the motorcycle. An old Triumph really is a British classic. It was fun having a girl on the back on one! Real inconspicuous, riding a noisy very old but meticulously rebuilt motorcycle. Reminds me of the scene in Strangers, when Harry made his first entrance at James school.

JetLaBarge
GinLoran chapter 2 . 1/11/2014
Wonderful! I can't wait to see the meeting with Dudley. A fun read as always!
GinLoran chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
I loved this! Great job once again N :-). The sense of Privet drive and its residents is just wonderful, and I especially love the perception of Ginny's "unnecessarily vibrant and blatantly red hair." You did actually make me laugh out loud! Cannot wait to see where this is going. Kudos once again!
381 | « Prev Page 1 .. 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 .. Last Next »