Reviews for Friends and Foes
keeptheotherone chapter 2 . 1/17/2014
This has nothing to do with anything, but I think you can answer a nagging question for me. It is apparently correct British grammar to capitalize family titles (like aunt and uncle) even when not addressing them directly in dialogue or combined with a Christian name. Is that right?

So, we're at the Dursleys because of Ginny. OMG, you have my eternal gratitude for the proper use of "supine"-I'm a nurse, and I think there are about six different named positions for a reclining human body (in various states of consciousness), but everyone wants to describe someone lying flat as "prone," which, as I'm sure you know, they only are if they're face down.

Sorry, I really can give a proper review, I promise. This is an interesting characterization of Ginny; I think of her as hating the Dursleys because of their treatment of Harry (in line with the shy ten year-old who stood up to Malfoy), but your description of her vastly positive experience with a plethora of relatives making it impossible for her to understand made sense. I really liked that she didn't fly off the handle and tried several different techniques to smooth the visit. Ginny making fun of Harry's fondness about the bike by repeating everything he says about it was a great way to tell us about the bike :)

Harry's reactions were very realistic: the avoidance, the initial victim-playing, the rise of temper, and then his realization that the Dursleys had no power over him anymore. I especially liked his new physical observations: Petunia being small, being the same height as Vernon, noticing his illness/weakness, etc. Harry's reluctance to touch his aunt was perfect and so very telling-I recoiled myself at the idea of him having to pick her up and carry her. Harry's so polite-the introductions, asking about Dudley, giving his address-it's one of the things that broke my heart in the books. Polite boys are hard to find, and here Harry is with lots of reasons to be ugly, especially to these people, but he remains kind.

Good gracious, Petunia is actually considering /not/ throwing Dudley a party just because he wants to invite Harry? The fact that Dudley laughed about his dad's reaction to Harry's visit gives me immense hope for him. And finally, Vernon's reaction to the travel time is some serious denial/close-mindedness: the man had a wizard grow up in his house and spent nine months isolated with two magical people and still can't conceive there might be a different way to travel than train or car.

Brilliant characterization of every single person in this chapter, Northumbrian. I look forward to Harry and Dudley's reunion as well as to seeing how this fits in with finding justice for Colin.
keeptheotherone chapter 1 . 1/17/2014
You have totally captured the world of Privet Drive, and I love how smoothly you gave us the timeline, especially since it's not immediately after H&P, as I would have otherwise assumed. Of course, now I'm dying to know what the Dursleys have to do with anything... Favorite line: "unnecessarily vibrant and blatantly red hair." :D
Anon chapter 2 . 1/16/2014
I think that went well. I think you're right and Vernon is too set in his ways to ever change or see any good in others. I'm really curious about Dudley, will he be different. Hippy? Sounds like Dudley could be a fun guy to know now. I do agree with your assesment of Petunia, she would be torn between loyalty to Vernon and their ideology of normalcy and the longing to have some connection to Lily and her own parents through Harry and their shared ancestry.
I actually like this idea of Dudley distancing himself from his parents. In a family like the Dursley's, it might be the only way to try and survive and have some life that is your own.
Vicki Turner chapter 2 . 1/15/2014
Oh, I'm so sad because I've reach the end of everything you have written up to this point. I've spent the last week reading everything!

But I'm so glad how this story is starting. I do love stories that highlight Harry's childhood. Will Ginny be getting specifics of Harry's past in this story? I imagine Dudley might reveal a few things that Harry probably never intended to tell.

I also look forward to getting to the actual mystery/action of the story with Colin's killer.

Please update soon!
MaeSilverpaws1 chapter 2 . 1/15/2014
Hmmm a very interesting visit to the Dursleys' house. You could ALMOST think that Petunia could be human if Vernon wasn't around.
I can't wait til they meet Dudders... (wouldn't it be "fun" if Dudders girl was magical or maybe had a magical sibling? I know I know your story I'm just pondering)
Mae
lovemya2000 chapter 2 . 1/14/2014
:-)
Oriondruid chapter 2 . 1/14/2014
Excellent characterisation as usual, Vernon will always be a hopeless stubborn bigot, and Harry's realisation that he only values 'respectability' and money was was very insightful, he used that fact well to inflict the maximum impact possible on Vernon's predjudices.

There is some good in Petunia and I'm sure that she too, if free of Vernon, would be capable of becoming a better person, much of her hostility is rooted in her guilt at the rift with her sister and perhaps also some shame over her past treatment of Harry.

The 'redemption' of Dudley which started towards the end of Jo's books seems pretty much complete and he seems to have become a human being at last. :o) I'm looking forward to their first post-war meeting.

This story has started well and I'm sure will continue to provide great entertainment.
Many Blessings.
Oriondruid, (John).
BlueWater5 chapter 2 . 1/13/2014
Great chapter!
Slaidback chapter 2 . 1/13/2014
nice! i always look forward to your stories, they are always a joy to read. thank you.
Stephanie O chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
I thought it was very cool that Harry finally got to tell Vernon "off"...and that he won't be bullied by him anymore! Can't wait to see how Dudley has changed for the better! I could actually see them becoming friends, based on their brief phone conversation, and that would be good just so Harry will have a positive opinion of at least one member of his family. Oh yeah, and I can't wait to find out what Dudley told his dad that made him so quiet all of a sudden!
ClaireBear1982 chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
I actually really like this, it's nice to see Dudley has changed! I really hope him and Harry can become fast friends.
Susan M. M chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
My father was friends with a man who was elephant keeper at the local zoo, and had worked at a circus before that. He said the trick to handling elephants safely was to convince them when they were young that you were a bigger, tougher elephant, and when they were grown, they would still believe that. Up until now, Harry has still believed Petunia and Vernon are bigger, tougher elephants. Now, with Ginny's help, he's seen the truth.

As always, good dialogue, good description.
Lokken.8 chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
Well, I am not yet sure where exactly you are going with this tale, but your writing is as eloquent and enjoyable as usual. So I look forward to future chapters and thank you for this one!
einfach so chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
I really like this chapter-the reactions of the neighbors in chapter one were hilarious and I loved the Dursleys reaction, too. Im looking forward to see what happens when Harry meets Dudley again.
Andy33 chapter 2 . 1/12/2014
First rate. Characterisation of Petunia and Vernon is spot on and I love the way that Ginny helps Harry overcome his childhood fear of Vernon and take control of the situation.
387 | « Prev Page 1 .. 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 .. Last Next »