Reviews for A Different Kind of Truth
RandomGuyonthestreet13 chapter 6 . 7/31/2018
Something about the voices in the liquor store. I usually imagined it as what shadow Saki had said to the real Saki.
Where was only nice to him since he was the manager's son, and he took it the wrong way, but Saki had actually developed feelings for Yusuke, so when she was confronted, she couldn't help but deny the shadow, which lead to her death.
Count chaos chapter 1 . 7/26/2018
Anyway, as for your latest chapter. Oh my god... It is AWESOME! You truly are back in full swing with this latest chapter that starts the videogame arc, aka, fish face butt monkey's Shadow realm. I love how you gave Rise plenty of screen time and action, since she can actually fight, just not as good as the rest of her friends. Still, it was nice to see... up till her arm got torn off. That was completely gruesome. I originally thought she lost a chunk of flesh, but her arm?! That's much worse. But thankfully, best adorable Bear comes to save the day and gives her a new arm with his persona. Which is good that he remembered that he's also a healer along with Yukiko. Also, nice touch with consistent character development with Gyro and Johnny, the former reaching his own "True Man's World" philospy on his own, while Johnny is still currently having confidence issues and worrying for his friends. Very nicely done, my friend. Very nicely done indeed! Anyway, I can't wait for the next chapter! I look forward to see what kind of social links you have in store for us before heading back into the RPG dungeon! :D
the Zogg chapter 50 . 7/23/2018
Finally got around to reading this.

Teddie's the White Mage! That pretty much makes him the MVP of the team now which is the exact opposite of useless in a crossover between JoJo's gorn and a RPGs endless hordes of monsters.

For the fight I will admit to having trouble following it, but I did feel a real sense of tension and escalating stakes because Rise losing her arm wasn't just for the sake of blood and gore but to show that Mitsuo's distorted desires have upped the stakes and this is a special case.

I also liked that the fight had a sense of movement and emotion to it and it had a narrative of Rise adapting to the battlefield. Reading Rise's POV during the fight reminded me how pretty much every Persona fights in fanfics feel like the two sides are just standing in one spot firing spells at each other while the villain just lets himself get hit.
CLZ chapter 50 . 7/22/2018
I have a sinking feeling Johnny is going to try and get Teddie to give him a pair of new legs with that power and it'll bite him in the ass in more ways than one.
reven228 chapter 50 . 7/22/2018
And with that, you've solved the maiming problem. Araki initially created characters that could heal so that he could create greater and more violent fights. With Teddy, you can cut, you can maim, and you can bring them somehow even closer to death without worry. I am so excited for the rest of this du geon, and I can't wait to see how it'll end. Especially with Johnny torn between wanting the case solved and having more time to walk. All and all, great chapter, keep goin and stay golden
Mugiwara N0 Luffy chapter 50 . 7/21/2018
Hoo boy, talk about an intense chapter! Things really got out of hand there for a bit with poor Rise. It was cool to see her pull through in the end and make it out... well, alive at least. Can't really say unscathed though, lol.

And as it turns out, Teddie now has the power of Gold Experience! Who would have guessed on that one? XD Though I'm guessing this is more related to his ability to materialize something he puts enough thought into, which is quite terrifying if you think about it, though I guess even that's quite similar to Gold Experience in a sense as well.

No surprise that they would stop at this point. Rise was put through the wringer, that's for sure. No need to rush it like last time since, obviously, it's not to save someone. It's to catch a killer... even if it's not the killer everyone is thinking of. As I've said before , this is where I stopped in the story, so everything from here on aside from what's been spoiled is completely new to me. I look forward to finding out through this story :)

Keep up the good work and take care! I'm really looking forward to more!
Gundam Kaiser chapter 50 . 7/21/2018
Shine on, you Crazy Diam- erm, Mellow Gold.

Anyway, it was really nice to see Rise get a chance to strut her stuff solo.
Elijew chapter 50 . 7/21/2018
Believe me man, I am very interested in seeing more of this. I mean, I’ve only found this fic a month or two ago but I was hooked. If reviewing gives you that slightest bit more motivation, then I’ll do it. Keep up the good work.
DocHoliday0316 chapter 49 . 7/13/2018
Great chapter, dude! I admit that I really didn't care much for the Marie stuff in previous chapters, but this one really made me feel for her. But hey, at least she now has a clue to her past.

And I'm interested in that Rise got herself a bat as a weapon. Hopefully, it'll serve her better than it initially did Chie and Yosuke.

I also love the bit at the Junes cosmetic department, especially Yosuke getting flustered about Johnny wearing lipstick. I am also not surprised by the fact that Mitsuo was a really shitty employee who didn't follow the golden rule of any business. Even I follow that, no matter how bad the job I work.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Mitsuo's dungeon, especially with the old school video game references that's bound to be inside. I would say more, but I have to go to work now. I look forward to the next chapter.
DocHoliday0316 chapter 48 . 7/11/2018
Good chapter, dude. Really loved Johnny's shocked reaction to Chie liking horse meat, especially when Chie started to go on about recipes for horse meat.

And I really loved he second scene with Yosuke, especially both of them telling off the two employees, and Yosuke letting all out about how he still misses Saki and that her death is still affecting him. Poor dude.

And classes are over for the IT gang, and I'm surprised Johnny managed to make it into the Top 10 rankings. And I really loved everyone discussing going to the beach, I just find it sad that Johnny has never been to the beach.

And once again, the scene with Mitsuo and his Midnight Channel scene were really creepy. Kudos.

And I look forward to Mitsuo's dungeon.
DocHoliday0316 chapter 47 . 7/10/2018
Awesome chapter, dude. I loved Teddie looking Gyro's place, where it looks like he'll be eating all of Gyro's junk food. But his happiness and curiosity does bring a smile to my face.

And now we get to meet Noriko Kashiwagi. I have to admit, you really did capture how desperate and pathetic she is with her whole "Hot for Teacher" schtick. Actually, I take that song reference back, because using it in conjunction with Kashiwagi just brings down the good name of Van Halen. Johnny's reactions to her were hilarious, especially with him saying that somebody should call the cops.

But the real meat of this chapter is Gyro's speech to Naoto about why he doesn't like her. Glad he finally got that off his chest, and while he does bring up some good points, I agree with the rest of the gang that he went a bit far. Hell, him saying that he couldn't put a finger on why he hated Naoto reminds me of why I initially figure out why that admin I told you about pissed me off so much.

Anyway, looking forward to what happens next.
DocHoliday0316 chapter 46 . 7/10/2018
Really good chapter, dude. I actually liked the opening part of Dojima and Adachi discovering King Moron's body. Kinda reminds of Zenigata and Daisuke's scenes in Just an Unorthodox Thief.

I think the highlight of this chapter is the whole part at Junes, with Teddie revealing his new body (including Johnny and Gyro's reactions being them going "what the fuck" in their native languages"). I also laughed at all the guys in the IT cringing at Teddie mentioning that he got rid of his body's penis. I admit that it makes him a nice contrast to good ol' Four Balls (my name for Jo2suke/Gappy). And I like how Gyro is letting Teddie stay at his place. I feel for him, since I know that living at your very own place can be pretty lonely (currently live in a three bedroom apartment, and the place feels pretty empty).

And now Rise is officially joined the IT team. Looking forward to seeing how Johnny and Rise's social link will go.

And I commend you for once again, making an incredibly creepy last scene, showing how further detached from reality Mitsuo is. And I got seriously squicked out by the implication that Mitsuo is going to jerk off to pictures of Rise and Yukiko.

Anyway, onto the next chapter.
DocHoliday0316 chapter 45 . 7/9/2018
First off, I immediately take back everything bad that I have ever said about you, dude. I now want to give you a hug, and probably send you a fruit basket. You wanna know why? It's because you made an Iron Maiden reference in the chapter title, which ranks up as one of my favorite bands. You are now immediately awesome in my book. I just incredibly shocked that Hirohiko Araki has never named a character or Stand after an Iron Maiden, or one of its songs or albums. 'Tis a shame. But I am getting incredibly off track.

Anyway, I loved Johnny's interactions with Marie, namely with them talking about the first Dark Tower book. I agree with Marie that it was shocking that Roland left Jake to die so he could pursue the Man in Black, but it was heavily foreshadowed to the flashback to Roland's gunslinger trial where he sacrificed David the hawk to defeat Cort. It showed that Roland is willing sacrifice his allies if it means accomplishing his goals (such as stopping the Man in Black from reaching the tower). But hey, Jake at least came back to life in The Wastelands. And honestly want to live in this world now, because they have a Dark Tower movie that isn't a jarringly rushed mess that cherrypicks plot points and elements from the books. I at least give Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey credit trying to do the best with the crap material they were given. And I'm of the opinion that the Dark Tower would work out better as a TV Series.

I also really loved the scene with Johnny and Yukiko, where he gives her the blunt-as-hell yet well needed cooking critique. At least she's improving, since the bento box actually looks like food instead of toxic sludge. And I also love Johnny roasting the fuck out of Rito Kukichi the Reality TV producer (aka a bottom feeder of the entertainment industry).

Now onto the heavy stuff of the chapter, with Johnny and Nanko discussing why people die. I actually admire Johnny deciding to tell her that people who die go to Heaven, instead of just saying that there's nothing after death. The thought that there's nothing after death is frankly a scary and depressing one, and it would be absolutely devastating to a six year old.

I also "d'awwed" at the first part of Nanako shopping at Junes, up until she encountered that creepy piece of shit Mitsuo. And I admit that I found it incredibly cathartic and satisfying to see Johnny come to her rescue and give Mitsuo the beatdown he deserves. That last part may sound drastic, but he made Nanako scared and was going to hit her for incredibly petty reasons.

And the last part of the chapter was pretty creepy. I kind of like how you fleshed out Morooka Kinshiro to make him a bit more human. I wouldn't say that he is a good person, but hell, the dude didn't deserve to die. And I actually found him to be a bit relatable, where he remembered how he was scared to death from watching Halloween as a kid (sort of like how I originally watching Alien when I was 12 or so and terrified to the point that I would refuse to shower in a fluorescent light, in fear that the alien might come and grab me).

Anyway, looking forward to see how everyone reacts to King Moron's death.
DocHoliday0316 chapter 44 . 7/8/2018
Great chapter, dude. I liked how Johnny playing hooky had consequences, and now Dojima is doubling down on his grades. Makes me appreciate how my parents are pretty lenient with my grades (with me simply passing them).

And I actually feeling bad about Kakyoin, with the reveal that he has a drinking problem from the expectations that his parents place on him. Looking forward to how this gets resolved. I also loved Yosuke and Johnny hanging out. Glad to see that Johnny and I see a similar mindset on posters (I usually go down to Michael's to get them framed).

And I REALLY love the last scene with (who I presume is) Mitsuo. It just shows how creepy and detached from reality he is, and how he sees everything like an RPG. I'd figure he wouldn't like FPS games, although it comes off as he's being very narrow minded about them, since he's describing "spunkgargleweewee" (look it up if you're unfamiliar with the term).

Anyway, looking forward to the next chapter.
DocHoliday0316 chapter 43 . 7/8/2018
Great chapter, dude. I really love the first half of the chapter, with Johnny and Nanako bonding with each other. And the way that Nanako likes western music because of the beat and rhythm reminds me of why I like J-Rock and J-Pop, despite not knowing a lick of Japanese myself.

I also liked the trip to Okina, and I'm glad that Gyro, Johnny, and Yukio were able to clear up the air between them. I also really loved the showdown between Gyro and those three wannabe gangbangers. I got the vibe of a showdown in the Wild West, but it also reminds me of how Joseph was introduced in Battle Tendency, with him saving Smokey from two corrupt cops.

And I'm surprised that Axl Ro is here as one of Johnny's new social links. I'm guessing his background as a soldier is still retained, just transplanted to the Middle East, where he probably lost his whole unit. Looking forward to seeing how his character arc goes.

Anyway, looking forward to how the next chapter goes.
733 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »