Just a quick author's note to thank all of the readers, followers, and reviewers that have been so wonderfully supportive of this story! You are the absolute best, and have made my wizened little author's heart happy!
As a thank you, here's a little treat. :)
Apple Rose Tarts
2 red apples
Bowl of tap water
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon apple jam, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 sheet of puff pastry
Plain flour for rolling
Oil for spraying or butter for brushing
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Icing or confectioners sugar and lemon juice for glazing
1. Preheat oven to 190 deg. C/ 375 deg. F. Thaw the puff pastry in the fridge (if it's a warm day) or on the counter (if it's a cold day). Mix the juice of the 1/2 lemon and the tap water. Cut the apples in half and core them, making sure to leave the skin on. Using a mandolin on setting 2, slice the apples. Cut the apple slices in half and place them in the bowl of lemon water.
2. Microwave the apples until you can bend them but they aren't mushy or too soft. Start with three minutes and slowly go up to 5.5 minutes to get them the point that you can bend them (without breaking them). Drain the apples and run cold water over them so that they aren't too hot.
3. Spray a regular-sized muffin or cupcake tin with oil or brush with butter (do it generously so that it doesn't stick). Flour a clean surface and roll out the puff pastry lengthwise so that it keeps the same width but is long. It should measure about 30 cms or 12 inches in length. Cut into 6 long pieces, 5 cms or 2 inches in height. Spread with the jam. (Make your own jam if you like - Hermione would!)
4. Line up the apple slices half up the piece of pastry so that they slightly overlap each other. Fold over the pastry so that the bottom half of the apples slices are covered. Then start rolling it up from one side to form a flower. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the pastry in the centre is cooked.
5. Once the tarts have cooled, mix confectioners sugar and lemon juice to preferred consistency. Glaze the tarts, perform a warming charm on them, and serve with ice cream. Hermione recommends vanilla!