Hello everyone, yes this is a new story, and no you're not seeing things ... this one is all on my own. I only have 7 chapters pre-written, so I will be posting once a week, for now.

All things Twilight related belong to Ms. Meyer, and no copyright infringement is intended.

This amazing banner for this story was made by Caiteexx Graphics, and I saw it and adopted it. It has taken me a while to really get the story working out in my mind, but here is so, and I hope you all enjoy it.

Huge thanks go out to: EdwardsFirstKiss, AWayWithWords, and LaPumkle, who all help keep me readable.

And for my wonderful writing partner, Nicola Pitt, who always supports me in all I do in the Fandom FanFiction world.

Chapter 1 – Time to move on

A Brand New Change

I've packed all my things and rented an SUV. It's hard to believe that I'm leaving behind the only place I've ever lived. My father is gone, now. He's off to reside in the afterlife with my mother, where his heart went years ago. I'm still here in this podunk town.

My father was the police chief for many years. He was injured in a freak accident while on a traffic stop. He was never right again after the accident, but he managed to live until I turned eighteen and had graduated high school. I graduated six months early and three weeks later, I was an orphan.

I was lucky to have sold the house within three weeks of putting it on the market. One of Dad's deputies, Mark, is buying the house. I guess this house was always meant to have someone in Fork's law enforcement residing here. My parents built this house, so an officer of the law had always lived here. Between the very large settlement from dad's accident, his life insurance, retirement benefits and the sale of the house, I'm set financially for a long time.

The only friend I have left in this town, doesn't understand how I can sell my heritage. I guess being a member of the Quileute Indian Tribe has instilled the need in him to preserve his heritage. All this house reminds me of is the sadness my father and I felt after my mother died, five years ago. Embry Call is one of the people I will miss, but I have to leave.

When I decided to leave Forks, I did something totally out of character. I opened a map of the United States and pinned it to the wall in my room. I took a dart, closed my eyes and spun around three times. When I stopped, I raised my arm, and threw the dart. When I opened my eyes and walked to the map, the dart was stuck on San Francisco, California. So that's where I chose to go.

Soon after the dart throw, I contacted and applied as a late entry to a few of the colleges there. I was lucky enough to be accepted into the University of San Francisco. I chose to not live in the dorms, so I searched and found a nice apartment. I was very lucky because according to off-campus housing it can take months to find a place.

I'm renting a small, two-bedroom apartment that is in a remodeled Victorian house. There are seven other apartments in the house, and the neighborhood is laid back and casual. Most of the other tenants are the artsy type, but I'm sure I'll fit in well. If I get lonely, I can always get a roommate. For now, I just plan to move on and get an education.

Thankfully, the place is furnished, so I only have to take what I need. I'm taking some personal items that I don't trust to go to storage, but most of the household furniture is being stored. I paid for a year of storage, and Ms. Sue, Embry's aunt, has promised to watch over it for me.

I walk through the house where I was raised one last time. As I check over each room, I feel a sense of peace. I check the windows and turn off all the lights. Seeing the house bare is strange, but I know moving is the right decision. I know that my parents would approve because all they ever wanted was for me to be happy.

I lock up the house and push the key through the mail slot. Only five weeks before my first college class starts, and I intend to make the most of the drive to my new home. It's hard to believe everything I am taking only fills the trunk and back seat of the Dodge Durango I rented. I stop by the Fork's Police station and say goodbye to both Mrs. Cope and Mark.

I let Mark know that I put the keys through the mail slot, and he hugs me goodbye. Of course, Mrs. Cope has tears in her eyes as I say my goodbyes to her, too. She was always making dinners for dad and I after Mom died. I promise to write and call, and send post cards from my stops along the way. Like always, she pats my back and gives me her grandmotherly smile. I guess there are a few people I'll miss from Forks, but not enough to stay. With a wave and calls of "drive safe," I pull away from my old life in Forks, Washington.

The drive to my new home is just over sixteen hours, but I'm stopping by many places along the way. Tonight, I've decided to spend the night in Seattle, so the first leg of the trip is only going to be a few short hours. As I take the ferry across the Sound, I get out and take in the scenery. I pull in a deep breath of the salty air and sit on the bench on the observation deck. The scenery in Washington is very beautiful, but it's all I've ever known. I'm now an adult, and I'm ready to spread my wings and fly.

After the ferry ride, I drive the rest of the way into Seattle. I have reservations at a Holiday Inn, off the Interstate. In the morning, I am going to do touristy things. I plan to go to the Aquarium, Pike's Place Market and the Space Needle. I have dinner reservations at Sky City at half-past seven tomorrow night. Then I'll spend one more night in Seattle and leave for Portland the following morning.

I park in the secure lot parking for the hotel, and take my suitcase with me to check in. After entering the room, I put my suitcase on the rack and sit down. I pick up the take-out directory to look for some place to order food.

Deciding to try something new—which isn't hard for me—I pick up the menu for Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon. I like spicy food, so I decide to order something called Mongolian Beef; it sounds interesting. I order two spring rolls, and one each Rhubarb and Cucumber Dry Soda. I give them my name and room number. They tell me it is sixteen dollars and will arrive in forty minutes.

I make quick work of taking a shower, and put on some yoga pants and a t-shirt. I pull out a twenty and set it on the desk. I flip on the TV and turn it to a music station. I never really watch many shows, but I've always loved all kinds of music. I pull out my laptop and start looking for things to do in Portland.

A knock on the door makes me jump, and I giggle at myself. I grab the twenty and look out the peephole. I see the delivery worker standing there, and I open the door.

"Hi … delivery for Swan."

"Yes, that's me; here, keep the change," I say handing him the twenty.

"Thank you very much," he says and hands me the sack of food.

"Thank you," I say before closing the door and latching the security chain.

The food smells amazing, and since I'm trying new things, I try to use the chopsticks. Yeah, that doesn't work so well, but the food is delicious. The red sauce that came with the spring rolls is warm and so yummy. I love the sweet but smooth taste as it blends with the vegetables in the roll. The Mongolian Beef is really good, too, but there is so much of it. The little, light and crispy white noodles are so tasty. The sauce has a hint of spiciness to it; but it is really quite good.

After I finish working out my plans for my stay in Portland, I clean up all my mess. I have a busy day tomorrow, so I turn in for the night. The only thing that sucks about this whole trip and new adventure in life is that I still feel lonely. Feeling lonely and being alone is something I should be accustomed to, but it still sucks.

A/N: This is a slow burn, and will post once a week for now. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for reading and reviewing. Kasi~