On this day, 60 years ago, the Allied forces invaded Europe in an effort to free the continent from Axis control. In commemoration to the soldiers who gave their lives to make this operation a success, I am going back through the chapters and making necessary changes.

I don't own the Medal of Honor series. It's property of Steven Spielberg and Electronic Arts.

Medal of Honor: Frontline

Part 1: D-Day
Chapter 1: Your Finest Hour

And when he gets to Heaven,
To Saint Peter he will tell,
"One more soldier reporting, sir,
I've served my time in Hell."


June 6, 1944

The morning dawned dark, wet, and cold. The fog was so thick you could barely see three feet in front of you. The drizzle didn't make it any better. They called today the day that would turn the tide of the war. To me, it was a way of killing off thousands of soldiers just to secure a stretch of beach. At least, I thought that after my horrific ordeal.

My name is James Patterson; Jimmy, for short. Like many Americans, I enlisted into the armed forces after the attack on Pearl Harbor. I had been involved in many operations, from flying transport planes to boarding and sabotaging a Nazi submarine, but other than that I didn't get to experience much action. After hearing I was to go into combat, I got excited. One cannot blame a new soldier for being naïve. I was to take part in the new plan created by General Dwight D. Eisenhower.

The invasion was called Operation Overlord. The plan was to transport thousands of troops across the English Channel and land them on a stretch of beach in Normandy, France – Axis territory. On the cruiser I was on the night before, I heard Eisenhower give an inspiring speech about our Great Crusade. That simply raised my excitement even more. The landing was supposed to take place June 7, but the Allied forces miscalculated the tides. Had it been done on the seventh, we'd be landing in low tide. Because it'd be high tide on the morning of June 6, it was decided to deploy at that time. The night before, paratroopers were dropped into the region to try and "soften up" the Nazis before the real invasion.

The battleships and destroyers were firing off volleys to the shore as the landing crafts made their way across the shallow waters. A pair of American fighter planes flew overhead and disappeared into the fog. For the first time since my departure from America, I was nervous and tense. So were the other troops in the transport I was in. One was throwing up due to motion sickness; one was doing the sign of the cross; another was gripping his M1 Garand as if it were a security blanket. One couldn't blame us for being scared about risking our lives for a cause.

As our crafts got closer to the shore, explosions from German caliber shells tore up the water, mist spraying all over us. Suddenly the pilot shouted "Bandit, 9 'o' clock! Heads down!" We ducked as a German fighter strafed the water, destroying the landing craft to the left of ours. The burning hulk collided with our craft before it sank beneath the waves. A few seconds later, the pilot gave us the countdown to drop. "Thirty seconds!"
Our commander turned to us from the front of the craft. "Alright, listen up!" He shouted over the noise. "When the ramp drops, move out. If you get lost, look for me!" For the first time, we could see a line of German bunkers dotted on the shoreline. There was a large mound between two of them with a pair of metal tubes sticking out of it, probably machine gun nests.

The intensity rose even more as more shells hit the water and we got the final count, "Ten seconds!"
"Stay with me and we'll get through this," assured our commander. "We've got to take that beach!"
"Clear the raft!" The ramp dropped, but as we were moving out, an explosion sent us sailing. I landed in the frigid water dazed, but then I realized what was going on. Other soldiers who were in the same craft as me were trying their best to avoid being shot. I could hear bullets whipping past us, and many hit their mark. The water soon turned red. It took only a few seconds for me to feel sand underneath my feet. I tried moving as fast as possible to resurface. As I went, I saw many more soldiers gunned down.

I gasped for air as soon as I resurfaced. What I saw was utter chaos. The MG-42s in the bunkers were blazing like no tomorrow, and most of the gunfire was connecting. I tried desperately to find anyone from my unit, but I saw no one. For the first time, I was scared to death.
"Patterson! Over here! Get over here!" I turned to see my commander taking cover behind a wrecked transport. I trudged through the water as fast as I could and hid behind the wreck. "We've got a hell of a mess here! That artillery strike scattered what's left of our squad all over the beach! Four of our men are over there! Help them get down the-" He was cut off by a caliber explosion near us. It sent a pair of soldiers, or parts of them, flying. "Damn it! I'll give you some cover fire! Now move out!"

He didn't have to tell me twice. M1 Garand in hand, I rushed across the beach, avoiding MG-42 fire all the while. I tried looking for the rest of the squad, but there was too much action going on, with soldiers being killed and wounded. I noticed a medic performing surgery on a soldier who had lost an arm and a lot of blood. I tried giving them cover fire, but the medic received a shot in the head. I cursed to myself when I heard a familiar cry. "Hey! Over here!" I turned to see one of my comrades hiding behind one of the many barriers placed by the Nazis. "Give me some cover and I'll get the hell out of here!" He yelled. As he made his way to the barbed wire fence down the line, I fired on the bunker closest to us. The clip sprang out of the rifle, so I quickly reloaded it.

One down, three to go, I thought to myself as I spotted the next soldier. He was easy to find because he had set off a flare. He seemed pretty desperate, yelling, "Give me covering fire!" He was holding his bleeding left calf – he had apparently been shot there. Luckily, he was able to move on his own power. I fired a few rounds at the bunker and covered the soldier as he got to the incline. I noticed that the third to be rescued had very little cover. "I'm pinned down by fire from that bunker," he called. "Give me some cover and watch yourself! Ready when you are!" I fired the M1 Garand until the clip shot out. He, too, made his way to the fence safely.

With only one more soldier to rescue, I felt pretty confident. I found the last soldier hiding behind one of the barriers, which had plenty of cover.
"Are you alright?" I asked him.
He didn't reply. He was shaking from head to toe, too afraid to make a move.
"Come on, damn it! We have to move! We need to get down the line and provide support!"
There was still no reply. A few seconds later he spoke in a frightened voice, "I...I'm scared! I don't want to die! I don't want to die!"
I grabbed his shoulders and shook him. "You're not going to die, but you have to come with me! The faster we complete this mission the sooner you can get home!"

It took a little more persuasion, but the soldier finally agreed. After firing a few shots at the nearest bunker, we made our way to the fence. Suddenly, I heard a familiar sound – a fighter plane. "DUCK!" I yelled. I pushed the soldier to the ground and covered him as a German fighter plane strafed the shoreline, killing off those soldiers unlucky enough to be in the way. When it had disappeared into the fog again, we ran to the incline and covered our heads. A few seconds later, the plane made another run, but luckily it got no one.

"Iverson! Retrieve those Bangalores!" I heard the commander yell. I noticed a soldier making his way from the group, but he was quickly gunned down. "Damn it! We've got to get the wire cleared! Patterson, you're up! Get over here!" I gingerly made my way to where he was, and then he started speaking again. "Private Jones has enough Bangalores to clear a hole in the wire, but he's pinned down by that Belgian gate down the line! Help him back to our position! We'll give you cover fire, but wait for my order! COVERING FIRE!" As if on cue, all the soldiers, including the one I saved earlier, fired on the bunkers. "GO, GO, GO!"

I ran to the other section of the beach as fast as my legs could carry me. I saw the wooden barricade up ahead, and there was a signal flare lit. I ducked behind the gate and saw Private Jones holding a pair of Bangalores – long metal tubes that held explosives. As I shouted to him, I noticed a Thompson light machine gun leaning on the gate. Thinking it to be useful, I slung my M1 Garand on my shoulder and picked up the Thompson, checking its ammo. "Patterson," said Jones. "I won't be able to make it back with these Bangalores unless you give me cover! Stay with me and keep shooting! Ready?" I replied, firing the Thompson at the nearest bunker. Jones got up and started running back to where the rest of the squad was. "Stay with me, Patterson! And watch the fire from those bunkers!"

We ran back as safely as possible, Jones ducking once in a while, and me firing the Thompson. Once we reached the squad, I hit the dirt again, reloading the machine gun.
"Good work, Patterson! Alright, Jones, let's blow this fence!" Jones slid the Bangalores underneath an area of the fence and lit their fuses. "FIRE IN THE HOLE!"
"FIRE IN THE HOLE!" Jones shouted, jumping clear. We covered our ears, waiting for the blast. Seconds later, there was a massive explosion, blowing out a section of the fence.
"We've got clearance," the commander shouted. "There's safety on the other side! Everybody over the seawall!"

We got up from the misty sand and ran through the hole in the fence. While some of the soldiers were gunned down, a few, including me, were able to make it to the area underneath the bunker, where the MG-42s couldn't reach. I noticed a trench by the bunker on the far side. An MG-42 was mounted at a high point in the trench. Between the bunkers on the ground was a minefield. "We'll never get inside those bunkers unless we lose those machine gun nests guarding them." The commander said to me. "Patterson, if you can make it across that minefield to the turret, you can use it against those nests up there. We'll cover you. COVERING FIRE!" Again, my comrades fired their weapons at the far bunker. "NOW PATTERSON! GO NOW!"

I must've been crazy going across that minefield, but it was for a worthy cause. While the gunners in the bunkers were occupied, I stepped my way across the field of dirt and mines. I could barely see the small mounds that housed the explosive devices. There were a few craters within the field, so I used them to my advantage, since there were no mines in them. On my way I managed to take out one of the Nazi gunners in the closest bunker. A few seconds later, I successfully crossed the minefield and into the narrow trench.

At first there was no resistance, but then I noticed a German soldier. He must've seen me, also, for he started firing his MP-40 machine gun. I hid behind the corner, and then leaped out, firing at him. He fell soundlessly, blood staining the stone floor. Satisfied that he was dead, I climbed up the ladder to the MG-42. I manned it, but before I could aim it at the machine gun nests, I heard German shouting from the trench. Realizing I'd be ambushed, I pointed the turret to the corner. As Nazis came out, I unleashed hell with my "Hitler's Buzz Saw." They didn't stand a chance. I tossed a grenade into the area out of sight just in case.

With the immediate threat eliminated, I concentrated my fire on the machine gun nests. I fired the MG-42 at the areas underneath the mounds. Hitting these areas weakened the force holding up the tubes, and they dropped to the ground useless. I noticed the rest of the squad dashing across the minefield, so I re-aimed the machine gun at the bunkers. Though none of my comrades were taken out by gunfire, a few were blown away from stepping on mines. Once what was left of our squad made it to the end of the trench, the commander yelled for me to join them.

Abandoning the MG-42, I jumped to the floor and ran towards the squad. I made it just before a caliber shell destroyed the pathway between the minefield and the trench. For now, we were in a safe position, where no one outside could hit us. The commander stood with his Thompson, breathing heavily after the ordeal. He turned to me and said, "You've earned your pay today, Patterson." I dropped to the floor of the trench exhausted. I knew that the job wasn't finished, yet. We still had to take over the bunkers and destroy them, and then the rest of the invasion force could land safely. I knew one thing – this battle was not over yet...

End of Chapter 1