Author's Note: …
Now, kiddies, I shall repeat to you the same self-pitying rhetorical question I've asked myself the whole entire day. …but you know what? I should have known better because all that brought was even more harrowing things upon me. What a jinx! I hexed myself!
- With looo-- -
- Shut up! GO SUCK A DOORKNOB! –
- That's very creative of you. –
Back to what I was saying, "How could this day get any worse?"
I rested my chin on the windowsill in my bedroom, I'm sure the expression on my face looked a lot like a lost puppy. Scanning through the window overlooking the front lawn and neighborhood, I let out a long, drawn out sigh as my thoughts played back in my head the horrible day.
Let's see… first, I had totally embarrassed myself in the middle of the school courtyard. I was late for three out of my four classes because Tai wanted to catch up between them. Each of the times, he'd corner me up against a locker and lean towards me in which I'd squeak and drop my books, just so he would pick them up and I'd make a run for it to the girl's washroom. I don't know about you, but I just met this guy! I'm not about to play tonsil hockey with him! And to end the most imperfect day, Mimi, being her stupid giddy self, rushed towards me at the end of the day to excitedly tell—no, scream to me that Yamato had finally asked her out on a real date.
After that shocking revelation, my body had frozen over in a microsecond as I stared at her gushing nonstop about Yamato this, Yamato that, Yamato Iwannarapehissexygodlyskulptedbodyandthenmarryhimandbearhischildren. Even after that, I remember seeing him coming up behind her to give her back some notes during their tutoring session, and for some reason, my face decided to contort into one of a hateful glare. In return, he only stared at me, but the iciness in his eyes made me want to crawl into a hole and die.
So here I am now, miserably sitting by myself, watching out like a hawk for any signs of a car pulling up onto the driveway. It is pitch black, everyone has returned to the safety of his or her own homes—except for a certain brunette sister of mine. It was almost midnight. Midnight! And yet, there was no sign of Yamato's car! …But why would I care? I don't care at all! I was just… just seeing how beautiful the front lawn looked.
- It's not because I was looking out for them or anything…-
- Of course not, you're just hovering about the window to get some much needed air? - - Just looking out for my sister! - - And to see that she doesn't get her claws on your man? - - Enough with this. Haven't you ruined me enough already today? I'm officially now the mentally insane girl of the entire school! - - Maybe you should sort out your love life then. - - Maybe I could if someone didn't butt in with useless ideas! - - You've hurt my feelings! - - I find that to be impossible. - - You're evil. - - Shut up. I think I hear a car pulling up onto the driveway. -
- Of course not, you're just hovering about the window to get some much needed air? -
- Just looking out for my sister! -
- And to see that she doesn't get her claws on your man? -
- Enough with this. Haven't you ruined me enough already today? I'm officially now the mentally insane girl of the entire school! -
- Maybe you should sort out your love life then. -
- Maybe I could if someone didn't butt in with useless ideas! -
- You've hurt my feelings! -
- I find that to be impossible. -
- You're evil. -
- Shut up. I think I hear a car pulling up onto the driveway. -
On a random impulse, I pushed myself up, made a dash to the staircase, and rushed downstairs as quickly as I could.
- What are you doing? -
- What do you mean? - - You're rushing to listen to the door aren't you? - - What? What kind of idea is that? - - Yours, since you thought of it. - - I'm planning to do no such thing. I'm concerned about my sister. She knows her curfew is midnight. - - Right. And she's what...? Home an entire two minutes before midnight! Shock, horror! - - Be quiet! - - You'd have to discipline her now for following the rules! - - Shut up! - - Feed her to the crocodiles, send her to the gallows, and throw her in boiling hot larva to burn for her crimes! Sora, are you even listening to me? Or are you trying to listen for kissing noises Yamato might be giving Mimi? -
- What do you mean? -
- You're rushing to listen to the door aren't you? -
- What? What kind of idea is that? -
- Yours, since you thought of it. -
- I'm planning to do no such thing. I'm concerned about my sister. She knows her curfew is midnight. -
- Right. And she's what...? Home an entire two minutes before midnight! Shock, horror! -
- Be quiet! -
- You'd have to discipline her now for following the rules! -
- Shut up! -
- Feed her to the crocodiles, send her to the gallows, and throw her in boiling hot larva to burn for her crimes! Sora, are you even listening to me? Or are you trying to listen for kissing noises Yamato might be giving Mimi? -
I might have been. My ears were pressed up against the door, and I tried to listen to their muffled voices on the outside. That girl better not be trying to do anything that will embarrass her.
I hear a rustling of keys and a giggle as the sound of her opening the door kicks me into panic mode.
- Oh no. She's coming in. -
I staggered backwards and practically crawled on the ground for a while before I turned to rush upstairs as fast as I could, only to trip over an upturned corner of the rug on my way into the living room. WHO THE HELL PUT THAT THERE?
I groaned; my face buried into the Persian rug Mimi had vibrantly bargained for at an exotic market. Other than the rug feeling really nice and soft, I was having the sudden epiphany of how pathetic I was.
- Now isn't this a dignified moment? -
- If you can't physically help me, at least mentally be quiet! -
- If you can't physically help me, at least mentally be quiet! -
"Hey, Sora… What are you doing on the floor?" asked Mimi as she pranced in.
I got up on my knees and started feeling around on the ground, but I was really wanting to tear the rug I tripped on to shreds. "Oh nothing… I was just looking at the floors. I think we need carpets instead of rugs."
- Smooth save Sora. NOT! -
"Oh, well, what are you doing up?"
"Were you waiting for me?" She beamed, batting her eyes.
"No, I was just...studying."
She chuckled to herself, "Oh Sora, you're so studious sometimes."
I bit my lip, trying to hold back the question I've been thinking of all night, but my mouth had a mind of its own. "So… How was the date?"
Immediately she gushed. "Oh it was amazing! Yamato is so great! He's funny, smart, sweet, and so undemanding!"
I gritted my teeth. "Great. Just great."
"And he's such a great listener! I was telling him of this sale I went to last week and he just sat and nodded and smiled. Not like other idiotic boys who start yawning..."
Mimi continued to drone on about how wonderful Yamato was for the rest of the night, even when I was trying to sleep. I felt like screaming. It was unfair.
- What's unfair? –
- Nothing. Everything is just peachy. And it'd be even peachier if you stayed away from now on - - Why so charming? - - Go away –
- Nothing. Everything is just peachy. And it'd be even peachier if you stayed away from now on -
- Why so charming? -
- Go away –
I'm feeling on top of the world! Nothing could ruin this moment for me, absolutely nothing...
I sighed. Well, almost nothing. I twirled around and faced Michael, giving him the meanest look my pretty, little face can give.
He smirked with an amused look. "What's with the face, brat?"
I wish he'd stop with the annoying name he persisted on calling me. 'Brat' was worst than before when he didn't bother using my name!
"What do you want Michael?" I asked in an irritated voice. I had better things to do than converse with this dirt bag.
I snorted, "Right, like I'm going to admit to my crimes and be kicked out. I'm not stupid you know."
"Not about that." He shook his head and stepped up closer to me, leaning forward, "I've heard things."
I took a big step back, making it clear to him that there is a space rule between him and I. "Maybe you shouldn't be eavesdropping then."
Crossing his arms, he titled his head to the side and said nonchalantly, "I hear you and Yamato are dating."
The nerve of him trying to poke into my private life! "Yes. So?"
"Is it true?"
"What's it to you?"
"I just wanna know."
"I just wanna know."
"It's none of your business." I turned away from him, but I could tell he was getting annoyed with my defiant behavior.
"Look, I'm being nice here and asking you nicely, yet you persist on treating me like the enemy."
This guy gets even more confusing and stupid each day I talk to him! "What? Am I hearing things correctly? Isn't it you that wants to kick me out so I don't disrupt your precious school...?"
"Isn't it you who is always trying to snub me, and put me down, just because I came from a public school...?"
"Hold on brat..."
"And stop calling me that!"
"Brat. I hate it."
"Brat? Why that's just a term of endearment." He grinned.
"Shut up." Even with my back turned to him, I knew he was grinning at that. What surprised me was that I felt my cheeks getting warmer… which I don't want to happen at all!
"A sign of affection." He chirped.
I turned to glare at him, luckily my flushed face could be mistaken for an angry one. "Well, here is my way of endearing myself to you. Listen and listen carefully. I Hate You. Go Away."
It was like as if my words of hate didn't even phase him at all, he just shrugged and combed back his hair with his hand. "I know girls mean the opposite of what they say."
"What????!!!" I exclaimed in shock. Did he just the imply that I may like him in any way?
"I know you've got a thing for me. Girls usually do." Oh, no he didn't…
"Oh my god. Your ego is shocking."
"You don't have to pretend. I mean, why do you always strike up these strange conversations with me if you didn't have the hots for me?"
"Excuse me for interrupting your little world of delusions but I have never and will never initiate any conversation with you! You do that and plus, I have never liked you, never did, never will."
He gave an irritated sigh. "You know, I'm getting tired of this."
"Of you playing games."
What the hell? "What are you talking about? Get lost you mental patient."
"Ok, brat. But you know where to find me if you want me." And before I knew what was happening, his lips were on mine.
What's going on here? What is he doing?
After my initial surprise, I started frantically hitting him on the chest, trying to pull away but he held me tight, his grip on me was unbreakable. Oh no, what if Yamato sees! I feel tears start to well up in my eyes just thinking of Yamato, but suddenly Michael let me go, gave me a quick peck on the cheek, wiped my single tear away, and ran off laughing.
"You… you creep. If I ever see you again I'll...I'll..."
What? What will I do?
"…I'll throw something at you!"
But by the time I had shouted out, he was already gone and my threat was ineffective.
I touched my hands to my lips where he kissed me. It wasn't a bad kiss. If I had to be honest, it was a very nice kiss. Not sloppy or dry, but warm and soft... What the hell? What was I thinking? I wiped my lips viciously with the back of my hand to get the taste of him off my lips.
Michael was a jerk, thinking he could manipulate me to be soft and biddable… It's probably so I'd tell him the truth and he'd have the upper hand! Well, that would never happen. I'll make sure of that.