June 1992

Gary watched as the first baby was delivered. Cindy had received spinal anesthesia, so she was awake, but a drape separated her upper body from her lower abdomen so that she wouldn't see the actual surgical procedure. Gary had winced as the scalpel had opened Cindy's flesh, although he knew that she didn't actually feel any pain. After that, his awe at the miracle of birth took his mind off of everything else.

"Here's your girl!" Dr. Young, the obstetrician, exclaimed. He quickly handed the baby to the nurse, who cleaned her off and weighed and measured her. "Six pounds, five ounces!" she announced.

Dr. Young delivered the other twin. "And here's your boy!"

"Are they both all right?" Cindy asked anxiously.

"They're beautiful, honey," Gary told her.

"Seven pounds even!" The nurse had just weighed their son and was wrapping him in a blanket.

"Thank God." Cindy was incredibly relieved.

"Do you still want to go with Rebecca Grace and Jonathan Seth?" Gary asked her. The babies had been placed near her head, and she kissed first her daughter and then her son on the cheek.

"Yes, those are perfect names," she replied.

October 1989

Gary and Cindy had finished their hot dogs and had a few minutes remaining before it was time to report back to the radio station.

"Jackie was on her way to visit a friend when another driver swerved into her lane and hit her head-on. The guy wasn't wearing a seat belt and was thrown through the windshield and killed instantly. Jackie was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. As soon as I got the call, I left Carly and Jake with the neighbor and hurried to the hospital. She was still conscious, but her vital signs were fading quickly. I was with her, holding her hand, when she passed away."

"Oh, Gary, I can't even begin to imagine how painful that must have been for you."

"It was the worst experience I have ever been through in my entire life. But what hurt the worst was that her death was so senseless and could have been so easily prevented. I'll never forget the phone call I received from one of the police officers investigating the crash some time later. He told me that the toxicology reports were in and that the other driver's blood alcohol level had been twice the limit for legal intoxication."

"How terrible! I don't know how anyone could live with that."

"It's more difficult than you could even imagine. I just have to get through each day one day at a time. I also donate large amounts of radio time to Mothers Against Drunk Drivers and similar organizations. I believe that if I can save just one family the heartbreak we've been through, are still going through, it will be worth it. More than worth it."