I know author notes are frowned upon, but I figured some of you would really want to know about the following news if you enjoyed this story.
Because I'm bat-shit crazy, I'm going to re-write this series. Writing my first "novel-like" fanfics has taught me SO much about the weaknesses in my writing and where I need to improve. I got some amazing feedback and constructive criticism that I really took to heart, and I thank you for taking the time to give it. It was spot on, and I needed to hear it. (It wasn't always easy, lol, but I needed to hear it!)
Here are the big issues I had with both of these stories.
1. Age-appropriate realism. The relationships developed too quickly, and it got intimate too fast.
2. At first I didn't know what I was doing with Russia and China, and by the time I fell in love with them as a couple, their story had become disjointed from the other plots going on. The relationships of the allies will be more equally balanced and intertwined in the revised version, since I know who these characters are supposed to be now, and who I want them to become.
3. Awkward timing. At certain points, the story drags too long and then I rushed through months trying to compensate. Each fic will be very long, but it will be a much smoother ride.
3. Payoff, to borrow RussianRose's term for it. She gave me some great feedback about where my characters were failing to develop. Again, I think have the freedom of all four years will give me more time to let this happen naturally without forcing anything.
4. Typos – anything you pointed out to me in reviews, I'll fix as I upload. Keep in mind, most of this is now new content, though, so there will be all NEW typos to spot! Woohoo!
So, if you'd like to join me chapter by chapter to see it all unfold again, visit my website at www . demand-truth . com. The first three chapters are already posted of the new Invitational Year. 1 and 2 are essentially the same, while 3 was completely rewritten. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on old vs. new, so please feel free to leave me feedback on the Review Me page of the site.
When the whole revised first year is finished, I will post it in its entirety on this site by the name The Invitational Year Version 2.0. I do this not because I expect you to review it all over again, but simply because I know some of you don't like reading stuff on other sites. (I'm kind of like that, too.)
Once again, thank you so much for helping make the first go round an amazing experience. I hope to grow and learn just as much during round two, and I hope you'll be a part of it again!