November 19, 2011

I woke up on the first Sunday of Thanksgiving break just as I did any other Saturday. The sunlight filtered in through the blinds over my window, making me blink sourly at the unwelcome intrusion into my sleep. I tilted my head to glance over at the clock. 9:30. Ugh. I'd slept later than I normally would. That always made me sluggish. With great effort, I rolled over and got out of bed.

I headed down the stairs to go find some breakfast. As I walked into the kitchen, I was just beginning to wonder where my parents were when I spotted a note stuck to the fridge.


Dad got called in to help out with a problem at the plant, and I'm helping Mrs. Feckler down the street. I should be back by lunch, but in the meantime, don't forget to eat some breakfast, and try not to burn the house down.


Looks like I had the house to myself for the morning, which was perfectly fine with me. I managed to put together a breakfast in no time at all, and then I went straight back upstairs to finish getting ready. Of course, once I actually got there, my bed immediately became the better option, and I just about collapsed into it. From my current position, I could see my T.V. and the remote to it up on the dresser. As much as I wanted to turn it on, getting up was feeling like too much work. I stretched out my hand and attempted to "use the Force" to draw it towards me (come on, you know you have). I was in for the shock of my life when the remote twitched, shifted a bit, and then leapt off of the dresser and landed on the floor.

I sat there for about ten seconds, my mind trying to process what had just happened. Slowly, I peered over the edge of the bed, my eyes fixed on the now motionless remote. I reached over to my nightstand and grabbed a pencil, which I used to reach down and prod the device carefully. This continued for about fifteen seconds before rational part of my sleep deprived brain began to wonder what-on-Earth-was-I-doing-it's-just-a-remote. I dropped the pencil immediately and picked up the remote, all trace of exhaustion suddenly gone. I examined the device carefully. No strings that I could see. I shook it. Sounded normal. I opened the battery case. Still had two AA batteries inside. Everything about it looked normal, but then how did it leap off of the dresser? Suddenly, I thought back to what I had been doing when the remote had moved. Trying to make it do just that. But if that was the case, then what if…

I stared at the remote. Tentatively, I tried to will it to lift off from my hand. Slowly, shakily, it rose into the air. I dropped my hand, shocked. I let it sit there for I don't know how long, simply staring at the impossible sight in front of me. Eventually though, I let it fall, casting my gaze around the room. The pencil on the floor. With a thought, it shot upwards into my hand. I sat back, still stunned by it all. I was doing it. Me. Moving stuff with my mind. Telekinetic. Me. The thought both terrified and elated me at the same time. That rock, I realized. Back at the cave. That had to be it. But how on Earth had it managed to give me superpowers. I was so engrossed in brainstorming idea that I jumped about ten feet in the air when the phone started ringing.

I ran out of my room and grabbed the phone in the living room, quickly checking the caller ID. Paul. I breathed a sigh of relief as I pushed the answer button.

"Hello?" I said, sitting down.

"Jon?" Came Paul's voice from the other end, "It's Paul."

"Hey," I replied, "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing really," he said, "just wondering if you wanted to hang out or maybe catch a movie later or something."

I glanced up at the clock. Just past 10:00. "Actually," I replied, "Do you want to go hiking or something? There's something I want to show you."

"Sure, that sounds cool," he said, "Where'd you want to meet up?"

"Warbler's Creek," I replied quickly. The creek was a shallow stream that ran through the woods we normally hiked in, sometimes crowded during summer, but as winter approached, most people tended to avoid the banks. "You know where the lightning oak is? Meet me near it in about… thirty or forty minutes."

"Alright, see you then." He said, and then hung up.

I let out a deep breath. I looked down at my current state of dress still in my pajamas. Crap. Warbler's Creek was at least a twenty minute bike ride, and I still needed to get ready. I eyed the phone in my hand and just to make sure this wasn't all some strange dream, willed it to levitate. It did. Quickly, I placed it on the base and ran up to my room, throwing some clothes on and racing on the door in record time.

I sped down the path that led to Warbler's Creek, having left the park entrance and my bike behind several minutes ago. I reached the bridge and tore off to the left, slowing down a bit so I didn't catch my foot on any of the rocks which served as a beach. Finally, the old oak came into view, and I more or less collapsed next to it, breathing heavily. I looked at my watch. 10:40. I'd made it with plenty of time to spare. I laid there for a few minutes, catching my breath and wondering how I was going to explain all this to Paul when the sound of someone walking along the beach reached my ears.

"Jon?" I heard a voice say, as I turned to see Paul walking up, "Jeez, you must have booked it here. I only called you like twenty minutes ago." He crouched down and sat next to me. "So, what did you want to show me?"

My smile faded. I slowly sat up. "I-I'm not really sure how I should say this," I began, "You remember my hiking accident back in October?" He nodded. "Well, it wasn't quite as cut-and-dry as I made it out to be. Something else happened before the ambulance found me."

He looked at me curiously. "I'm guessing," He said, "that this means your little amnesia stunt was a trick?"

I nodded. "Yeah," I replied. "I do remember what happened… more or less. Basically, I fell in a hole."

He looked at me strangely. "You wanted to come all the way out here to tell me you fell in a hole?" He said. "That's it?"

"Well, that," I replied, "And the bit where I found a giant glowing crystal that I think may have given me superpowers."

Paul looked at me like I had two heads. "I'm sorry did you say superpowers?" I nodded. "Are you sure you didn't hit your head?"

"Oh, I'm sure I hit my head," I replied, "But I'm not joking about the superpowers."

"Okay then," he said, "Prove it."

"What?" I replied.

"Prove you have superpowers. Show me, right here, right now." He crossed his arms and sat back, still obviously not buying it.

I looked around for a second. Over Paul's shoulder I spotted a nice sized rock. Concentrating, I levitated the rock until it was floating directly over Paul's head. I looked at Paul and then gestured with my eyes at the rock. He looked up and I gave him two seconds to look at it floating there before I dropped it on his forehead.

He yelled and scrambled backwards, staring cautiously at the rock and clutching his forehead with one hand. He looked back and forth between me and the rock, an unspoken question in his eyes. I smiled at him, nodding as I once again lifted the rock into the air. He stared at it in wonder. "But…" he began, "How…?"

I smiled again. "I told you," I replied, "I fell in a hole and found a giant glowing crystal."

He glared at me, obviously wanting a better answer than that, when suddenly a pounding sensation started in the back of my head, very reminiscent of my escape from the cave. Wincing, I dropped the rock, raising my hand to my nose as I felt blood start to leak out.

Paul looked at me, concerned. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah," I replied, the pain fading after a moment, "I'm fine. I just got a little headache there for a second."

"And a nosebleed," Paul observed. "You think it has something to do with your new super powers?"

"My telekinesis, yeah." I said. "Maybe I get a nosebleed if I overdo it."

"Maybe so," He replied, "but you never did tell me specifically how you managed to find that crystal-and don't you dare say 'I fell in a hole' again."

Grinning, I told him the whole story, from the earthquake, to the crystal, to waking up in at the hospital, to my discovery this morning. He sat quietly through my little story, but once I'd finished, he had a question.

"So what happened to the crystal?" He asked.

"Oh, the hole caved in." I said, "I went back there to check about a week after the accident, but all I found was a shallow little depression."

"Where was the hole?" He asked.

"About a mile or so from the highway, just off of the east Deer Trail." I replied. "Why?"

"I was thinking that maybe we could go back and investigate it later on." He said.

"Maybe, but I think that-" I was cut off by my phone going off. I pulled it out and checked it. Mom. I answered and after a scolding about leaving home without telling anyone, I found out that my grandparents were going to be coming in tonight and that I needed to come home and help clean. Sighing, I turned back to Paul.

"I have to go home," I said, "My grandparents are going to be coming in and I have to help clean up."

"Alright," He said, "But don't think you're getting off that easy. We are going to find out how this happened and just how much you can do before I'm done."

I shook my head, grinning. "If you insist," I said. We both walked back to our bikes and, after Paul had extracted a promise from me to call him later, we parted ways.

A/N: Well, here is the long awaited chapter three! I don't really have a beta for this story, so please excuse any minor grammar mistakes you see. In any event, reviews are very good motivation more me to update. *hinthint*