The next day I came up with a system. If I was going to be here awhile, I tried not to dwell on how long, I needed to find a way to keep myself safe.

I didn't know anything about these creatures, except what I read from books, like the one written by Dr. Alan Grant or Ian Malcolm. My best chance would be to learn as much as I can from a safe distance. Anything I learn can be useful.

I fingered the raptor claw I fell on earlier as my mind drifted back to the time I fell on into an enormous puddle of T-Rex urine. The compys had scattered away not because they saw the T-Rex long before it came into view, but because they could smell the T-Rex.

The smaller dinosaurs know enough not to pick a fight with a T-Rex or even to be around a T-Rex. If I could just fill one of the empty beakers with some of that stuff-without getting myself killed or maimed in the process-I could keep most of the dinosaurs away from me.

I remembered the dinosaur with the huge fin. It had been even bigger than the T-Rex and definitely wasn't scared of the T-Rex. It was attracted to its stench. I weighed out the pros and cons before deciding that keeping away most if the dinosaurs including the raptors was much better than having all the dinosaurs on my heels.


I watched the T-Rex doing its business from a distance using my binoculars. Cursing at it silently to just finish up and move, so I could get what I came for. My legs were starting to cramp from the uncomfortable position of crouching on a narrow tree branch.

The T-Rex was now rubbing against a tree, probably marking its territory or something. As if the giant puddle of pee wasn't enough of a hint.

Finally after what seemed like ages, the T-Rex began to move away, and I slid down the tree, eager to finally get my sample after days of patient waiting and following for this very moment.

It was too good to be true, instead of making a complete exit out of the area, the T-Rex walked back toward its puddle of bodily fluid and settled down in a heap-mere yards from the puddle.

Did it really want to hunker down for a nap right next to where it did its business? Did the stench not bother it? Probably not if it's doing that right now.

I sighed. All this waiting for another missed shot. I decided to wait, I'm not spending another day stalking a T-Rex. I waited in the bush for a while, waiting until the T-Rex started to do something that resembled snoring in the loosest form of the word, before emerging from the underbrush and slowly and cautiously making my way toward the puddle.

My eyes were glued to the T-Rex as I took long, silent steps toward the puddle. When I got there I crouched down slowly and uncorked the beaker, flinching slightly as the cork make that high pitched sound corks do when removed from a tightly sealed container.

My eyes shot to the T-Rex as it gave out a low roar and raised its head. I froze as its sleepy eyes searched the area before dropping back down. I forced myself to be still for a few more minutes before dipping the beaker into the puddle.

I got up slowly and waited until I walked a good enough distance away before firmly capping the beaker and sighing in relief.


The pushed some the large green leaves aside in the early morning light and shifted my weight so I had a better view as I watched the stegosaurs eat. Herbivores didn't prove as much as threat as carnivores since they won't eat me, but if they think I might harm one of their babies, I'll be trampled into dust.

Easing myself from tree to tree on the branches, careful only to put my weight on the larger branches, I moved silently away. I smiled at myself, I was getting good at this. It's only been a few weeks and I could move about much more stealthily than I could have when I first got here, trampling through the foliage like some type of maniac.

The days blended together. Every day was a rotating schedule. Watching the dinosaurs when I knew they didn't notice me was a serene experience. I had figured out that the larger dinosaurs tended to be toward the outer parts of the island and the smaller ones tended to be toward the center.

I had used up a lot of smoke canisters during what I estimated to be the first few weeks or so, due to my past inability to move without attracting every living thing within half a mile. I was down to my last few, but was confident that I wouldn't need them anymore.

I climbed down the trunk when I thought I was far away enough from the stegosaurs, and jumped down the last few feet. I adjusted the leaves draped over my upper body for camouflage and to also hide my scent as much as possible, though I knew it didn't help much. I walked to another one of my scouting points. Climbing up a tree, I made my way through the branches until I found my spot and sat down, leaning against the wide trunk and waited for the raptors to appear.


I jerked awake, nearly falling off the branch I was perched on. Steadying myself on the branch, I squinted in the bright sunlight. I must have been asleep for at least a few hours. The sun was directly overhead. I began to climb down the trunk of the tree, I probably missed the raptors. I didn't think too much of it. I could always come back tomorrow.

Right as my feet touched the ground I heard the familiar nasally growl of a raptor. Crouching down low, I thought about what to do. Against my better judgment I began to move toward the noise curious. Something felt off.

I snuck through the foliage until I could see the raptors. And they weren't alone. There was a man in a white and blue checkered shirt with a fedora on his head. The raptors were circling around him, snapping their jaws at the man, who, laden with a backpack and black camera bag, was trying not to freak.

Thinking quickly I pulled the smoke canisters out of my pockets and pulled the tabs, releasing the smoke and throwing it in the midst of the raptors. They were the last of the canisters, but if this mysterious man could help me get off this island, it would be completely worth it.

Once I threw the last one, I pulled a handkerchief I had found in one of the boxes in the truck up and around my mouth and nose. Running into the smoke I grabbed a hold of the man in the fedora and began to run in the direction of my truck, pulling him behind me.

After a while I released my hold on the man, but didn't slow down. Together we continued through the trees, as the man coughed heavily, right on my heels.

Once we got to the swampy area the truck was sitting on, I moved ahead faster, using the crates I had placed in the water weeks before as stepping stones, so I didn't have to worry about tracking murky water everywhere.

Pulling the hatch open, I held it open so the man could climb in as his body racked with coughs from breathing in the smoke. I climbed in after him and stuck my head out the opening, scanning the area for any traces of raptors that might have followed us. The man began to speak between coughs saying five chilling words that made me freeze.

"Thanks. Thanks a lot Eric."