Here's my attempt at a 28 weeks later fanfic. Hope you like it I'm on the 2nd chapter and working on it between other fanfics

"Britain has had a mass outbreak of a disease known as the Rage Virus. Precautions are being taken to prevent the virus from jumping countries. U.S borders are being watched very tightly. NATO forces are being sent in to help with relief efforts for the survivors and to lock down the country. The infected are being hunted down and killed to try and stop the spread of the virus...All we can do now is hope that Britain will pull through this horror, our prayers are with them."

The News report sent chills down my spine; my family had taken a trip to Britain a a week before I was to be deployed there. They wanted to see the country, now I was worried if they were even still alive and if they were infected. I hadn't heard from them since the epidemic had broken out. I was scared for them, for my always-loving parents and my twelve year old sister. They may never see me again. It made me sick.

24 Weeks and Counting

Chapter1- 24 Weeks

My family was dead. All three of them. I sat in the military cargo plane as it prepared to land on the Isle of Dogs, or also called District One. Their fates had been simple, my mother had been bitten and spread it to my sister. My dad hadn't been able to kill them and had been infected himself, they were killed a few weeks ago by military forces. I looked down at my camouflage cargo pants, pulling a recent family picture from one of the pockets. In the picture I stood next to my sister, she looked like my father, she had long blond hair, green eyes, and fair skin. I, on the other hand, look like my mother, caramel hair with natural blond highlights, light blue eyes and tan skin. We had gone to the park that day my sister and I close to the lens, laughing, and my parents in the behind us sharing a kiss. It wasn't hard to tell; I missed them. A lot. I had joined the U.S Army when I was twenty, moving into the medical unit shortly after. My mother wasn't happy with my choice at first, but my father was fully-supportive, my mother wanted me to become a doctor not for the army, though. I always knew my mother didn't want me to be in the army because she never wanted to have me in constant danger. She voiced her concern multiple times, until, finally she became openly supportive of me. But that was four years ago things were completely-drastically-different now.

The plane slowly touched down on the island's tarmac, making its way to the gate.

"Please be advised you and your belongings will all be checked by our doctors for any signs of disease or viruses before you are allowed to enter District One, thank you," the Captain's voice came over the intercom of the plane.

I grabbed my small draw string, black bag of belongings from between my feet. I hadn't brought much, we weren't allowed to, I only brought a book, a water bottle -now half empty- and my sister's letter she wrote me on my first deployment. She had only been eight, but I cherished every memory I had of her over-seas, of home. I got up from my seat and followed the rest of the soldiers out of the plane swinging one of the bag's straps over my shoulder. We were funneled through the heavily-guarded gate to a small medical center in the airport, there was a soldier positioned with a rifle every few feet. When we arrived at the medical center I was taken by one of the nurses. My blood pressure was taken, my eyes checked for any signs of the Rage Virus, and my blood was taken and checked for any other diseases or viruses. I was cleared with a smile from the nurse and headed to the station where a train was taking the new arrivals into the city. I boarded the red train and waited for it to take off, pulling my hair up into a tight bun in the meantime. When the train took off I stared at the floor, not hearing the military personnel at the front telling us about the different rules of District One and what the district had for recreation or convenience. NATO had chosen our medical team to help with the reconstruction of Britain mainly to help find a cure for the virus. Some of the military's best doctors and nurses made up our unit I was proud to be chosen to help, but at the same time scared. I was scared of the epidemic happening again.

The door the my new room in the main building swung open. I stepped inside the spacious apartment-like room, looking around. It was pretty plain, there was a living room with a couch and coffee table, and a bedroom with a single bed a closet. There was a large window in the living room that over-looked the lower rooftops of other buildings surrounding the main building. The city was crowded with tall sky-scrapers on what seemed like every block it was a big change from my previous home in rural Kentucky before the military. I could spot snipers on some of the higher rooftops, no doubt watching the river for escapees or worse: survivors. They had told us that the last of the infected had died months ago, but I still didn't feel completely safe. I went into the bedroom and dropped my black bag on the foot of the bed next to the welcome package. I opened the box, inside was a fresh shirt and a few other necessities including my new I.D card and orders from base. I had already been debriefed but I had yet to receive orders until now. The letter told me to report to the medical level at 08:00 tomorrow morning to a Major Ross, Chief Medical Officer, for more specific orders. I'd heard many good things about her and surprisingly nothing bad she was very respected. She had been looking, as had most of the doctors, to find a cure for the virus, but she had worked harder than most. I went down to the cafeteria for dinner before heading back up to my room to shower. The cool water felt good, washing away my troubles for even a second was a relief. Darkness had swallowed the city when I got out of the shower, before I turned on the lights I went over and pulled the curtains over the large window in my bedroom. I flipped on the florescent lights, putting on sweat pants and a loose shirt to sleep in. It was already 22:45 and I figured I would have a long day tomorrow. I would have a long day every day, I obviously wasn't deployed to Britain before the outbreak, so I was put on leave for a few weeks before coming here. It wasn't hard to fall back into a lifestyle I'd been subjected to for years, but it wasn't easy either. Tomorrow, my whole life would change, for better or for worse I had no clue yet.

Well, there it is for now. I would really appreciate reviews to tell me how I did, but try to be as kind as possible since this just a mini prologue and the first chapter...I haven't got into the kick of it yet. I do accept constructive criticism