We dived into the bush right as the helicopter flew over the top of us. We both scurried down into the earth, hiding ourselves as best as we could. The spot light of the helicopter flew overhead, and continued on to the right of us. Fi lifted her head a little.

'Stay down!' I yelled above the horrendous noise. Leaves danced around us and dust was flying around everywhere. My hair was a tangled mess. Dust was flying into my eyes so I closed them tightly. As if closing my eyes would make everything go away. But of course, things don't work that way. It seemed as though the helicopter hung over us for hours, but it was only a matter of seconds. And suddenly, we heard it lifting up into the air more, and continued on its way, searching for us.

The dust settled and I sat up, looking across at Fi. She looked terrible. But probably no worse than what I looked like.

'Let's get to Kevin's.' I said, standing up and stretching a hand out to her.

She gratefully took it, and together we started carefully walking through the bush towards Kevin's house. We could hear the humming of the helicopter in the distance, but we felt safe in the bush. For the time being anyway.

We didn't make it back to Kevin's until 6:30 am. It was so close to light now that we had to be super careful for the last 3 kilometres. But we got there safe. No one was there. Homer, Lee and Robyn hadn't come back yet. And now that we were safe, we could allow ourselves to worry about them.

'We will wait until tomorrow night. If they aren't back by then, we go out and look for them.' I said.

We set up a spot in the sitting room, closed all the windows, and got some rest. We connected a bell to the front and back door, and the yard gate outside, so that whenever one of the doors or gates were opened the bell would ring, that way it would alert us if someone was coming. Then we got some much needed rest. Though my sleep was troubled and full of worry for Homer, Robyn and Lee, I was sleeping none the less.

I awoke to the sound of scurrying feet along the pavement. I rolled over, under the table and looked at my watch. It was 9 pm. We sure had slept the day away!

I gave Fi a little shake, and then placed my pointer finger on her lips as she opened her eyes. She rolled onto her stomach and listened. She suddenly heard the small noises I could hear. Her eyes widened. The little bell connected to the front gate to the yard went off. That scared the living daylights out of us! We crawled along the floor to the window, then slowly looked through the crack in the curtains, and got the shock of our lives.

It was Homer, Robyn and Lee. I jumped up, running outside.

'You made it!' I said excitedly.
'Just.' Homer answered, looking worried. 'We need to leave now. And head up to Hell. There is no time to waste. They're following us.'

I glanced out at the road and saw nothing.

'They will be here any minute.' Homer added.

I was worried. We went around the back of Kevin's house, and grabbed the 3 small push bikes we had left there from before we headed into Wirrawee 12 days ago.

Homer dinked Fi and Robyn dinked Lee, giving me a bike to myself. We swapped over numerous times, allowing everyone to have a turn at riding alone. Slowly and quietly, we made our way to Taylors Stich, and down into Hell.

We had escaped another 'almost' capture. Another 'almost' death.

It looked like we were winning this race, but for how much longer? How long until they catch up to us and pass us? How much longer will luck be on our side? How long until we do get captured and even killed? None of us knew the answers to any of these questions.

All we can do is keep fighting, keep taking them by surprise, keep scaring them, keep them on edge by using the advantages we have, keep trying to win this war, and most importantly… keep surviving.