Disclaimer: I don't own NCIS or any of its characters

Brutal Discoveries

Kate walked off the elevator and towards her desk in the bullpen of NCIS. Tony was already there at his desk. "Good morning, Tony."

Tony grinned. "Ah, indeed it is, Kate. Had a date last night with a smoking hot chick. Needless to say, she made Anthony very happy."

"Ugh! You're such a pig Tony," Kate said with a look of disgust.

"You're just upset that you didn't get lucky. You probably spent your weekend reading or some boring junk like that," Tony said.

"There is nothing wrong with having a laid back weekend," Kate said.

"You mean a boring one. You need some excitement in your life, Kate," Tony said.

"Excitement is overrated," Gibbs said as he walked past them to his desk. "There's a guy in Norfolk that would agree with that statement. He was stabbed twice and then his place was set on fire with him in it. Grab your gear."

Tony and Kate immediately stood up and got their things together. "Marine or Navy, Boss," Tony asked.

"Don't know. Maybe neither," Gibbs said.

"Well, then why are we responding?" Kate asked in confusion. They only took cases involving Navy or Marine.

"Not sure. Norfolk PD apparently has reason to believe it's an NCIS case," Gibbs said as he started for the elevator.

"Should I call Ducky?" Tony asked as he and Kate caught up.

"Nope. No body. Victim's apparently still alive," Gibbs said as they all made it into the elevator.


The team arrived at a small apartment at Norfolk a few hours later. The apartment was a mess. What wasn't completely destroyed was extremely charred.

Gibbs approached a man that looked to be in charge and showed him his badge. "Special Agent Gibbs."

"Detective Bricks. Thanks for coming," he said.

"Exactly what happened here?" Gibbs asked.

"Well, there's no sign of forced entry, so we're assuming the victim let his assailant in," Detective Bricks said.

"Don't assume. I've got a rule against it. Go on," Gibbs said.

"Uh, anyway, whoever it was stabbed him twice and set the place on fire. The smoke detectors and fire alarms were deactivated. The only reason this whole building didn't go up in flames is because one of the neighbors smelled the smoke and called 911."

"So that means that whoever did this probably planned it," Tony said.

"And almost succeeded in committing murder. He'll he still might. EMT's weren't holding out much hope for the guy's survival. He was burned pretty badly and that was after getting stabbed," the detective said.

"It's surprising he survived this long," Kate said. Not many could survive being stabbed twice and then being caught in a burning building with no way to save themselves.

"Who is he?" Gibbs asked.

"We don't know. We haven't found any ID. I'm sure there was some at some point, but it was probably destroyed," Detective Bricks said.

"Well, then why did you call us? How can you possibly know this is an NCIS matter if you can't identify the guy?" Tony asked.

The Detective went over to the table, or what was left of it anyway and picked up an evidence bag. "We found this in a desk drawer.

Gibbs took the offered document. It was almost completely destroyed, but was some things he could make out. There was an insignia at the top as well as the letters 'ETC'. The letters alone wouldn't be enough for Gibbs to recognize it, but the insignia was. "It's a FLETC certificate."

"Yeah, my partner recognized it. We called you right away," Bricks said.

Anger started to build up inside Gibbs. Some bastard had dared attack an NCIS agent. That bastard was going to pay for that. This just became personal. Gibbs was going to make sure whoever did this regretted the day he even heard of this agent.

"He was an NCIS agent," Tony said through gritted teeth. If there was one thing he hated above all else it was when some dirt bag went after one of their own, and the fact that it had been so soon after Pacci was murdered made it even worse.

"Still is, DiNozzo. He's not dead. Where's he been taken?" Gibbs asked Bricks.

"There's a hospital just around the corner from the NCIS Norfolk field office. It's called…"

"Yeah, we know where it is. Kate, you head there now. Find out his condition and get a picture if you can. We've gotta identify this agent," Gibbs said.

"I don't think that's gonna be so easy, Agent Gibbs. His face was pretty badly burned. I don't think you're gonna be able to identify him that way," Bricks said.

"Go, Kate," Gibbs ordered.

Kate nodded and walked out of the apartment.

"Tony, get on the phone with McGee. See if he knows of any agents that haven't shown up for work," Gibbs said. McGee was there best bet to narrowing down the list of possibilities for the identity of their victim. He would have easy access to the information since he worked at the Norfolk field office.

"On it, Boss," Tony said as he took out his phone walked to the other end of the room.

"Anything else you can tell me, Bricks?" Gibbs asked the detective.

"Not much. The fire started in the living room, probably inches away from your agent. The plan was probably either to finish the job or cover up any evidence that might have been left behind.

"What started the fire?" Gibbs asked.

"Can't say for sure until the fire marshals investigate the scene, but given the amount of damage, I'd say gasoline," Bricks said.

Tony came back at that moment. "Boss, McGee's not answering his office phone."

"Then call his cell," Gibbs said annoyed. That should've been obvious to his senior field agent.

"Um, I don't know his cell number, Boss," Tony said. He'd known it at some point, but he never saved the number. He'd never had any reason to have McGee's cellphone number on hand. The kid had only worked with them a handful of times and most of the time it was spent behind a desk.

Gibbs sighed unhappily. "Let's go. We're going to the Norfolk field office," Gibbs said before leading the way out of the apartment.