UNCLE HQ
The forum for MFU discussion, story discussion, meet ups. All things UNCLE. Invites are sent initially to active writers, with an implied understanding that we have some considerations in place in regard to topics. It should remain appropriate for all
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
girl in the glen

I wanted to make sure everyone could take note of this calendar that Carabele prepared. This is our official list of holiday writing events. Anyone is free to make suggestions for additional topics, and of course we can always take time to discuss a story or two if there is interest in that activity.

I want to say again how wonderful this challenge has been, and congratulate everyone on some really terrific stories.

The full calendar for HODOWE(Holidays of Dubious Origins Writing Event), running simultaneously on LJ in Section VII and here on ff.net, has been firmed up. Here's the full rundown:

Jan = Chinese New Year (missed this one this year as we started a bit late)

Feb = Groundhog Day

Feb = Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras/Carnivale

Mar = Vernal Equinox

Mar = Administrative Professionals' Day

Apr = Poisson d'Avril (April Fools' Day)

Apr = Tax Day or other notation with regard to fiscal year

May = May Day May = Armed Forces Day

Jul = San Fermin

Aug = International Left-Handers' Day

Oct = United Nations Day

Nov = Guy Fawkes Day

Nov = Election Day

~*~*~*~

We will occasionally have some overlap, so where we do folks will have an "either one/or both" option, e.g. they could choose which single holiday to incorporate into their fic, or choose to incorporate both into that same fic. (As an example of the "both" option, I could easily see a fiction that incorporates Guy Fawkes, with its underpinnings of conspiracy together with Election Day.) And of course the posting timeframe for any of these might begin in the month prior to the date (like our January 29th opening posting date for the Groundhog Day Challenge this year) or end in the month after the date. The specific story posting timeframe for any challenge would be part of the guidelines posted in the official announcement for the individual challenge.

~*~*~*~

Just a note on a couple of these holidays:

Administrative Professionals' Day back in the 1960s was known as Secretaries' Day.

Virtually every country has an Armed Forces Day so, though here we are using the date for the one in the U.S., the fic could incorporate a similar holiday from any country.

International Left-Handers' Day was not instituted until 1992 (and it is international, not just American). So the idea in that case would be to use the concept in a fic without mentioning any holiday by name. But that particular concept would make such relatively simple to do, I think.

Again, virtually every country has an Election Day (though those might or might not be free elections), so the same idea as mentioned above regarding Armed Forces Day would apply here: the fic could in some way reference a similar day in any country.

~*~*~*~

The next challenge will be for Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras/Carnivale and the tentative story posting timeframe on those stories is February 19th through February 25th. (I will put up a full guidelines post for this once the Groundhog Day Challenge is complete.)

1/31/2012 #1
Forum Moderators: girl in the glen
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member