The Dal
A small edge of cyberspace to discuss episodes, characters, and the general craziness that is Lost Girl.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Sci F.I. Warper

So.....yeah. Thoughts? (And did anyone else cheer when Hale punched Dyson?)

2/20/2012 #1
MistressDarkness

I cheered yes, but a small part of me was sad because I miss season 1 Dyson :( I understand where his character is at and where he is headed, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

On a better note, I loved the interactions between Hale's family & Kenzi. I always imagined if Kenzi hooked up with Hale, his family would react that way. It was nice to see it played out. Though I did feel bad for her. Also liked seeing Kenzi all dressed up.

3/4/2012 #2
CharmedMoon84

Did anyone else watch last night's episode? There was only one part of the episode that really bothered me. It was the romantic bed scene between Bo and Lauren.

3/6/2012 #3
SGAConvert

Hi Charmed, What was your worry with the bed scene? The argument afterwards? Just trying to get a bit more information...I thought it was a pretty powerful scene, that definitely sets up a boat load of conflict for the foreseeable future...

3/7/2012 #4
CharmedMoon84

Just the high intimacy level between Bo and Lauren. The whole time I was watching it, I was going "Ew. That's so totally gross."

3/7/2012 #5
SGAConvert

Ah. Well, I can't help you there--I'm on Team Lauren! ;) So, the gross factor you speak of, I can not relate to in any way! In fact, it all looked pretty nicely done from my vantage point.

3/7/2012 #6
Sci F.I. Warper

Meh. My biggest problem was the fight afterwards (completely on Bo's side with that). It's just one of the reasons Lauren isn't my favorite character (though she has gotten better in season 2).

3/7/2012 #7
SGAConvert

Now, that's a topic I can get into! I think the argument was a little stilted. And, while I see Bo's point--it would have felt like a slap in the face--I'm willing to see Lauren's intent was to keep Bo safe. The Ash merely planted the idea in her head--but she didn't do a good job with the way she put it out there for Bo in the aftermath. I do have to say, though at the end of the episode before, Lauren gives a little smile at the very end that makes me a little uncomfortable. You can almost see a possibility of ulterior motives in that moment.

3/7/2012 #8
Sci F.I. Warper

Oh, I don't doubt she intended to keep Bo safe, but that was not the way to go about it (kind of a running theme among characters. :P)

I honestly think Dyson pointed out exactly what bothered me so much with Lauren in season 1 during the spider episode. Her loyalties felt inconsistent (or, I guess conflicted as we later found out). Which might be why I've liked her more in season two minus the whole Nadia reveal.

3/7/2012 #9
SGAConvert

but...a fun way to keep Bo safe!! ;)

Yes, the characters don't really talk to one another so much as they talk at one another, that's for sure. On the other hand, what alternatives could Lauren have used? [and to be fair, the Ash didn't *tell* her to do that; he planted the idea]...honestly, Bo is so headstrong, I don't know that simply warning that she might be overpowered by Vex would have worked. She's far too impulsive a character--and sometimes impulse is best fought with impulse.

I think Lauren would often say that the end justifies the means---and that's the worry I have about her character. She's too rational. The fact that she called down the Ash's security on the previous episode (with the spider) to quarantine the club house says she's willing to go to the most unpleasant ends to keep damage losses to a minimum--even if that meant ultimately losing Bo.

3/7/2012 #10
Sci F.I. Warper

Drug her? She's pretty good at that as we found out. ;)

Honestly, though, I don't know. Personally, I would gotten back-up in the form of Kenzi or Dyson (granted the three of them don't get along very well, but they at least mostly acknowledge they've got Bo's best interest at heart) before the "plan" went to hell, but meh. And it would be one thing if Lauren admitted she did it just to protect Bo, but she brought the politics in her arguement. Bo isn't aligned and while, yes, it would have hurt Lauren to see her killed by the Dark in retaliation, there wouldn't have been any overall effect on Dark/Light relations. It just felt like she was justifying fulfilling the Ash's whim of wanting to see what Bo was all about.

Lauren's rationality is actually one of the things I like about her since she offers a good counterbalance to several of the other character's passion/impulsiveness. It just grates on my nerves that it isn't focused.

3/7/2012 #11
CharmedMoon84

The whole romantic gay bed scene between them isn't what I had looked forward to during that episode so I was kind of digusted with that patricular scene.

3/7/2012 #12
SGAConvert

Sci F.I. Warper

You make some great points--I actually think the reason her rationality seems unfocused is because at this stage in our awareness of the character--the end justifies the means. In hindsight of season 2, when we have more background on her character, I think it's easier to step into L's shoes at *this* point in the show S1 ep 8 and think about what it might be like to have no one to turn to for any real trust. Going to Dyson and Kenzi would have not been a norm for L at that stage for a bunch of reasons. (I hate the idea of spoilering anyone so this may come across as cryptic)...as for now, we know she has some jealousy toward Dyson and that she and Kenzi don't see eye to eye...but, yeah: that would have been an option.

My read on it is that this is something Lauren very much wanted to do. The actual benefit of keeping Bo alive is what gave her the internal green light to justify her actions.

the drugging would have worked...but, wow...can you imagine the fall out of that? In some ways, that seems even more manipulative.

I agree about her rationality providing a good counterbalance---definitely! It's that sometimes (at this stage) she seems to be governed by her rationality to the point of fault--which is another way for the writers to bang us over the head and say you can't be too dogmatic OR too impulsive!

Fun discussion!! thanks for pulling together a space for this!

3/7/2012 . Edited 3/7/2012 #13
SGAConvert

CharmedMoon84...

on the other hand, they do have warnings listed ahead of time!

I'm actually pleased to see the scene played out on screen rather than implied. Too often, 'romantic gay bed' scenes are marginalized, but when the writers are setting up a tension between three characters, you need to have a convincing dynamic. Sorry, seeing Lauren wrapped up in a sheet doesn't exactly do that. The bit where Bo rips off the necklace is pretty important. And, we also get some idea that Lauren isn't simply in it for the Ash--she's pretty engaged and assertive. Not exactly the posture of someone who's just doing their master's bidding...

It's also a real awakening to the ways that other countries depict sexual scenes (honestly, the hetero scenes are pretty steamy as well) relative to the US sanitary versions....

3/7/2012 . Edited 3/7/2012 #14
CharmedMoon84

I know they do. It would have made me be less disgusted if they had toned it down just a smidge. But you made some interesting points despite all that. I too thought it intriguing how she rips off the necklace. I'll be looking forward to seeing the next episode if I can somehow watch it on a video website such as YouTube.

3/7/2012 #15
Sci F.I. Warper

No problem!

And I was actually kidding on the drugging bit. That would have taken the character way too far (and really doesn't sound like something Lauren would do honestly). I do agree her options were limited at the time, though. It was just the reasoning she gave Bo that got to me.

3/7/2012 #16
SGAConvert

CharmedMoon84 try "yourtvseries" dot eu

sorry this web site doesn't allow placing links....so hopefully the above makes sense....

all the episodes are there!

3/7/2012 #17
Sci F.I. Warper

There's also "blendseries" dot com. And the scene between the pair didn't seem any worse then ones between Inara and the senator-ish person in "Firefly"

3/7/2012 #18
CharmedMoon84

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that sometime soon cause I'm gonna have to miss an episode on Monday.

3/7/2012 #19
CharmedMoon84

Ok. Never seen Firefly, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

3/7/2012 #20
owelpost

Hey guys,

Interesting discussion! CharmedMoon84, I just had one question... you said you weren't expecting the Lauren/Bo love scene, right? I'm just wondering why, considering there was a large amount of build-up over a several episode time-frame? Lots of tension between the two of them, starting with the first episode when Lauren says she thinks Bo is beautiful. I suppose it wasn't as blatant as the Dyson/Bo bit where they start making out right away. I guess what I'm wondering is how did you react to the other, more tame Bo/Lauren scenes?

owel

3/8/2012 #21
CharmedMoon84

The romantic gay bed scene between Bo and Lauren was a little over the top in my opinion where as the slightly more tame moments between them suited me better.

3/8/2012 #22
Aussie SciFi Tragic
To SGAConvert, I agree with you. Compare Buffy to Lost girl. I like the more realistic portrayal of the bedroom scenes. I'm sorry to say but the US Approach.to TV censorship has meant that I've enjoyed Los Girl more than Buffy because it's more realistic, right from the start I've never been a fan of girl on girl scenes but in this series, it works! When you consider what Bo has been through, it makes sense she has relationships with both Dyson and Lauren. She has been on the run for so long without being.able to form friendships or relationships, I'm sure she's enjoying OD'ing on both. I like reading about TV history and we 'grew up' here in Aussie in the 70s. With Lost girl, it is however not too revealing but much better then in US series. Here it airs at 9.30pm Thurs, prime time. We're up to S2Ep4 next week. Thank god for the Canadians! LOL!
3/9/2012 #23
Aussie SciFi Tragic
To SGAConvert, I agree with you. Compare Buffy to Lost girl. I like the more realistic portrayal of the bedroom scenes. I'm sorry to say but the US Approach.to TV censorship has meant that I've enjoyed Los Girl more than Buffy because it's more realistic, right from the start I've never been a fan of girl on girl scenes but in this series, it works! When you consider what Bo has been through, it makes sense she has relationships with both Dyson and Lauren. She has been on the run for so long without being.able to form friendships or relationships, I'm sure she's enjoying OD'ing on both. I like reading about TV history and we 'grew up' here in Aussie in the 70s. With Lost girl, it is however not too revealing but much better then in US series. Here it airs at 9.30pm Thurs, prime time. We're up to S2Ep4 next week. Thank god for the Canadians! LOL!
3/9/2012 #24
Kitthekat94
Do you guys think that dyson and Ciaira are going to last? He still seems lost about his emotions. Let me know your thoughts. :)
7/9/2012 #25
ficlover1193

No. He can never love her, and the will NEVER last.

7/9/2012 #26
Kitthekat94
Who do you think he'd end up with? Did you see today's episode? I think he and kenzi might be good, thoughts? :)
7/9/2012 #27
ficlover1193

Well, i think he will eventually get his love back. Cause lets face it: he's kind of a miserable s.o.b without it!! lol So i imagine the coming season(3) will probably involve some more of the triangle(lauren/bo/dyson). I myself would rather he be with Bo. But if she were to pick Lauren(YIKES, no offense), i guess i could see him with Kenzi. I know alot of people ship them, and i can see why. There is some sort of chemistry between them. But do you think it is a romantic love chem or more of a sibling love chemistry. And do you think they would be willing to do that to Bo? And most importantly: How would our succubus feel about it??

7/10/2012 #28
Sci F.I. Warper

Again, that depends on if Bo's with Lauren or not. If she is....well, we do know she can see sexual energy so it may not come as a huge shock for her. If she's not, Kenzi doesn't strike me as the type to go beyond good friends with Dyson. Me personally, I doubt the writers will pair Dyson and Kenzi (unless its for a really wacky, cupid-loses-his-mind kind of episode); but I've always suspected deep down she's in love with him.

7/10/2012 #29
Forum Moderators: Sci F.I. Warper
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member