The Dal
A small edge of cyberspace to discuss episodes, characters, and the general craziness that is Lost Girl.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
SGAConvert

Ep 1x7: ArachnoFaebia... There was a point when Lauren was describing the spidery underfae...which caused paranoia and ultimately homicidal rage in its victims.

She was recounting times when human violence was caused by this underfae...and the line was (paraprhased):

"It (the Underfae) was actually a major cause of the recent Sudanese genocide."

Ugh. I have to say: I have problems with writing like that. It seems awfully dismissive of a non-fictional horrible, terrible, vicious criminal regime/act. This is close to the point when I get ready to write off a show for being stupidly offensive. Anyone else have problems with that sort of exploitation? I'm sure any Sudanese refugees wouldn't appreciate hearing this sort of campy reference to their genocide.

3/9/2012 . Edited 3/9/2012 #1
Sci F.I. Warper

Interesting observation. I'm not sure the writers necessarily intended for the comment to be offensive, but it definitely was in poor taste.

3/10/2012 #2
MistressDarkness

I understand where you are coming from and agree. I understand the writers were trying to make this underfae seem extremely dangerous (to the point of warranting a quarantine) by using that as an example, but I think they would have been much better off making up their own example, even if they had to add a little bit of explanation about it into the scene.

3/11/2012 #3
Cyril Smith

Yes, yes, I couldn't agree with you more. I think they could have made their point just by being a bit more vague -- I'm sure the fans have sufficient imagination :-)

1/24/2013 #4
Cyril Smith

Yes, yes, I couldn't agree with you more. I think they could have made their point just by being a bit more vague -- I'm sure the fans have sufficient imagination :-)

1/24/2013 #5
Silverr

I definitely agree: it was in poor taste. (I'll assume they had good intentions, perhaps wanting to bring the event to the awareness of more people.)

On a minor note, I'm still only half-way through season 2 and the "fae" puns and plays on words---yeah, enough already!

2/19/2013 #6
NickyFox13

I disagree, I actually find the fae puns cute. Sure they're slightly aggravating at times, but most of them are really pretty adorable (and occasionally fitting.)

4/6/2013 #7
Forum Moderators: Sci F.I. Warper
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member