Enter the Spider's Web
A forum where you can discuss Spider-Man in all of his incarnations, from mainstream comics to Ultimate Marvel to films to television to "Turn off the Dark" to video games and more.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Rider Paladin

This is where we discuss Ultimate Spider-Man, both the original comic and the upcoming animated series. For those who don't know, Ultimate Spider-Man was initiated as a retelling of Peter Parker's beginnings as they might have occurred within the 21st century as opposed to the 1960s where he was originally conceived and written by Brian Michael Bendis and illustrated for the first 111 issues by veteran Spider-Man artist Mark Bagley. It was a smashing critical and commercial success, in that Bendis and Bagley managed to encompass and distill the essence of everything that drew fans to Spider-Man/Peter Parker in the first place regardless of the somewhat "edgier" atmosphere of the Ultimate Marvel Universe.

Then they killed him. A final battle with Norman Osborn, the maddened Green Goblin, who in this universe was indirectly responsible for Peter Parker's transformation into Spider-Man and still his mortal enemy as in any other universe, ended both their lives. Peter died a hero, and he was remembered as such . . . and now his example has inspired another young man, with similar powers originating from an earlier attempt by Osborn to recreate the Spider-Man experiment, to take up the webbed mantle, much to the chagrin of many Spider-fans in-universe and in the real world.

Also, there's going to be a new Ultimate Spider-Man TV series premiering on April 1st on Disney XD. The series is based partly in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, but has the new twist of Nick Fury orchestrating this Spider-Man's training alongside four other young superheroes and lots of appearances from more seasoned adult heroes like the Ultimates, plus familiar faces from the web-slinger's rogues gallery.

Here is where we are free to discuss all three of those incarnations of Ultimate Spider-Man, from Peter Parker to Miles Morales to the TV series and onward. Just remember, keep it friendly and try not to be jerks to one another if you disagree on something.

3/10/2012 #1
KKD Silver

While I don't mind Miles Morales, I wish they would've just given the guy his own comic while they brought back good old Peter. But this is just my personal opinion.

5/2/2012 #2
Rider Paladin

As saddened as I am by Peter Parker's untimely death in the Ultimate Universe, I'm not opposed to Miles's existence, especially as a unique character whose situation and dynamics with his family and friends are vastly different from Peter's. Peter's Uncle Ben was a good man who would have been proud of Peter had he lived to know about him being Spider-Man, while Miles's dad has a strong distaste for superhumans as bringers of chaos into the lives of ordinary people and Miles's uncle (his dad's brother) is the Ultimate Prowler, a super-thief who's figured out Miles is Spider-Man and wants him on his side. However, I wouldn't have been entirely opposed to Miles becoming the Scarlet Spider/Steel Spider of the Ultimate Universe, coexisting alongside Peter Parker and Jessica Drew (who should get more face-time, seriously).

5/4/2012 #3
OverNerd03

You know i'm glad they made Miles Spider-Man cause now they got more people interested in Ultimate Spider-Man. My cousin said to me once. "Why bother reading Ultimate its just like Amazing only the characters have new looks."

5/4/2012 #4
Rider Paladin

Peter's Spidey still looked pretty much the same as canon, only with some barely noticeable stylistic tweaks. And Miles being the new Ultimate Spider-Man does draw a lot of newbies to the comic that might not have otherwise been as interested. Not to mention, there is plenty of mileage to be had in tweaking a comic book universe to be more representative of the many different kinds and flavors --- and yes, colors --- of people we have in the real world.

5/4/2012 #5
OverNerd03

Yeah i will admit i was shocked as hell to discover that Miles was black i'm black to but still it was like Obama becoming President to me.

5/4/2012 #6
Rider Paladin

Yeah, it was one of those things you always hoped for in the back of your head but never really imagined could happen until it did happen.

5/4/2012 #7
OverNerd03

Yeah i know but the biggest surprise was to learn Miles is a kid i mean he's only 13 years old.

5/4/2012 #8
Rider Paladin

Yeah, even younger and smaller than Peter, and Peter in the Ultimate Universe was only 5'6".

5/4/2012 #9
OverNerd03

Yeah...I hope he can survive facing his uncle though.

5/4/2012 #10
Rider Paladin

He has survived facing his uncle, at least for now. Is he going to be able to survive the choices he makes concerning that uncle, though? That might be another story.

5/4/2012 #11
OverNerd03

Yeah that's what i mean will turn out to be another uncle ben case or something more tragic.

5/4/2012 #12
KKD Silver

Having not heard of him until recently, I can only wish Miles good luck as Ultimate Spider-Man... he's got some BIG shoes to fill now that poor Pete's gone, 'specially for a poor kid.

5/5/2012 #13
Rider Paladin

Uh-huh. To both of you.

5/5/2012 #14
Mulunia
I saw a rerun of Ultimate Spiderman today. :D Already, I have a favorite episode. :3
5/5/2012 #15
Rider Paladin

Which one would that be?

5/5/2012 #16
Mulunia
Venom. :3 He's one of my favorite villains, and I was excitedly waiting for his episode when - surprisingly enough - it aired on like, the 5th ep. Oh, well. ;)
5/5/2012 #17
Rider Paladin

Fourth episode, actually, and we're getting a reappearance from a possibly upgraded version in next Sunday's episode. Speaking of, did you see this morning's episode? Hulk smash, Zzzax zap, Spidey quip, and MJ scoop!

5/6/2012 #18
OverNerd03

Yeah it was awesome though now i almost wish they had the Spider-Hulk appear.

5/6/2012 #19
Rider Paladin

Except for "smash," the verbs I used in my description of the episode all ended in "p." Funny how that works, huh? And yeah, Spider-Hulk would be cool. Maybe a later episode.

5/6/2012 #20
OverNerd03

Yeah wouldn't it now i also wonder if Peter will become Cosmic Spider-Man in the show at somepoint.

5/6/2012 #21
Rider Paladin

That would be cool. Speaking of Cosmic Spider-Man, if X-23 can have her Captain Universe form as an alternate skin in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, there's no reason Spidey should have been denied his Captain Universe form.

5/8/2012 #22
OverNerd03

Yeah that was weird..you know if Marvel vs Capcom 3 had a story mode i have a feeling Cosmic Spider-Man could've been involed.

5/8/2012 #23
Rider Paladin

The Cosmic Spider-Man could have been the key to defeating Galactus at the end, which would have been awesome.

5/8/2012 #24
OverNerd03

Yeah it would've been.

5/8/2012 #25
KKD Silver

You said it.

5/11/2012 #26
Rider Paladin

Who's been watching the show lately? First, stroke of genius to have Harry become Venom, albeit initially in black-suited Spider-Man form, by devising a method of controlling the symbiote so he can be a superhero and impress his father. Reminded me a bit of Normie Osborn from the MC2 Spider-Girl comics when he was forcibly bonded with the Venom symbiote, and the wrist-mounted container for the symbiote reminded me of the wristwatch Spider-Man used to change into his nanotech costume in Spider-Man Unlimited.

Second, Spider-Man/Thor team-up! Awesomeness. Not gonna give away too much of the plot, but I gotta say, it was worth it just to see Spider-Man and Loki go trickster-to-trickster. Spiders are notorious tricksters in most cultures' myths.

5/21/2012 #27
OverNerd03

Yes i love this series pure genius.

5/21/2012 #28
Rider Paladin

Speaking of pure genius, "Freaky" was hilarious. Steve Blum has some good comedic chops, and him voicing Peter freaking out over being in Wolverine's body was practically comedic gold --- or at least bronze. Shanking himself all the time was a bonus, too, and I rather liked Wolverine-as-Peter giving Flash Thompson what he deserved, although the scene with him hitting on Mary Jane --- "I love me a redhead!" --- was rather creepy, though disturbingly funny. The body-switched Wolverine and Spider-Man cooperating with each other was sheer awesome, and Wolverine putting Peter's spider-agility through its paces fighting Sabretooth was quite the show of what a trained fighter could accomplish with spider-powers, which is probably what Nick Fury is trying to get by training Spider-Man in this series.

6/21/2012 #29
Mulunia
Yeah! :D Sadly, I haven't seen the newest episode. :(
6/30/2012 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rider Paladin
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member