Enter the Spider's Web
A forum where you can discuss Spider-Man in all of his incarnations, from mainstream comics to Ultimate Marvel to films to television to "Turn off the Dark" to video games and more.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Rider Paladin

Everybody loves doing a retelling of Spider-Man's origin and early history. They did it to launch Ultimate Spider-Man, they did it with the first Spider-Man film, they're doing it again with the new Amazing Spider-Man film, and fanficcers seem to love putting their unique spin on Spider-Man's beginnings. It's not a bad thing, of course; new interpretations keep things fresh and allow for new understandings of the characters. The only aggravating thing, as I see it, is the continual push to start the series from the point where Peter Parker is a teenager, around 15 to 17, as opposed to starting when he's a little older and slightly more experienced. To some extent, I blame the perennially youth-obsessed culture of my country, the United States of America. To some extent, I understand it as a necessary evil on account of Disney XD airing the last two Spider-Man animated series, Spectacular and Ultimate, and since Disney is supposed to be kid-friendly, you'd need a teenage Spidey to appeal to that particular audience. On another vantage point, I understand the allure of "starting fresh," being free to redefine the character and his origins and his history without the "yoke" of now 50 years of continuity constraining the creative process.

Sometimes, it's been done very well. Not to be a shameless plug, but Nomad88 has done great work with his "The Spectacular Adventures of the Amazing Spider-Man" ongoing series, incorporating the best elements from the main comics, from Ultimate Marvel, and from the various animated series and films, plus some original twists, to create what I feel is a splendid retelling of Spider-Man's story while tying him and his supporting cast more closely to the other heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe. ZeroBen is another one I'd freely cite, with his unique twists on Spider-Man's origin and history, and even using bits of canon that had gone unnoticed or unacknowledged by other Marvel writers.

Of course, for all the twists on Spider-Man's beginnings, these factors have been a constant --- Peter Parker is an orphan. His parents died when he was young, and he was raised by a doting aunt and uncle who thought the world of him and scraped together the best they could for him. He was intensely interested in various forms of science, and that made him an outcast among his peers, with Flash Thompson taking relish in bullying him. Then he went to a scientific exhibit of some kind and was bitten by a spider that had been altered at said exhibit, the spider passing on its abilities to him. Reveling in his newfound power, Peter sought to make a name for himself as a performer of one kind or another, and in a moment of selfishness, he refused to stop a passing thief who would have been no match for him otherwise. Then his Uncle Ben was killed by a thief, and Peter chased him down as Spider-Man to avenge his uncle, only to find that the thief who killed Ben Parker was the same thief he had so recklessly disregarded, making Ben's death his fault. Chastened by this revelation and ashamed of how his selfishness had cost the life of one of the few people in his life that cared about him, Peter Parker vowed to defend those who could not defend themselves wherever he went as the amazing, astonishing, sensational, and spectacular Spider-Man . . . even if J. Jonah Jameson, the owner of The Daily Bugle could only think of him as a menace and use the paper to publicly denigrate him as such, tainting his perception in the eyes of the very people he was trying to protect.

That is the basic story of Spider-Man's beginning, the fateful lesson taught to him by his Uncle Ben, "With great power, there must also come great responsibility." As long as that remains the constant, it is still Spider-Man, no matter who might be under the web-slinger's mask or in what time or world that hero finds himself.

Now, let's discuss, but remember: Stay civil!

3/13/2012 #1
I liked the idea of how Neogenics got Spidey his powers. Recombing two DNAs might be possible in the future! :)
4/30/2012 #2
Rider Paladin

Indeed, recombinant DNA has been something scientists have been tinkering with for years and the original movie version did hint at recombinant DNA being the source of the fifteen "super-spiders" on display at Empire State University on the field trip where Peter got bitten by one of them. After all, what other way do you explain them mix-and-matching traits from various types of spiders to make fifteen "super-spiders"?

Speaking of, I had an idea for an updated version of his origin. The idea would be that Peter did get his powers as an unintended byproduct of research into recombinant DNA that could fuse the best traits of two different species to create a newer, deadlier organism. Instead of getting into wrestling, though, he got into underground mixed martial arts, as MMA is still illegal in the state of New York even if legal nearly everywhere else in the country, and based on that illegality he made the costume so he wouldn't be recognized in the event he either embarrassed himself or the cops came down on the place. In costume, as Spider-Man, he beat the crap out of the reigning champion in that arena and thus replaced him as the champion, only to find that the guy running the arena expected Spider-Man to kick back to him a percentage of the profits from the observers coming in to bet on the fights.

Peter went along with it for a while, as he was making some good money, but as the arena manager began to take more and more of his share, Peter got more and more arrogant and belligerent from his success in the matches (enhanced strength, speed, agility, coordination, reaction time, and a handy-dandy danger sense are unfair advantages) and eventually tried to press the issue, so to speak. The disagreement exploded into violence between Spider-Man and the arena manager's bodyguards and he was chased out, which made Peter seek revenge by anonymously dropping a dime to the police and then going to observe them all being taken down. Unfortunately, it blew up in his face when the police found themselves in a shootout with the better-armed thugs that frequented the arena and Peter attempted to intervene, horrified at the chaos resulting from his ill-advised plot. Even more unfortunate was that Uncle Ben was trying to find Peter after finding out he went to the arena but not knowing he was a fighter in his costumed identity of Spider-Man and was shot down by a stray bullet from one of the thugs. Shocked and dismayed and heartbroken, Peter barely had time to exchange last words with Uncle Ben through his mask, and in his grief and fury, Peter nearly killed the thug who had fired the bullet that killed Ben Parker, only to have an epiphany as to who was really responsible for his death. Relenting out of remorse, Peter swore an oath on his Uncle Ben's grave that he would always use his power the way it was meant to be used, as a means to help those who found themselves helpless in the face of crime and corruption . . . and so was born the Amazing Spider-Man.

4/30/2012 #3
O.N 4

And what would soon be the greatest legend in history.

4/30/2012 #4
Oh! Sudden inspiration! :D Ahem. Neogenics: The study of decombining, reconstructing, and recombining human DNA with those of animal organisms. The humans recieve the most iconic traits of the animal organism, giving them Amazing abilities. Unfortunately, a setback in the system causes genetic mutation, which alters the mind and body of the changed human. These NeoFs (Neogenic Freaks) only have a small window of time before their human conciounce is lost and replaced by the much-stronger Primal Instinct. • Selfish scientists have sold their equipment to rich men for money instead of researching for cures. These rich men in turn kidnap people (primarily criminals) and mutate them to fight in underground arenas to the death (much like dog fights). Spiderman is one of these unfortunate victims and must find a way to escape, find a cure, and save them all- and before time runs out... ...So, what do you think?
4/30/2012 #5
Rider Paladin

That would be pretty interesting, and we could even throw in certain more familiar villains. Like how Connors originally wanted to give humans the ability to regenerate lost limbs, which would be especially beneficial to people who'd lost them in accidents or wars or other terrible circumstances, and ended up becoming a psychotic reptilian monster. Scorpion could be another one, in that he subjected himself to the process so he could get respect and power and ended up turning into a homicidal psychotic. Electro could be the result of recombining human DNA with electric eel DNA to make humans able to produce a similar bioelectric charge, only the results were far beyond the expected parameters and he went mad with power. For your idea, we could have Kraven the Hunter at some point hear of these man-beasts and come down to hunt them for sport, with the man-beast fighting ring live-streaming it on the Internet because they think it's gonna be a huge sensation seeing Kraven, with just his human mind and honed senses and skills (unaware he's got a little something extra of his own), hunt and take down every one of them. How does that sound?

4/30/2012 #6
O.N 4

I like that..Hey how about adding the High evolutionary this fits his M.O

4/30/2012 #7
That. Sounds. EPIC!!! :D
4/30/2012 #8
Rider Paladin

It would work, especially since they tried to connect him to the Clone Saga for a while, citing Miles Warren as a former colleague of his, and made him the Big Bad Guy of Spider-Man Unlimited's Counter-Earth.

4/30/2012 #9
O.N 4

Yeah i knew that idea would work and not have him involed at the beginiing but like have it that his presence can be felt.

4/30/2012 #10
Um... I just noticed something... what spider exactly bit Pete to give him his powers? (I'm talking about the original comics, but whatevs.)
6/12/2012 #11
Rider Paladin

A common house spider, or so the Marvel wiki says.

6/13/2012 #12
Okay. Thank you.
6/14/2012 #13
Rider Paladin

You're welcome.

6/14/2012 #14
pegasus spider
I want to writte a story retteling the spider man universe, the origin is a little different because i wanted to explain why the spider only bite peter in a room full of other people. I come to a conclusion, in my fic the spider was draw to peter because of the spider part of his DNA give to him by his ancestors and predecessors as spider men: peter parguash the first super human and spiderman noir.
1/1/2013 #15
Rider Paladin

Sounds good, and I'd be all for helping you with that in whatever way I can. The way you have it happening reminds me a bit of how they did Hulk's origin in The Incredible Hulk movie, with the radiation acting as a catalyst to "unlock" hidden genetic potential (in Peter's case, from his spider ancestry, and in Hulk's case from a super-soldier serum being passed off as a radiation-resistance serum). That could actually work pretty well.

1/2/2013 #16
O.N 4

I agree.

1/2/2013 #17
Rider Paladin

Speaking of retelling Spider-Man's origin, anybody ever wonder where that spider that got caught in the radiation and bit Peter came from? Like, what was it doing there before it bit Peter? A good one-shot or short arc could be made from solving that little mystery, and in light of Mark Millar's run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man explaining that there was a consortium of corrupt industrialists and politicians that were making super-villains to keep the nascent superhero population distracted from their own, greater crimes against the public, I'm thinking that angle could be worked into the revised origin. Given that colleges accept grant money from all sorts of institutions and much of that comes with certain conditional arrangements for the benefit of said institutions, who's to say that Empire State University couldn't have accepted grant money from the consortium and then been compelled by virtue of that to let the consortium stage certain secret experiments onsite? The spider would have been a product of those experiments, modified by the consortium's scientists as an early stage of a super-soldier experiment, and like in Ultimate Spider-Man's origin, it slipped out of its confines and crept into the area where the radiation experiment that Peter Parker was attending, only to get poisoned by the radiation . . . which actually catalyzed the substance already inside the spider, thus explaining how Peter could get spider-powers instead of death by radiation poisoning. And after all these years, the consortium is ready to collect on its investment. . . .

2/1/2013 #18
O.N 4

That would be a nice fic to read.

2/1/2013 #19
Rider Paladin

Yeah. After watching my Daredevil Director's Cut DVD, I was inspired for another alternative take on Spider-Man's origin, borrowing details from Daredevil's origin. Peter's still a brilliant, scientifically minded young man, but he and his family live in a pretty tough neighborhood that's seen better days and the neighborhood bullies (the older ones having aspirations to join the local gangs) pick on him a lot. Ben Parker tries to teach Peter right from wrong and that with great power comes great responsibility, but financial desperation causes him to betray his principles for a little extra money to provide for Peter's college fund. Peter unfortunately bears witness to one of his uncle's off-the-books favors to the local Mafioso, and in his horror and heartbreak, he stumbles onto a scene of waste disposal workers furtively dumping a unique Oscorp-created isotope into the river. Unbeknownst to them, one of the barrels has a leak in it and Peter is bitten by a spider that's been eating the leaking isotope, his shout of pain alerting the workers and causing them to panic for fear of exposure, further complicating an already precarious situation.

In the end, Peter is taken to the hospital by Ben and the EPA gets alerted to the dumping of the isotope, only to be stonewalled by Oscorp's insistence that it was a rogue contractor that Oscorp has since released from its contract and refusal to identify or address the nature of the isotope being dumped into the river. As for Peter, he is kept in quarantine for his hospital stay to ensure that he hasn't been poisoned or is contagious, and after being assured that he's neither, he's released to his Uncle Ben's custody, though their relationship is strained after what Peter saw him do. An increasingly withdrawn and self-isolated Peter discovers that the isotope mixed into the venom of the spider that bit him has given him the proportional abilities of that same spider --- speed, agility, dexterity, wall-crawling, boosted information-processing abilities and nerve conduction velocity resulting in such accelerated reaction time that he might as well be precognitive, and the bodily strength and integrity to handle all the complex maneuvering and positioning required with such abilities. Sadly, while out prowling the city with his new abilities, Peter stumbles onto Uncle Ben being beaten to death and instinctively leaps to defend him, realizing that in spite of his bitterness toward Ben for betraying the principles he tried to instill in Peter, he still loves him.

Unfortunately, Ben's injuries are already fatal, giving him only enough time to apologize to Peter and to confess that he was going to turn state's evidence, reveal to the feds the hidden floors he used to set up in various office buildings as secret meeting places for local crime lords when he worked as an architect. This was why he was accosted and beaten to death by one of those crime lords' enforcers and in reality, the "deal" Peter caught Uncle Ben making that sent him off running into an Oscorp dump site and a spider bite was actually with a federal agent for Peter's and Aunt May's safety. Ashamed of just how badly he's misjudged his own Uncle Ben, Peter can do nothing but scream for help, despite the fact that in a neighborhood like theirs, there's nobody to hear them who'll care to do anything.

After giving his statement to the police, who also inform May Parker of Ben's death and Peter's current state, Peter is left in her care, and they move in with Anna Watson, an old friend of May's, and her niece Mary Jane. However, Peter is far from ready to let go of the anger festering inside him over Ben's death and the guilt he feels for not preventing it, and as such, he develops a costumed identity modeled after the very spider that bit him, using it as an avatar of justice (or vengeance) against the criminal underworld that murdered his Uncle Ben after forcing him to compromise the principles Ben spent his life trying to teach Peter. While seeking out his uncle's killers and cutting a vengeful swath through the underworld as the amazing Spider-Man, Peter Parker has to adjust to a new school --- seemingly cleaner and with far greater scientific resources and computer facilities than his old one, but much too similar to his old school in terms of the social hierarchy and the seeming impunity given to student-athletes like his new arch-nemesis Flash Thompson. He does however make a friend in Harry Osborn, son of Oscorp CEO Norman Osborn, who's taken a special interest in Peter since finding out his part in the EPA's discovery of his dump site and offered to atone for his company's role in Peter's fateful accident by giving him a full-ride scholarship to any university of his choice and special recommendations for any scientific company he wishes to work for after college (subtly implying that he wishes Peter to choose Oscorp).

When May hears of this, she's touched by Norman's seeming eagerness to make things up to Peter by helping him succeed in his dream of becoming a scientist, but the more world-weary Anna surmises that Norman is instead trying to buy Peter off. Further, Peter's developing friendship with Harry leads him to believe that Norman isn't nearly as beneficent as he likes to act, given how little attention he seems to pay to Harry while bestowing so much of it upon Peter himself, much to Harry's distress and growing resentment. And all the while, Spider-Man is getting closer to the crime ring that killed Ben Parker, but will it mean getting farther and farther away from making the best of Peter Parker's life, particularly when his Aunt May and Anna and Mary Jane all start questioning his nighttime habits and whereabouts?

4/28/2013 #20
O.N 4

4/28/2013 #21
Rider Paladin

Glad you like that idea.

4/30/2013 #22
O.N 4

Hey all of your ideas are awesome.

5/1/2013 #23
The original origin states he gained the spider's powers from its venom, so it was a poisonous spider, possibly a black widow. At any rate it was a large black spider. I believe the idea it was a common house spider comes from the Official Guide to the Marvel Universe, which also said the Hulk could only leap a few hundred feet when he's been seen jumping over a mile, and stated Spider-Man was stronger than Iron Man, which surprised a lot of fans.
8/14/2013 #24
Rider Paladin

Hmm, large black spider? Are we talking black widows or some other similarly colored spider species?

8/15/2013 #25
O.N 4

I thought the spider was genetically modified and that's what caused it appearance.

8/15/2013 #26
Not in the original story. It was a normal spider that crawled down on its web in the path of a device shooting a ray of radiation. Steve Ditko drew it as a large black spider in 1962. It bit him, he staggered outside dizzy, walked into the street, and a car almost ran him over. He jumped out of the way and realized he was clinging to a wall. The two unnamed idiots in the car laughed at how they scared him and didn't notice how far he'd jumped. A little boy tried to tell his mother there was a man climbing up a wall but she didn't bother to look and dragged him off yelling no more monster movies. The idea it was genetically altered wasn't made until over thirty years later. At the time Spider-Man was made a lot of movies had just been coming out about creatures mutated by radiation, including giant spiders, ants, scorpions, leeches, a Gila monster, and shrews. It was an extremely popular idea back then. An unexplained radioactive mist made someone shrink until he disappeared in The Incredible Shrinking Man, and a bomb turned a man into a 60 foot giant in The Amazing Colossal Man which was popular enough to get a sequel War of the Colossal Beast. It was many years before the public realized radiation didn't work that way, and stories like Spider-Man's origin had to be rewritten.
8/15/2013 #27
Rider Paladin

And let's not forget about Godzilla, Japan's seminal kaiju. Oh, and radiation also gave us the Fantastic Four (cosmic) and the Incredible Hulk (gamma) and was credited/blamed for the rise of the mutant population (atom bomb experiments in WWII, dropping said bomb on Japan).

8/15/2013 #28
O.N 4

Radiation humanity greatest hope for super powers.

8/15/2013 #29
Rider Paladin

And now it's genetic engineering or other sorts of transhumanistic bodily augmentations.

8/15/2013 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rider Paladin
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member