Species, all instalments
Place for discussion of Species franchise, fanfic ideas and whatever else.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Named Pen

In the psychology of the child of the species? What with their rapid growth and their predatory nature.

6/12/2012 #1
Biggles1111

Hm, that's an interesting point. Haven't really thought of that...I think it's clear from the movie(s) that they find it somewhat traumatizing when they enter the state of maturing, so clearly there's some sort of...ignorance towards their true nature, at first.

Something I've put more thought into though is...where did they come from? They were sent to us, but by whom? Perhaps the Engineers, from Prometheus? :p Who knows...

We could use some more Species fanfics, tbh...

6/13/2012 #2
VulpineSnow

Hm... I've watched all the films, and I really only like the first and fourth one. The first was, well, decent, shifting perspectives between the humans hunting Sil for survival, and the fourth was also decent, having a plot involving a father/uncle figure trying to save the life of the hybrid he raised. The second? Eh... too much gore and... other things... while the third was dull.

I'd prefer to not count Patrick's brood, aside from Sarah. They just seemed so... needlessly violent. Sil herself, in the original, became violent from her surroundings, but it was all rooted to desperate survival. Her child... well, it was newly born. It didn't have a concept of morality and so forth. Patrick's kids... they grew faster than even Sil's child. I think Patrick got infected with a different strain, considering that Sil had a child whom didn't seem all that unhealthy, with a human, while with Patrick's kids, again, aside from Sarah, whom was with Sil's double, Eve, they are literally falling apart at the seams.

Some weird, weird part of me views it as this. Two warring species from the same planetary area, one wanting to invade -Patrick's infection- and one wanting to survive -Sil and Eve. In Hollywood, however, humans are always shown to be on the xenophobic side, and that's what set off the chain reaction of the films' events. Strange as it may seem, evidence gives Sil, whom did try to lay low and plan to a point, to me of the more docile strain, while Patrick, whom did try to off himself, changed completely into a dominating rapist.

Ah, but the question, and my answer to it:

I think that they do run on instinct as predators, and because of so few of them existing, they haven't been taught how to manage their predatory nature. Sil, Eve, and Sarah WERE taught how to manage themselves, in ways... As for Miranda? Oh, I think it had something to do with being transferred from one dying body into a new body, and in the one guy's words, she became a new, "pure creature"...

6/21/2012 #3
Named Pen

We didn't see any behaviour of Patrick's kids in the 2nd film.

6/22/2012 #4
VulpineSnow

We saw their behavoir in the third film, though. The were desperate and violent...

6/22/2012 #5
Named Pen

Would have been interesting to see them do stuff in second film.

6/22/2012 #6
VulpineSnow

True, true...

The thing I don't get it that, as pointed out on TVTropes, because of their sickly nature, it seems to nullify the threat of the first film's premise again... Was it different Strain, like I originally theorized, or did it have something to do with the species of the mother? Sil was a hybrid, the woman Patrick mated with were human.

6/22/2012 #7
Named Pen

Also did Patrick have any daughters? Other than Sara?

6/22/2012 #8
VulpineSnow

He had at least one, and that was the antagonistic hybrid brunette in the third film. Aside from her, I'm not sure.

6/22/2012 #9
Named Pen

And why did they all cocoon at once?

6/22/2012 #10
VulpineSnow

Not all. One at the end didn't. I'm guessing it was for plot convenience.

6/22/2012 #11
Named Pen

I suspect the implication originally was the boy in the ambulance would take the baby and later they'd mate.

6/22/2012 #12
VulpineSnow

I'm guessing that was its plan. XD Thank you, interfering human man whom raised Sarah!

6/22/2012 #13
Named Pen

Wonder where they got those potato sacks, underwear and logically required foodXD

6/22/2012 #14
VulpineSnow

Patrick has his sources.

6/22/2012 #15
Named Pen

Wonder what they did all day.

6/22/2012 #16
VulpineSnow

Not sure at all.

6/22/2012 #17
Named Pen

Now that could be an interesting fic...

6/22/2012 #18
VulpineSnow

Could be...

6/22/2012 #19
Twilightroxas7

I seen a few black hair girls with some boys.

11/1/2014 #20
Forum Moderators: Named Pen
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member