The Hatrack River Branch
From the Enderverse to Alvin Maker, Homecoming to Pastwatch, OSC's IG Medicine Show to the real man himself, visit this branch of the 'Rack to discuss the big man and his works...this is the ultimate Cardboard! Check it out today!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Koraden
I'm curious to see how much everyone's read of OSC. I've read his major series (Ender, Shadow, Maker, Homecoming) and the stand-alone books Pastwatch, Magic Street, Enchantment, Songmaster, Treasure Box, and the Worthing Saga. I've also checked out some of his short stories like Lost Boys and the Enderverse ones.

So far I'd have to say my favorite book by Orson Scott Card is Speaker for the Dead, and tied for second Ender's Game/Shadow. I really like the characterization in these books, especially with Ender's character, and I've always been a scifi buff, so I enjoy reading about the mileau.

So what have you read? And which book is your favorite?

2/27/2006 #1
Hanako Tabris
Long-time forumer, first time here. I've read the following Mr. Card books:

Ender's Game

Speaker for the Dead

Xenocide

Children of the Mind

Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hedgemon

Shadow Puppets

Shadow of the Giant

Treasure Box

Homebody

Magic Street

Lost Boys

I'm also getting Stone Tables soon. I hope.

Out of all of them, I'd say that Xenocide is my favorite. It had rare doses of humor, at least to me.

3/7/2006 #2
elephantsrocmysox
Ok. I've read:

Ender's Game

Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hedgemon

Shadow Puppets

I've tried to get into Speaker for the Dead, but I couldn't get into them.

O yes I forgot to mention my favorite! Silly me.

It's probably the orginal: Ender's Game

4/10/2006 . Edited 4/10/2006 #3
Goldylokz
I've read:

Ender's Game

Speaker for the Dead

Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon

Shadow Puppets

Shadow of the Giant

First Meetings

Enchantment

Ender's Shadow series and Enchantment being my favorites. Only one of the shorts in First Meetings I found interesting and that was the one with John Paul.

6/20/2006 #4
Goldylokz
I've tried to get into Speaker for the Dead, but I couldn't get into them.

I also found Ender's series hard to get into. I just found Speaker for the Dead so boring that I didn't want to go on.

6/20/2006 #5
Hanako Tabris
When I first picked up Speaker, it was a rather boring book. I nearly gave up on it during the first four chapters. The story line of Novinha didn't interest me. It was really once Ender came on the scene that the book picked up for me. Then I couldn't put it down.

I like the Ender series more than the Bean series. In fact, it took me a month to get through Shadow of the Hegemon. And even then, I didn't like it. I still bought it though for collectability sake. I read all the books from both sides, as I said before. It's just that the Ender series is the one I keep coming back to.

My favorite short story from First Meetings is "Investment Counseler". I guess because of the pictures for that story. oO

6/22/2006 #6
Ember Nickel
All of the Ender/Shadow books (including First Meetings), Homecoming, and Hart's Hope. Favorite would be the original Ender's Game.
8/25/2006 #7
AchillesMonkey
Ender's Game

Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon

Speaker for the Dead

Xenocide

Shadow Puppets

Shadow of the Giant

Seventh Son

Red Prophet

Prentice Alvin

Alvin Journeyman

Heartfire

I'm in the middle of The Crystal City. I've been taking a break from it to read a new author that I was introduced to. I also started Children of the Mind, but it didn't hold my interest. I might finish it someday, but for now I'm not. He's an amazing author though. One of my favorites.

I looked at Songmaster at a bookstore, but didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if it was part of a series or not. Has anyone read it? Is it any good?

9/27/2006 #8
lina-tone
Ender's Game

Ender's Shadow

Speaker for the Dead

Seventh Son

I loved all of the books! I'm just a big Orson Scott Card fan. I will most definitely have to check out these other books here. I have to say, as far as favorites go, they almost all were equal, except something about "Speaker for the Dead" really caught my eye. It beats out the others for me by just a little. Really, though, they were all fantastic! Their complexity, characterizations, plots, and themes are all so thought provoking and just... fun to wrap your mind around!

9/23/2007 #9
Black-Dragon1003
I've read:

Ender's Game

Speaker for the Dead

Xenocide

Children of the Mind

Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon

Shadow Puppets

Shadow of the Giant

Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus

Empire

Treasure Box

Magic Street

Songmaster

Maps in a Mirror: The Short Fiction of Orson Scott Card

Treason

First Meetings in Ender's Universe

Seventh Son

Red Prophet

Prentice Alvin

Alvin Journeyman

Heartfire

The Crystal City

I think that's it, but I can't remember if I read any other stand-alone books that I don't own. The first book I read was Pastwatch, and my favorite is Ender's Game, with Empire in a close second. But OSC is my favorite author, and all his books are great to me!

2/24/2008 #10
Wheatbread

I've only read Ender's Game, and an obscure one that I haven't seen mentioned yet (though I only skimmed the entries for it)...a collection of related short stories called Folk of the Fringe. If anyone is interested, I really enjoyed the book, even though it is about post-apocalyptic Mormons trying to survive in a severely damaged world. I learned things about Mormons that I didn't know. I love OSC's use of third person and think he's a genius for character development.

4/12/2008 #11
Addiction.to.reading

This is my first time for posting in ffnet, so if I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.

I've only read Ender's Game, Xenocide, and First Meetings in the Enderverse, because that's pretty much all they have of that series at my library. But they have the Alvin Maker series, so I'm planning on reading that one. But my absolute favourite book by Card would be Songmaster. I think it's a very beautiful, very emotional book and I was tearing up at the end of it. Ender's Game is second, really really well written.

9/13/2010 #12
reader300

Hi! I've read Ender's Game and Shadow (A really long time ago, but loved them then), and I recently got back into his books and read the first two books of the Homecoming Series and just read Pastwatch. I loved that book, it was so interesting seeing what could have happened if Columbus acted differently/people were faced with changing the past. (Addiction.to.reading...Nothing to worry about, Welcome to fanfiction! (sorry guess its a little late... :) )

1/26/2011 #13
RadicalTurnip

Enders Game

Speaker for the Dead

Xenocide

Children of the Mind

First Meetings

A War of Gifts

Enders Shadow

Shadow of the Hedgemon

Shadow Puppets

Shadows of the Giant

The Memory of Earth

The Call of Earth

The Ships of Earth

Earthfall

Earthborn

Seventh Son

Red Prophet

Prentice Alvin

Alvin Journeyman

Heartfire

The Crystal City

Empire

Hidden Empire

Wyrms

Hart's Hope

Treason

Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus

The Lost Gate

The Worthing Saga

Pathfinder

Songmaster

Treasure Box

Homebody

Enchantment

Magic Street

The Folk of the Fringe

Maps in a Mirror (Collection of Short Stories)

Keeper of Dreams

How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy

Favorite? Probably Hart's Hope? Ender and Speaker are both really good though.

11/15/2012 . Edited 11/15/2012 #14
Locke II

Ender's Game

Speaker for the Dead

Xenocide

Children of the Mind

Ender in Exile

Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon

Shadow Puppets

Shadow of the Giant

Earth Unaware

Pastwatch: the Redemption of Christopher Colombus

Pathfinder

The Memory of Earth

The Call of Earth

Currently reading: Enchantment

Favorite: Pathfinder

4/5/2013 #15
Aunt.Sue.Nihg.Charthaigh

Sounds pretty much like my list, Koraden. My favorite in SF/Fantasy novels is Songmaster. It was the first of his I read and it hooked me good! Of his horror, there's a short story he wrote in competition with King. Darned if I can come up with the name of it offhand, but the novel Lost Boys is closest to its flavor. Maybe you can help me. (spoilers!) The ending finds the little boy is actually dead, and has been hanging around so his dad wouldn't grieve.

I've also read his women of the old testament novels. They're really good. The novelization of the movie, Abyss was masterful. It's the only novelization I've ever seen that augments its movie. I've only read the one writer's manual, How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy but it's worth the purchase in hardbound. I doubt there is anything Card puts his hand to that lacks for excellence, although Homecoming was a bit boring IMO. I used to love the Ender series, but he wrote so many fluff pieces to go with it that I've lost my passion for it.

3/10 #16
Aunt.Sue.Nihg.Charthaigh

Goldylokz, Speaker for the Dead isn't the first in that series. That's most likely why you found it hard to get into.

3/10 #17
Forum Moderators: Koraden
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member