Welcome to The Anti-Plagiarism Investigation Reports (TAPIR), a reporting group primarily focusing on plagiarism cases on FFN. The TAPIR forum is a support and report group, and is run by volunteers. We were also previously known by the names of "The Plagiarism Report" and "The Avenger's Plagiarism Investigation Reports"
Update 6 July 2020:
If you have received a private message or an e-mail linking you to this thread and/or a specific case thread, please be advised of the following:
Hopefully this clears up the confusion that seems to occur when sending notification to original authors linking this thread for the template and the specific case thread detailing how they were plagiarised.
The Anti-Plagiarism Investigation Reports FAQ :
What is TAPIR?
TAPIR is a forum dedicated to reporting, investigating and documenting plagiarism cases on Fanfiction.net. The forum provides a single consolidated location to discuss, collect and docket evidence of plagiarism so that the required information can be easily presented to others and also the FFN admins in order for action to be taken against the plagiarists responsible.
Our main objective is to protect the rights of creators on FFN, and we also provide assistance to victims of plagiarism, whether by guiding them through the reporting process, convincing the plagiarist to take the stolen work down, or by pressuring the FFN admins to take action on the offender.
What does TAPIR do?
We do the following:
Starting 2014, TAPIR no longer handles non-plagiarism copyright infringement cases and all CI cases have been moved. Anyone look to report those should go to the CIR forum
How does TAPIR work?
Whenever someone comes across a case of suspected plagiarism, or experiences plagiarism of their works, they post to the Tip Thread. Moderators will start a new thread (called a case thread) on the forum reporting the offense.
(Please note: if a thread already exists for the account you are trying to report, you may update that thread with the current case of plagiarism. If you cannot identify a prior case thread, or aren't sure if the account is a recurrence of a previous plagiarist whose account was deleted by FFN's admins, posting in the Tip Thread is recommended.)
There is a specific format to follow for posting plagiarism (see How to Section), but at the very least, the following information must be provided:
If a plagiarist happens to have sock puppet accounts or other accounts on which they are committing plagiarism, please list those known to you and how you know them to be the same user.
TAPIR moderators will usually investigate a newly posted tip and verify if there is a plausible case of plagiarism. Contributors can also discuss progress of the case and post any new evidence and communications from the suspect plagiarist to the thread until the verified case is resolved by the plagiarist removing the story or having their account deleted by Fanfiction.net's site administrators.
TAPIR case threads are not deleted even if the plagiarized story is resolved. Instead the case it closed and tagged [Resolved:] and the former plagiarist will be left alone, although a resolved case may be reactivated again and new contact initiated if new plagiarism activity is detected by the same account.
How do I check whether the plagiarist I am reporting has already been reported?
Google for the phrase "FFNID [FFN UserID]", [FFN UserID] being the number that appears in the plagiarist profile. For example if the plagiarist was:
Then you should google for "FFNID 12345678". Include the quotation marks. Most of the time you should get a hit on the case in question. If on occasion Google fails you can also search the first few pages of the forum for the user's FFNID.
If you think there is a prior case thread but cannot identify it with either of these methods, please note that when you make your report in the Tip Thread. Please note why you think there might be a prior thread (penname, FFNID, material stolen, etc.) so that forum moderators know how to search the forum for the previous (or currently open) case.
What do I do if a story is plagiarized from copyrighted material?
If it is plagiarised, the case is posted to TAPIR. If it is not plagiarism, it will be posted to CIR. If you aren't sure whether the amount lifted from a copyrighted source constitutes plagiarism, you may post in either forum tip thread and the moderators will determine which forum would be better suited to the report. Please do not post the tip to both forum threads.
Please note: TAPIR minimums for taking on cases of copyright infringement are not the criteria used by Fanfiction.net's or Fictionpress.com's site administrators. Therefore, just because TAPIR / CIR do not pursue a case where fifty words of a five hundred word copyrighted song are included does not mean that the website administrators will not remove the reported story for copyright violations.
How do I apply to become a member of TAPIR and/or CIR?
TAPIR is an anti-plagiarism forum and does not work like a normal reporting group. The forum exists to provide a centralized place for people who are interested in fighting plagiarism and CI to collaborate, document evidence, and keep track of plagiarism cases. There no exclusive membership application requirements to be able to use the forum, other than adherence to the forum rules. Users of the forum may be one-time contributors or regulars. They may or may not be members of other reporting groups.
We generally have no issue with whatever other activities a contributor may have indulged in previously and only judge users by their contributions to the forum itself and their actions and conduct on related plagiarism cases. We do not restrict members of other reporting groups from contributing to TAPIR. The information contained in our case threads are open to all to be used in filing reports to the FFN admin.
Contributors are expected to be civil when interacting with any of the suspected individuals and observe decorum while on the TAPIR forum. If you have inter-group politics or grudges, please leave them at the door.
The only people who can be considered 'members' of TAPIR/CIR are 'members of staff' such as the forum and C2 moderators.
Please note: Users of TAPIR/CIR forums do not represent or speak on behalf of TAPIR/CIR unless they are members of staff. Members of staff such as moderators will have their names listed on the bottom of the forum.
Anyone using TAPIR cases as an excuse to abuse (verbal also counts) another user of FFN or threaten them with violence will be banned and reported to the authorities, regardless of whether that other user was a plagiarist or not. Fighting plagiarism is not an excuse to act like a bully and such behavior will not be tolerated on this forum.
Complaints can be lodged by PM to the Forum Admin or on the relevant case thread the harassment occurred on.
How else you can help
Rules and The List of Things That Get You Banned on TAPIR/CIR
How to File a Report:
1) Gather evidence that content was plagiarized. Try to do this before reviewing on suspect's work.
What Counts As Evidence:
2) Check author's profile for evidence of more than one plagiarized story. It is our experience that where one story has been plagiarised, many have. For example: cbustroyer, Master D. Zephyr, podlepoof, miguelnuva. (There are many more, those are just a few cases recently reported on / resolved.)
3) Take screenshots / screen captures of plagiarised work in case the suspect decides to delete the evidence. To include the links to these in your tip, please remove the h t t p : / / from the beginning of the web address (URL) (or h t t p s : / /). This will allow the link to be visible in your post. Please feel free to check the screens listed in the above linked case threads for examples. Please also note that we need more than just the plagiarised copy to show as evidence to Fanfiction.net's administrators. We must be able to provide them the original text for comparison.
4) Make a post on the Tip Thread, with the following information filled in at the top of your post: Report FFNID (Insert plagiarist FFN ID here) - (plagiarist name here) - (Optional tag: Fandom here)
5) The FFNID can be located from the suspect's profile page URL, as seen here: cdn-images.imagevenue.com/e0/c9/a1/ME12XRKF_o.jpg. This information is necessary as plagiarists will often change their names in an effort to avoid detection. If all we have is the profile link with the tilde (~) in it, we won't be able to find them once the name is changed (provided they've also deleted and reposted the story, which is another common tactic).
6) Optional tags: You can also add the following tags to indicate additional information about the case:
Tags for marking closed cases (Moderator or thread owner only):
Mod tags. These tags are to be used by mods only.
FFNID 123456789 - Plagiarist - Literary Thief Adventures - [Active]
What Counts As Evidence:
Important Points To Note:
Email Report Templates:
Reader's Report Template
This is the standard format I've been using as of 2021 when sending an e-mail report of plagiarism to support [at] fanfiction [dot] com or support [at] fictionpress [dot] com if it involves a Fictionpress account. (Both when warranted.)
Subject: [abuse] Intellectual Property Theft by [user name]
And if you wish, you may sign your name and/or FFN/FP screen name.
Standard TAPIR Report All Stories Template
Dear FFN Admins,
DMCA takedown Email Template (owners only)
This email template was kindly provided by Tikatu. In the event that you have been plagiarized, you are advised to send an email to FFN support.
Copy paste and fill out the relevant portions as required.
FanFiction.net Copyright Infringement Notification
It should be sent to copyright [at] fanfiction [dot] com. The subject should be "Copyright Infringement Notification"
"I have a good faith belief that the use of the copyrighted work described above is not authorized by the copyright owner (or by a third party who is legally entitled to do so on behalf of the copyright owner) and is not otherwise permitted by law."
must appear in the complaint.
**********Important notice before using the above template**********
If your story contains any violations of the Fanfiction.net Terms of Service or Community Guidelines, you will need to make it compliant prior to using this template. If your story contains copyrighted material such as song lyrics or dialogue from the fandom in which you write (which would not fall under a "pop culture" umbrella), we do not recommend using the template. Xing (FFN's owner) and his staff can - and have - remove(d) both the original and plagiarised copies of stories due to such violations. We recommend making your story compliant prior to filing a report using the above template.
DMCA Takedown template for items stolen from fictionpress (Owners only)
I hereby confirm that I believe the story identified below infringes my copyright.
DMCA Takedown template for original fiction from other websites (stolen content posted on Fanfiction.net or Fictionpress.com)
I hereby confirm that I believe the story identified below infringes my copyright.
The template should be sent by the original authors to copyright [at] fanfiction.com (not net). I suggest the subject line "Infringement of my copyright on Fanfiction.net" or "DMCA Takedown Notification in re [the account(s) your filing a complaint on]".1/4/2013 . Edited by RogueMudblood, 5/18 #2
Reglas del foro y como archivar un reporte de plagio.
Como archivar un reporte
Qué cuenta como evidencia:
Sugerencias al dejar Review:
Puntos importantes a notar:
Terminando reportes y cerrando casos:
Si el plagiador elimina todo el contenido robado y deja de publicar contenido que no sea suyo, el caso se considerará cerrado y el reporte será movido al tema Case Closed/caso cerrado
Useful Resources and Affiliates
FanFiction Content Guidelines:
The chapter system is not to be used as placeholder for non-story content such as author notes. You can add short author notes to the beginning or at the end of stories but never as individual chapters.
FictionPress to publish your non-fanfiction literary works. Please visit FictionPress to publish your non-fanfiction literary works.
Do not upload chapters, series, or segments of a story as separate entries. In order to submit a 5 chapter story, for example, use the 'Create Story' page to submit chapter 1, and then use the 'Edit/Upload chapter' feature in the left menu, after login, to submit chapters 2 through 5.
Entries not allowed:
Actions not allowed:
How to Report FFN Copyright Violation (To Be Submitted by Original Author Only)
(From the FFN TOS)
8. Copyright Policy
As part of FanFiction.Net's copyright policy, FanFiction.Net may terminate user access to the Website if a user has been determined to be an infringer. To file a copyright infringement notification with us, you will need to send a communication to us with all of the following information in it, using this format:
Please also note that the information provided in this legal notice may be forwarded to the person who provided the allegedly infringing content.
Make sure you know whether the content that you have seen on FanFiction.Net infringes your copyright. Be aware that there may be adverse legal consequences in your country if you make a false or bad faith allegation of copyright infringement by using this process.
2/10/2013 . Edited 11/25/2014 #5
Updated the how to section. Main changes:
If anyone has suggestions on how to improve the process further, welcome to post in chat thread.2/20/2013 . Edited 2/20/2013 #6
The below is a copy of a communication from the FFN admin, Zack, regarding the use of copyrighted passages in fanfiction on FFN:
Subject: Query regarding novelizations and quotation of copyrighted dialogue in fanfiction
This should settle any disputes regarding the copyright issue. All parties are welcome to reproduce this correspondence, but we request that the message be left intact and unedited.8/10/2013 #7
On the reporting of stories plagiarized to/from AFF (http//www.adult-fanfiction.net)
The admin and moderator of AFF have indicated that for the reporting of plagiarism involving AFF:
The best method is to email us directly at tos_team at adult-fanfiction dot org. That way, should it be a live plagiarist, we can preserve any data on our site, take screenshots, and be prepared to substantiate any action such as account deletion.
Accordingly, should a case involve a FFN fic plagiarized by someone on AFF, or (more commonly) an AFF fic plagiarized by someone on FFN, emails with the evidence should be sent to adult-fanfiction dot org.
If the plagiarized story is on AFF, the AFF admins should be able to take action on the violating accounts
If the plagiarized story is on FFN, please note that the AFF admins will not be able to take action, but should be able to inform the original authors and hopefully advise them on how to file a DMCA with the FFN site.5/19/2014 . Edited 8/7/2014 #8
(Originally posted on the Admin thread. Reposted for documentation purposes. Updated Feb 2015 for new moderators)
Dear TAPIR and CIR members,
An official statement with regards to relations between TAPIR and Critics United reporting group
Disclaimer: TAPIR is not interested in conflict with the CU and would prefer to stay on neutral terms with them and all other groups.
However, due to a series of misunderstandings, misconceptions and unpleasant PM incidents between various individuals from both sides, we feel it is finally necessary to bring this matter out into the open and clarify the state of things to prevent any further conflicts between the CU and TAPIR/CIR.
Clarification On Membership of TAPIR and CIR
1. TAPIR and CIR operate as open forums. Anyone and everyone, regardless of group affiliation, background or history is welcome to post unless/until they break the rules of conduct.
2. Anyone who does break the rules of conduct of the forum is banned according to the severity of the infraction and is denied posting privileges.
3. TAPIR and CIR do not have a standard member roster and the only people who count as members are our official staff. In case there is any confusion due to language, when we say 'member' we mean 'member of staff'. Not a special class of non-staff members. Does not exist.
4. Posters, volunteers and visitors, no matter how regular, do not speak for the group, and any action on their part is as an individual.
5. The only people who speak for the group are those who have been assigned as staff. In other words, the moderators of the TAPIR forum and the CIR subforum. You can see their names listed at the bottom of the forums. That is our member list.
For the full list of current and inactive TAPIR/CIR staff, please see the Admin Thread.
6. Just like any other normal forum, we have no jurisdiction on the behavior of non-staff outside the forum. If a non-staff poster who posted on TAPIR or CIR misbehaves outside the forum, we trust that the moderators and admins there will deal with them as they see fit.
(In other words, if they misbehave elsewhere, you have our blessing to block/ban/report their asses.)
The Alleged 'Deal' Between Soul of Paladin, CU admin, and HorusTheAvenger, TAPIR/CIR admin
1. Contrary to the claims that have been floating around, we have not agreed to any kind of deal where anyone affiliated with TAPIR is NEVER to contact any member of CU for any reason whatsoever.
2. The only thing we can find or remember that even comes close to resembling the "zero contact" agreement claims are the following statements, which were made through PM around June 2013 after a disagreement between the TAPIR admin and one member of CU administration:
"If one of our staff misbehaves by going to the CU forums and deliberately trolling, or making false accusations about the activities of the CU, or pretending to impersonate CU members and raising trouble off-site with hopes of inciting a mob against the CU, we will take stern action. If one of our staff expresses an unflattering opinion about the CU in a non-CU forum, however, they are well within their rights to have their opinion, just as it is the right of the managers of that forum in question to decide whether such behavior is appropriate and act accordingly. We will still censure the member of staff if we find reason to believe that the remark was made with bad intentions, however, but that will be left to our discretion, not anyone else's.
"If CU administration as a whole decides that they do not wish to work with TaPiR, that is fine. We will respect their decision and that of your current admin. If they should wish to change their mind, will reiterate that we are always willing to work with the CU on plagiarism cases regardless, because for us, this is not about inter-group politics, this is about helping people who have been plagiarized."
In other words,
A) TAPIR does not interfere with how CU runs their forum and CU administration no longer interferes with how TAPIR runs their forum.
B) If someone from one forum goes over to start trouble, they will be actioned upon.
C) The CU administration does not wish to work with TAPIR administration on plagiarism cases, we will respect that decision and not work with them on plagiarism cases.
Unfortunately, there is nothing in these statements about having zero contact between all members of both groups, regardless of the subject matter or in a personal capacity.
3. The CU admin's own interpretation of the agreed terms is to quote: "you both came to the conclusion of staying out of each other's way I don't see the need to drag this further. [CU staff] is not going to get involved with your group any more than the pms he sent you and I imagine it's the same on your part" and "it was agreed between Horus and us that CU members would stay out of your way, and vice versa."
4. However, there seems to be some misunderstanding on what constitutes as 'staying out of each other's way'. We interpreted this as 'TAPIR staff will not interfere with how CU runs their forum and handles their cases as long as they do the same and stop interfering with how we run our forum'.
On the other hand, some members of CU have chosen to interpret this as "TAPIR members are not allowed to contact CU members", which is probably the source of the confusion.
5. Unfortunately, when it was attempted to contact CU administration to clarify this misunderstanding, the CU admin chose to cut off all communications with TAPIR administration by blocking PMs right after sending a message we could not open to read.
6. Another unfortunate complication of this choice of action is that it threw entire deal into questionable validity, since there was no clear confirmation from both parties as to what exact terms it entailed.
7. It also should be mentioned that in any kind of normal negotiation, the action of one party blocking the other in the middle of discussion concerning said deal would have signaled an end to that deal and any existing 'deals'.
8. For future reference, if the CU administration wants TAPIR to uphold any kind of 'agreement' in any aspect, channels of communication need to remain open at both ends. Otherwise, no deals are possible when it remains so unclear upon what the exact terms of the deal. If things are not clear and accessible to both patries, too much unnecessary drama arises as a result.
9. We would also like to address claims from any individuals that TAPIR administration and/or HorusTheAvenger "is hostile towards the CU as a whole" are also false.
As far as we are aware, we have only ever had communication with 2 members of the CU administration that had less then friendly outcomes, and even then, from our end it never escalated to hostility. We have never blocked either of those individuals from the CU from PMing us.
10. Despite the unfortunate misunderstandings that have occurred, we still hold no grudge against the CU. We have always advocated friendly cooperation with members of the CU and will continue to do so.
Moving On With the CU
1. If it is desired that the CU as a whole is to have zero contact from anyone vaguely affiliated with TAPIR, we would suggest that the CU administration make their stance on TAPIR clear by stating somewhere in their official rules: "CU members are to have no contact with anyone affiliated with TAPIR" and "Anyone with affiliations to TAPIR will be banned/blocked on sight" or something similar. This should prevent any further misunderstandings.
2. TAPIR administration will not be issuing any directive for posters of TAPIR and CIR to never contact any members of CU for whatever reason. Simply put, we don't have that right to tell visitors and posters who are not our staff who to hobnob with.
3. If a specific member of CU wishes to have no contact with TAPIR, then we will pass the word along to our staff members. However, this is on an individual basis, and does not apply to the CU as a whole.
4. If any other members of the CU desire no contact, they can forward their names to one of the TAPIR staff, and we will post a list in our admin thread and advise staff to leave these people alone. Staff who do not respect this requirement will be censured.
5. Members of the CU are welcome to post in the TAPIR forum or contact TAPIR staff and will be treated just like any other poster.
On Handling Cross-Posted Plagiarism Cases
1. TAPIR is content to work on our plagiarism cases with everyone, but as indicated by the CU, there should not be any offloading of cases to the CU as part of our standard procedure. While some members of staff might send useful information that might benefit both parties along, CU members can opt out with the above DO NOT CONTACT list.
2. However, if non-staff posters on the forum choose to bring cases already reported to TAPIR to the CU in their personal capacity, TAPIR administration has no say on the matter. How the CU chooses to treat these posters on the CU forum is their own business.
3. If someone reports a plagiarism or CI case to TAPIR or CIR, TAPIR will work on it regardless of whether it has already been reported to any other groups or not (including the CU). We do not see any reason to subscribe to case exclusivity. There is no territory here to fight over. This effort is about combating plagiarism and the more people involved helping, the better.
4. We also have no objection to anyone taking any of our plagiarism cases and working on it, or passing it to somewhere else. That is what the case threads are created for.
Warning: Impersonators of TAPIR and CIR
1. It has come to our attention that certain individuals have been going around impersonating TAPIR staff, the admin HorusTheAvenger, while others have claimed to be members of TAPIR/CIR when they are not.
2. As mentioned before, posting on the forum does not make one a member. A member is a 'member of staff' and you can see their names listed as moderators at the bottom of the TAPIR and CIR forums.
3. Please be advised that if a post or review is made anonymously and not signed in, it is pretty much safe to disregard it as the work of an impostor.
4. On impersonators using our name to threaten people with other kinds of infringement: If it's not plagiarism or infringement, we are not interested.
5. If you are not sure whether the post is genuine or not, feel free to verify with the forum staff.
It is hoped that by laying out these terms in clear, tangible format and openly so it can be verified by everyone instead of being hearsay in PMs, we can move on from the series of unfortunate misunderstandings and avoid any other unnecessary drama that would impede the effectiveness of both groups.
An addendum from RogueMudblood:
We hope that this makes clear that there is no ill-will from the staff of TAPIR or CIR to members of CU. There never has been. We hope that this makes clear that there is currently no clear directive in place regarding affiliations between posters of TAPIR or CIR and other users of FFN. We acknowledge that behavior among the moderators of these forums should maintain neutrality with regards to comments made regarding members of other reporting groups.
Though this statement focuses on the members of CU that is only because of past interaction with the above named individuals. Aspects of this statement should be understood to extend to all other reporting groups, specifically that
1) TAPIR does not interfere in the actions and methods of other reporting groups.
2) If someone from one forum goes over to start trouble, they will be actioned upon by the staff of that forum.
Staff members and volunteers in the TAPIR forum may not agree with other reporting groups, but this forum will not be used to start a "flame war" between groups and we expect the same courtesy.
We do not approve of trolling as a guest in reviews using the names of members of any forum in order to incite reactionary behavior.
We do not approve of creating "sock puppet" accounts in order to incite reactionary behavior in forums whose aim is to "take down" other reporting groups.
We will take action upon members of this forum when it is proven beyond reasonable doubt that they have engaged in such actions. "Reasonable doubt" is at our discretion, as it is our forum. Baseless accusations to this effect can and will result in reporting of the accusing account to the site administrators."
Thank you. Any questions, corrections, please PM.2/26/2015 . Edited 4/22/2015 #9
Contact Information to Report Plagiarism/Infringement of Published Content
(Work in progress. How To Thread remains unlocked while we flesh out this section -H.A.)
IMPORTANT: Do not include private email addresses of employees working for publishers or copyright companies. Only include contact information that is approved for sharing or that is publicly available.
THE BIG SIX
Harlequin Books: www.harlequin.com/
Contact Page: www.harlequin.com/articlepage.html?articleId=51&chapter=0
Harlequin uses Digimarc protection. Reports of all works published under Harlequin can be submitted to Digimarc even if one is not the original author.
www.digimarc.com/products/guardian/submit-report See notes under "Harper Collins".
Penguin Random House:
Random House cover Penguin and Bantam Books. For more info see www.randomhouse.com/
Their policy on copyright, transcription and reprint: permissions.randomhouse.com/
ENTIRE BOOK TRANSLATION AND REPRINT RIGHTS
Contact emails for rights management:
Simon and Schuster: www.simonandschuster.com/
Simon and Schuster has a 'Report Piracy' section:
From all indications, they also use Digimarc, reports can be submitted here
Harper Collins: www.harpercollins.com/
Harper Collins also uses Digimarc Protection. Plagiarized works published by Harper Collins should be reported through Digimarc:
Harper Collins no longer uses Digimarc. Reports can be submitted to them directly. This includes imprints Mills & Boon and Harlequin.
Hachette uses MarkMonitor to report piracy. Reports should use the email form at
Holtzbrinck does not seem to have any specific copyright address. Only resource is a generic email:
info(at)holtzbrinck(dot)com3/1/2015 . Edited by RogueMudblood, 5/9 #10
|O Long Johnson
I've used two of the following:
The Blair Partnership:
Represents J.K Rowling for any infringements, i.e RTB, gender-swaped verbatim copies, ect.
Contact send infringements to this email: info[at]theblairpartnership[dot]com
Deals with infringements against Disney owned series
Send infringements via tips[at]disneyantipiracy[dot]com. They don't reply back but take care of the infringements themselves.3/1/2015 #11
|Forum Moderators: HorusTheAvenger Mkis, A Wild Tapir, LadyRainFeather, Jeremy Hillary Boob, RogueMudblood, O Long Johnson|
|Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member|