Legi Forever!
All of those Legolas and Orlando Bloom fans out there are welcome!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
AJK200001

I have always wondered how old Legolas was supposed to be Physically.

I know that he is Immortal, and that he is over 2000 Elf Years Old, but how many Human Years would he Be?

Elrond and Galadriel are even older, like over 10,000 years old, but they look like they're in their early to mid Forties, which means that Elves do Age, just extremely Slowly.

Orlando Bloom was 23 when he first started playing Legolas, so would Legolas be around the same age, in Looks?

A similar topic is Hobbit Aging, which says that a Hobbit 33 Years Old, would be the Equivalent of a Human of 18 years.

What are your Thoughts?

2/5/2011 #1
Emerald Ryuu Feather

i'm just sayintg in the BOOK elron looks agles they dont look forties or what not thats was just bad casting. elves r emortle they dont age. .

3/6/2011 #2
Nieriel Raina

You're basing elven aging on movie casting, which isn't the same thing as the books.

Tolkien never told us how old Legolas was. Peter Jackson made up his age. Whether he's 2000 or 200 doesn't really matter. I personally think he's far younger than 2000. He doesn't ACT like the older elves in the books. Elves look ageless. Their age tends to be in the wisdom in their eyes. To me, that would mean elves age until somewhere between 25-30 and then stay looking that way. But other people may interpret 'ageless' differently.

Elrond is around 6000 during LOTR. He was born at the end of the First Age. But he wouldn't look any older than Legolas. Again, that was Peter Jackson's interpretation of the characters, NOT Tolkien's. Elves reach maturity and then stop aging. Elves didn't reach maturity until between 50-100. They aged the same as humans until age 3 then slowed down, enjoying a long childhood.

Tolkien didn't say a Hobbit of 33 was the same as a human of 18. ONly that Hobbits didn't come of age until 33. I think they recognized that people don't really mature until in their early 30s.

5/22/2011 #3
Chewiecotton

If that's the cause then alot of them are like in their teens or something :)

6/28/2011 #4
ResoluteShadow
I've always had a thought that as they're immortal, elves just reach a stage where they just stop any outward aging but continue maturing mentally. So Legolas may be young among his people, but pretty ancient compared to, let's say Pippin or Merry. Anyway, I think he's physically mid-20ish. Are you pickin up what I'm puttin down?
4/29/2012 #5
T3hWh1t3P4nth3r

I definitely agree that physically, Legolas is mid 20's.

As far as his actual age there are a couple different theories. Some people say that he is at least 500 years old because in the books he says

"Five hundred times have the red leaves fallen in Mirkwood in my home since then," said Legolas, "and but a little while does that seem to us." But they are talking about when something was built, so he could just be speaking in general so using this to speculate his age would get dicey. However, we know that he is older than Gimli which means he is over 139. In the book when they are in Fangorn Forest he refers to Aragorn and Gimli as children.

"It [the forest] is old, very old," said the Elf. "So old that almost I feel young again, as I have not felt since I journeyed with you children. It is old and full of memory. I could have been happy here, if I had come in days of peace."The Two Towers, "The White Rider"There are also theories that he could be as old as 800 or 900. Tolkien has published timelines and such that include birthdays after the first age. Legolas' is not among those listed which leads people to believe that he was born in the first age.So, yeah. He's anywhere between 140 and 900 or so. But definitely not 2000.

2/15/2014 #6
deniseevabless

Elves age slower than mortals and their ages can be mistaken. For example, an elf looks like 5 years old but is actually 20 years old. Elves reach maturity at 50 and full adulthood at 100.

Source: Lord of the Rings wikia

8/23 #7
Forum Moderators: HeartbreakDX
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member